Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I went to the velodrome Sunday and now confused
  • Janesy
    Free Member

So I went to the Newport velodrome on Sunday for a taster session. LOVED IT.
    But I’m a little confussed because we were told we have to do ‘courses’ to be able to just turn up and ride. (Accreditation) it was suggested we do the improvers session but they are fully booked until JAN 2013. -shocked.

Is this correct, to me it makes ‘track cycling’ a little unaccessable.

I would love to buy a track bike but the situation doesn’t seem very simple.

ourmaninthenorth

You need to be able to ride safely on the track – not much room for error.

You’ll be taught the skills you need to get started and ride safely.

Jan 2013 doesn’t seem that long compared with Manchester when I did it several years ago (before the big boom in track riding)

fourbanger
    Free Member

If you thought road cyclist liked rules, you’re in for a treat at the track! I’d just find a velodrome a little less up it’s own arse personally.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Janesy
    Free Member

Ah right, so iI understood correctly. Also to get in contact is a real pain in the arse. Only phone number is for the switch board and they don’t know anything. I have to wait for a call back up to 3 days.

Ah we’ll – will call Calshot in the morning, so hopefully get more sense.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

The rules are there to protect everyone, and the coaches & venues running sessions enforce them rightly. If you want to learn why, get involved.

As for waiting times, possible argument there for the need for more authorities to build facilities to meet growing demand. Probably a spike following the games, but a sustainable one hopefully.

All good for cycling, should be celebrated – nowt else.

r0bh
    Free Member

If you thought road cyclist liked rules, you’re in for a treat at the track! I’d just find a velodrome a little less up it’s own arse personally.

Yeah, because velodromes are ten a penny in the UK aren’t they!

To the OP – being able to ride safely in a large group on an indoor velodrome requires a different skillset to road/MTB. It’s generally simple stuff (maintain a constant speed on the blue line, look before you change line) but it only takes one person who isn’t competent to make a training session on the boards very sketchy indeed.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It sounds like you already ride track, you will then appreciate that you can’t just jump in to an intermediate/advanced training session just because you did an induction, the rules are there to help eliminate accidents caused by inexperienced riders.

Due to the increase in popularity of track riding sessions get booked up well in advance, at herne hill there were silly numbers turning up for induction in the summer.

More velodromes need to be built. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

sounds like you are going round and round in circles

gary

Ah we’ll – will call Calshot in the morning, so hopefully get more sense.

Calshot has much the same setup, 3 step process before you are accredited for the training sessions. They may be less booked up but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was much the same

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/calshot/track-cycling.htm

wwaswas

The Madison Blues?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAcBCGOdDTo[/video]

(note other than the title this song is not about bike riding. And I suspect the title isn’t really, either)

HermanShake
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kghtRevkUJA[/video]

Build yer own 😉

I see both sides, track is a bit elitist. But it seems to draw a particularly focused type of rider, often roadies. We’ve all read ‘the rules’ right?

It’s good fun but you need somewhere you’ll feel comfortable to train or it’s not worth it. Ben at Calshot is really friendly, don’t stop pedalling!

coatesy
    Free Member

Possible that you could get your accreditation done quicker at Maindy Stadium in Cardiff, but it’s outdoors, so not so pleasant at this time of year.Look up Maindy Flyers website to check for details.

crazy-legs

Possible that you could get your accreditation done quicker at Maindy Stadium in Cardiff, but it’s outdoors, so not so pleasant at this time of year.Look up Maindy Flyers website to check for details.

Accreditation at Maindy will count for nothing at Newport, it’s a completely different style of track.
    In fact, Manchester refuses to recognise accreditation gained from Newport and vice versa and they’re near enough identical tracks! Brings on the slightly farcical situation where an experienced Newport rider has to start all over again at Manchester…

Keep phoning them, ask if there are any cancellations. But equally, you’re doing track accred at the wrong time of year. Track season has started now so Newport and Manchester are much busier with races than they are during summer. Time to do accred is in the summer when the tracks are quieter and there are more training sessions rather than races.

charlierevell
    Free Member

We we’re probably on just before you then, we had the 10-1 slot with BCDS at Newport.
    I suggest trying to find a private session with a coach, this is how I do it.

Accreditation is only needed really for open riding and drop in sessions/racing.

Im not accredited and ride in an advanced group every month through the winter, however I cant do any of the drop in sessions. I looked at it but it seemed a faff to complete it when I was unlikely to head up and do any of the drop ins anyway.

Have a look and see if you can find a club that go more regularly and dont need accreditation.
    Oh… and the rules are only there for good reason!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I did the same. I got onto the beginners course and then straight onto the improvers and got accredited

Might be worth joining the newport velodrome track sessions facebook page

There are often fast track courses going.

OF course, if you can do all the drills and can ride safely there’s nothing stopping you doing accreditation straight off but it’s not advised

Janesy
    Free Member

Seems a bit of a faff.
    I’ve spoken to 3 people at the Newport velodrome and still no closer to booking a session.

All beginners courses booked up until March 2013 and the improvers which we were told we could do is End of Jan 2013 but they have to wait for the guy taking the session to allow us on it.

Oh well. Getting slightly more disappointed with this tbh.

rOcKeTdOg – Member

sounds like you are going round and round in circles

This ^^

gearfreak
    Free Member

You only need to be Accredited to race track league and for the SQT sessions (Stuctured Quality Training). There are other drop in sessions which you can go to as long as you can ride safely.
    (How did you get on in your taster session? Were you riding on the Blue line, were you comfortable up there? If you were more than slightly nervous, then wait and do a full course. What other experience do you have, ie if you regularly ride in a group on the road, or chaingang many of the skills transfer)

I’d recommend the Wed’s morning drop in, Brian who normally coaches it is very friendly and can give you pointers. (He also coaches the beginner and inter courses).

There is also an easy riders session, and tues and thurs lunchtime dropins.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I went to the velodrome Sunday and now confused’ is closed to new replies.