• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I went to my ENT appointment now I have an Mri scan in a few weeks ?!?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I wasn’t expecting to hear that !

Consultant said he’s not looking for cancers/tumours so that has made me feel better… Says I have nerve damage on ear drum he thinks…

I’ll be honest feel quite shellshocked he wants mri of ear and brain my hearing is down on left side which is why I was reffered.

My overactive brain is working tripple time right now what if it shows up something else ?? Referring to my previous post of getting older this is a prime example of why

willard

Don’t worry about it, seriously.

I had sudden tinitus a few months ago and got a very quickly organised MRI of my skull to discount some things, one of which was a tumour.

All it did was confirm that I actually had a brain, something that both my mum and my wife had been denying for a long time. Mind you, I also got a really cool picture of a cross-section of my head.

Don’t worry.

rj2dj
    Free Member

If he was worried you’d be having a scan a lot quicker than that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

hearing is down on left side

Speak up Man!!

Hey, we’ve all been referred to hospital for something at some time haven’t we?

I’ve just gotten over the initial thoughts of stomach cancer, was in incredible pain for hours during the early hours of the morning, happened 3 times and was hospitalised each time and and all srots of checks/tests were performed. My diagnosis was a simple one in the end and not aligned to Cancer at all..
    Suggest you take it in your stride and relax.

nickc

**not a doctor**

I think he’s probably just ruling out that something is pressing on the nerve that’s very very rare anyway, just to be sure. Probably nothing to worry about

**not a doctor**

edward2000
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8SToEQPGw[/video]

wilko1999
    Free Member

I had an MRI on my head last Friday. I’d been up since 4:30 with my early-waking toddler and fell asleep in the scanner which is no mean feat as it is bl88dy noisy in there. A bit like an 80’s industrial techno illegal rave.

iainc

MRI can be a bit claustrophobic, but they usially offer you tunes and a blindfold 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I usually fall asleep in the scanner, I find the sounds kind of… soothing? I also find white noise helps me sleep though.

prettygreenparrot

Is this gradual hearing loss you’ve had? And you’ve had audiology to measure your hearing loss and type of hearing loss?

They might want to exclude a schwannoma. Not that there’s much to be done with these unless they cause real problems.

I saw an ENT surgeon last year for continued HF hearing loss and tinnitus on one side. Had an MRI. Had a repeat MRI with Gd-DTPA contrast. Result: nothing of note on the affected side. Probable schwannoma on the other. Action needed: none. Though I’ve had a repeat scan to see if there’s any change in size. There wasn’t.

I also find the sound of an MRI scanner is oddly relaxing.

Back in the day (the late 80s) schwannomas (acoustic neuromas then) turned up on quite a few cranial MRI scans in people with no symptoms. An interesting incidental finding.

ourmaninthenorth

My mother has had an MRI for a very similar concern: no obvious cause other tinnitus.

Whereas mine was brought on by s single night in a club 20 years ago. ENT chap I saw the other day (impacted wax) is sending me for a hearing test soon ands follow up appointment. But that’s because BUPA is paying.

I have to have biennial MRI scans – I get to hear the sound of a camp nurse telling me to “breathe in, hold your breath, breath out” for around an hour. Very tedious.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

And you’ve had audiology to measure your hearing loss and type of hearing loss? Yes left side not as good as right.

Really noticed its been like this since the beginning of the year but hearing not got any worse i.e same now as in Jan this year, if I hold my nose and blow it clears for a few seconds ! Doc didn’t think this was relevant.

Hope its not a schwannomas !

prettygreenparrot

@ourmaninthenorth

I have to have biennial MRI scans – I get to hear the sound of a camp nurse telling me to “breathe in, hold your breath, breath out” for around an hour. Very tedious.

I’m guessing that these are not scans of your head from the breath holding :|. The ‘nurse’ is probably a radiographer.

I’m surprised that they don’t have a ‘breath in. hold your breathe. breathe out’ sample that plays in sync with the imaging sequence. It was all the rage with one manufacturer’s machines years ago.

poah
    Free Member

I had an MRI on my head last Friday. I’d been up since 4:30 with my early-waking toddler and fell asleep in the scanner which is no mean feat as it is bl88dy noisy in there. A bit like an 80’s industrial techno illegal rave.

I did that too and my father inlaw fell asleep during a SPECT camera scan last week. must be something about the noises they make

twixhunter
    Free Member

Had the same a few years ago re tinnitus. I don’t know whether to ask if you’ve had the nasal probe yet? :mrgreen: (Think Total Recall).

Seriously though I think I had both MRI and CT Scan so they could discount things – mainly tumours.

It’s a long shot but are you in the Manchester area? I could recommend a good ENT consultant if so.

poah
    Free Member

and now you have a 0.4% greater change of getting a tumour because of the CT scan ha ha ha :p

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I went to my ENT appointment now I have an Mri scan in a few weeks ?!?’ is closed to new replies.