Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I went to change gear. What happened next will blow your mind!
  • kayak23

Maybe not blow your mind, but check out this unusually shaped gear cable.

Seen that happen before? I’m currently in Les Arc and it’s hotter than a firefly’s back pocket. Could it be that?

There seemed to be a big resistance when changing up the sprocket and then this.

I might have crashed a little at some point so could be localised stress I suppose, but I changed the cable (didn’t have an outer) and shortened the outer and it was still trying to happen so I made a temporary splint. Works fine for the mo.
    Just thought I’d share. As you were.

Also, here is a Tignes Marmot.

🙂

jam-bo

Yep. Had that happen once. Outer blew itself apart. Was on the quantocks so I don’t think heat came into it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Impressive, but you forgot to include a link to a site with 1000 popups.

mtbfix

Also noting the Giant grips. Dead comfy but worn away by the mere sight of a gloved hand.

kayak23

mtbfix – Member
    Also noting the Giant grips. Dead comfy but worn away by the mere sight of a gloved hand

Indeed! Purely sacrificial for this trip. 😀

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Usually happens when the sheath around the outer gets so worn it can no longer hold the metal strands of the cable in line, or if the sheath has a cut or split in it. Had it a few times where the cable rubs the frame. Once on a brake cable 😯
    Brakes got really spongy then suddenly weren’t spongy at all.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve had that happen.

It shocked me.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That title, very clickbait material-esque! 😆

But back to the bike, thank goodness your Wazoo is still ok.

deadkenny
    Free Member

You don’t reveal the clickbait until you’ve got them to click through 100 pages of junk and adverts first. Even better never reveal it at all.

kayak23

thank goodness your Wazoo is still ok.

Yes, there was a slight slip of the gears but I stayed on the saddle thankfully.
    😉

rOcKeTdOg

My mind is intact, can I get compensation?

DezB
    Free Member

That title, very clickbait material-esque!

Well spotted that man! 😆
    I keep wanting to do titles like that but not clever enough.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Seen it happen on the Quantocks too, wrapped about a dozen small zip ties around the outer to hold it together long enough to get home.

singlespeedstu

Nice beavermarmot. 😀

jam-bo

Seen it happen on the Quantocks too, wrapped about a dozen small zip ties around the outer to hold it together long enough to get home.

Dels stump?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I went to change gear. What happened next will blow your mind!’ is closed to new replies.