Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • I wish I hadn't weighed my bike…
  • Kryton57

…the lightweight one. Ti frame, 2012 XT 2 x 10, Carbon post, American classics with Ron/Ralph and Sid….

25.76lb 🙁

It was electronic bathroom scales so I reckon there could be an error…. maybe its the bell?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take yer spuds off then weigh it again? 😆

khani
    Free Member

Does that include pedals? Most bike weights don’t for some reason, and bathroom scales are generally not accurate either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

is that bad?

its probably a couple of kilos lighter than my lightest bike

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seems about right. XT not that light.

Edit: though having said that, my 1×10 alu hardtail with revs and heavy tyres is 25 lbs 😆 oh and flat V12 pedals!

sefton
    Free Member

dont sweat, did the Enduro 6 this weekend. A club member did it on what looked like an 15year old ali MTB with vbrakes and old forks. 5th fastest lap of the day. trust me there where some exotic carbon bikes around!

25lb for a bike like that is good IMO.

Kryton57

I did have the pedals on, and a bell, and a mucky nutz fender…

sefton
    Free Member

what where you hoping for?

Kryton57

The 22lbs that if you took all the weights from the internet marketing BS, that it would add up to.

br
    Free Member

No point not weighing it without the stuff you normally have on it.

Mine is currently 25lb 6oz, which isn’t bad for a 20″ HT including MuddyNutz, Crud Catcher, Exposure light bracket and pedals.

Was lighter but lately I’ve broken 2 sets of CB pedals and an XTR crankset…, so 520’s and XT substitutes on.

njee20
    Free Member

Devil’s in the detail – odds are there are few culprits hiding a chunk of weight. Plenty of carbon posts can be bloody heavy for example.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you let the muck and water out of the down tube yet?

Take yer BB out, you might be surprised at the amount of gunk in there 😆

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’ll be the bell, replace the stock bell with a carbotanium one.

sefton
    Free Member

what rotors you got on it?

BadlyWiredDog

My Ti weighs pretty much that on a digital scale with… 150mm Revelations, Hope Hoops with Flows, 2.5 Minion DHF (f) / Ardent 2.25 (r) and XT brakes with a 203mm rotor up front and 180mm at the back. Also including pedals… Haven bars and stem, Fizik Gobi on a Thomson. And an XTR triple crankset nicked off my race bike.

I think you might want to weigh it on some proper scales… 😉

letmetalktomark

Hmm need more detail.

My DJab was similarly disappointing at 24.5lb with this build:

For not a huge amount of money it was easy to rid it of nearly 2.5lb.

Grips, saddle, bars, post and rotors were all holding “excess” weight.

That said the frame wasn’t particularly light at 1840g 😡

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

My large Solaris weighs 27.3 pounds with REBAS, hope/flow wheels, 1×10 XT and 2.25 Ardents, even with Spesh Renegades on its over 26 pounds.

Don’t stress, fitness will more than make up for a couple of pounds.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Has knowing it’s weight made it ride any differently?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Were you happy before you weighed it? If so, what’s changed since?

Dont get it personally.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Jeeeesus wept! Does it ride OK? Yeah? Right, stop flickin’ well worrying! 🙄

Kryton57

Right here’s the detail;

Its and Engima ego Ti (1604g)
    XT 2012 2 x 10, with 160mm ice tech rotors both ends.
    American Classic MTB wheels, shod with RRon & RRalph (snakeskin) tubeless with Stans.
    Enigma Carbon post 350mm / 205g
    Enigma Elipse Ti Saddle – 200g
    Thompson 90mm OS Stem
    Race face Dues 700mm bars
    Renthal Kevlar grips
    Enigma evolution headset 91g
    Shimano 520 pedals
    RS SID 100mm RLT
    American classic ti skewers
    Carbon headset spaces (3 of, 15mm in total 5mm above the stem which I could cut off).

Think thats it…

RustySpanner

15 inch Rock Lobster 853, one of the lightest steel frames you can buy.
    719’s on Hope hubs. XR4/Crossmark, tubes.
    Thomson post.
    Carbon bars.
    XT crank, SLX brakes & rings, Deore cassette, Spoon.
    Rebas.

Nearly 28 pounds.

Mrs’s ally (Easton Ultralight) Rock Lobster with Hope brakes, 717’s, lighter tyres, full XT, ti saddle, EA70 kit & SID’s is about 4lbs lighter & much more fun.
    Not as comfy though.

TiRed

It’ll be the bell, replace the stock bell with a carbotanium one.

Titanium, surely? MKS or Van Nichols?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Those 520 pedals have Uranium axles……..weigh a ton, them.

Northwind

Kryton57 – Member

It was electronic bathroom scales

You’re doing it wrong, “electric bathroom scales” are for when you just make up an unlikely number and want to give it at least some credibility.

trail_rat
    Free Member

frames hefty hefty for a start

Kryton57

Mister P – Member

It was a beautiful ride last weekend, and will be next weekend.

It might feel heavy at the end of next Sundays ride phsycologically, becuase its 83 miles long 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep , thomson stem needs to go , deus bars – 30-50 grams there , the pedals could go save 60 grams there with XTRS and another 40grams in the seat pin.

NJEE will probably come up with more cost effective ways im just going with how my 20 lb bikes speced 😉

Kryton57

Foam grips, remove the heliptape, trim some nobs off, trim the final 5mm of the steerer, take the Hed doctor out….

fasthaggis

Mr P

It’s Kryton57 ,everything matters 😆

cookeaa

Its not really worth weighing a bike, go on feel, does it feel light and nimble? then it’s probably fine, be content…

Spending Several hundred quid more to shave another pound or two off of your bike? don’t do it!

Surely the best use of your time and money is removing at the same or indeed greater mass form the user through exercise and pie rationing?*

*not that I’ve done that…

Alternatively go 1×10 1×5 1×3, buy the lightest rigid forks you can find, Drill holes on your crank arms, cut the post down tear the padding off the saddle and sit on the bare plastic carcass (Drilled of course), trim the bars down to 327mm wide, use foam grips remove the grips, drll more holes in anything you can and fit the thinnest walled, lightest, 1.5″ tyres you can find (Slicks maybe?).

It’ll be horrific to ride and possibly kill you, but the car park bragging rights for having a sub 22lb bike will be off the scale on the wankometer… and that’s what really counts.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Maybe try some P.E.D’s instead of worrying about a few grams here and there?

Kryton57

CookeAA, I’m not bothering to spend to lighten it, I like it as it is. It was doing just fine in some bombholes and rough singletrack with some 150mm bikes the other day, and was (of course) rocketing past them up the hills.

I was just suprised its nearly 26lbs. I wonder what mu alledged 26.5lbs ASR5 is, I’m scared to weigh it now.

Probably the scales though as said above, about 3lbs out maybe 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Shorter stem, cut 20mm off each end of the bars, file down your brake pads before using them, make sure there’s some wear on those tyres as new ones weigh a little more, remove 3 bolts from each rotor and switch to 140mm, drink less water, have a hair cut etc etc

Kryton57

fasthaggis – Member

Mr P

It’s Kryton57 ,everything matters

Sadly true, which reminds me, I’m out of dark chocolate…

njee20
    Free Member

yep , thomson stem needs to go , deus bars – 30-50 grams there , the pedals could go save 60 grams there with XTRS and another 40grams in the seat pin.

NJEE will probably come up with more cost effective ways im just going with how my 20 lb bikes speced

Nope, can’t argue with any of that, although XTRs aren’t the lightest. I would say you know they’ll work, but these days even that’s a bit of a risk!

Grips for sure, KCNC stem and post and Mt Zoom bars. What do the wheels weigh? They do a few versions don’t they?

Are they UST tyres? They’re bloody heavy.

Kryton57

Wheels are 1440g, Tyres 550g each.

molgrips
    Free Member

I actually choose Ritchey foam grips on my bikes, I find them dead comfy, they can save almost 100g and they cost like £6.

Another vote against UST.

Oh and remember bathroom scales are really not that accurate 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

My similarly spec’d Ti hardtail measured at 22.5lbs on my bathroom scales but I reckon it’s actually closer to 23-24.
    Ti frame
    RS Rev RLT Ti
    Easton Haven carbon bars
    XT 2×10
    Formula RX
    Hope Pro2 SP with Crest – RocketRon/Ralph
    Syncros carbon post with Syncros carbon seat
    ESI grips

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member

I actually choose Ritchey foam grips on my bikes, I find them dead comfy, they can save almost 100g and they cost like £6.

Me too.
    Great, aren’t they? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘I wish I hadn't weighed my bike…’ is closed to new replies.