Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • I was happy… now I'm unhappy… and undecided (Ibis HD140 / SL-R content)…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Slightly ironic that on the day I receive my Mojo HD140 (after 6 looong months of waiting), Ibis come out with their new Mojo SL-R… and now I’m undecided and unhappy…

If I’m honest with myself, I don’t really need the 160/180mm capabilities of the HD, so 90%+ of the time the HD is going to be in 140mm mode, in which case, I think the SL-R will be a better option for me (why didn’t they announce it a week or two ago!)…

I’m nearly certain that if both had been available to order back in October ’10, I probably would’ve gone the SL-R – it’s got most of the attributes of the HD (without the extra burliness needed for running a 180mm fork or coil rear), it’s Ibis’s most ‘modern’ frame (all the new ‘standards’ in one place, new advanced layup etc), I can still run it 140mm rear/160mm front and can still slacken it out with an Angleset if I want…

Help me out here Ibisians (and interested parties), am I missing something? Should I stick with the HD, or bite the bullet and wait another 2-3 months for the SL-R… 🙁

Mojo HD
    Mojo HD140
    Mojo SL-R

beanieripper
    Free Member

ride your bike

shredder
    Free Member

I went through a similar thought process had a SL but wanted the Maxle rear tapered h/tube. So started to look at the HD in 140 guise as a beefed up SL replacement I suppose.
    Then stopped as I realised it was a compromise to get those frame features.
    I have gone down a different route with a Nicolai now, but had I not I would have bought the SL-R in a flash it’s the evolution of the SL but now lighter and tougher …….. perfect.

psychle
    Free Member

but wanted the Maxle rear tapered h/tube. So started to look at the HD in 140 guise as a beefed up SL replacement I suppose

Exactly the same here… Decided to splurge on a Mojo (my dream bike), thought the SL was a little too XC for me, plus I wanted the newer features like maxle and tapered HT (and routing for dropper post etc), so decided on the HD140… then the SL-R appears! It’s bloody perfect for me, but can I wait another 2-3 months 🙁

slowrider
    Free Member

psychle you poor bugger! Your hd looks like it will build up ace but I can imagine your holiday being ruined by these doubts! The slr sounds right up your street, do you think your shop would have the hd back?

sambob
    Free Member

You’re kidding 😯 You’ve waited 6 months for a bike frame. If you hadn’t heard about the SL-R you would still be WOOHOOing about your HD140. Just ride the thing.

psychle
    Free Member

I’m only getting one shot at this ‘dream bike’ thing (at least for 2-3 years), want to get it right!

If you hadn’t heard about the SL-R you would still be WOOHOOing about your HD140

Too late now… I know about the new frame 🙁

The slr sounds right up your street, do you think your shop would have the hd back?

It’s still sitting in it’s box in the store, won’t be getting built up for a week or so, so should be simple enough for 2Pure to take it back? Sure there’s someone out there on the HD140 Vitamin P waitlist!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is it just about waiting or will you loose money on the HD if you switch into the SL-R?
    Bear in mind you’d need to put in an cane creek angle set to back of the HA before it’s going to feel remotely like a lighter HD140.
    It is only 1lb heavier after all. What are you planning to put onto the frame? More than likely you could save 1lb on the build.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ll have the new one, but can you wait another possibly 6 months?

kimbers

ride the hd140 itll be excellent fun im sure

mamadirt
    Free Member

No matter what you buy, a few months down the line there’ll always be a better, faster, lighter, etc, etc, model. Stick with the retro stuff 😉

Feel your pain though – similar has happened to me so many times – bought what I thought would be the ultimate frame only to spot something ‘better’ while browsing, ending up losing loads of cash following my heart. Last time that happened I’d just imported a bargain NOS Kona from the states – turned out to be not so much of a bargain when the tax bill arrived – perfect little frame for me . . . until I spotted an old flame for sale over on SDH 😛 – well it would’ve been rude not too (although I lost loads on the Kona sale).

Follow your heart . . .

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jeeze what are you going to be like when it comes to choosing a name for your child??? 😯

Actually, just let T do it. Far, far less hassle…. 😆

psychle
    Free Member

Bear in mind you’d need to put in an cane creek angle set to back of the HA before it’s going to feel remotely like a lighter HD140.

Already have the Angleset for the HD, pretty sure it’d work in the SL-R as well (same headtube right?). No idea if I’d lose money on the deal, I’m guessing the SL-R will be a touch more expensive (looks to be USD$100 more on Ibis’ website, so probably £100 more over here?). The 1lb doesn’t bother me really (500gm, puh!), I think it’s more the fact this is a more ‘modern’ frame; the new molding particularly looks interesting, as does the Syntace 142mm dropouts, (which the HD is soon to have as an update!)

shredder
    Free Member

I never saw my SL as an out and out XC bike just a great trail bike. Slowly beefed it up a little with 10mm bolt through rear , flow rims and quite often ran my Revs at 150mm on it all suited it great.

So the SL-R would ahve brought all that, if it were me I would send the HD bck if you only have one shot at this bike.

psychle
    Free Member

Jeeze what are you going to be like when it comes to choosing a name for your child?

Already done 🙂 Robert David Graham! 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

In reality, what will the “new moulding” give you? 142mm? Do you have any problems with 135mm?

Ride the HD, surely having a nice bike to ride is better than having to wait another 3+ months?

psychle
    Free Member

In reality, what will the “new moulding” give you?

nothing I guess… I’m a sucker for marketing though 😆

Do you have any problems with 135mm?

Have never had a 135 x 12mm rear, but have heard that it’s more fiddly than the newer 142mm standard?

The fancy new RP23 with their Kashima coating sounds good as well (Scot Nicol reckons the ‘Adaptive Logic Boost Valve’ really makes a difference to performance)…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think you’ll lose 3 months fiddling with the 135mm dropouts though

psychle
    Free Member

True.

vinnyeh

How’s the sl-r going to be better for you?
    You don’t need the new standards, the weight difference doesn’t matter, and it’s going to be a couple of months minimum off. You’re worry seems to be mainly that it’s newer.
    Then again, if that’s going to prey on your mind and spoil the ride for you, then swap, else make the most of what you’ve got.

Better the bird in the hand etc.

Scot Nicol reckons the ‘Adaptive Logic Boost Valve’ really makes a difference to performance)…

But will it make a difference to your performance on the bike?

psychle
    Free Member

I like the Vitamin P colour more than any of the SL-R colours… 😆 😳

**** it… now way I can wait till end of June/early August for this bike, that’s the end of Summer and when Bob’s due, not like I’ll get much riding in (for a while) once he’s around! Better make the most of the next 3 months and rag the HD140 senseless… 8)

But will it make a difference to your performance on the bike?

Hell no… I’m fat and slow 😆

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Looks like you’ve got an Ibis obsession . . .

Never get obsessed by anything, that’s my moto!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What if you go on a riding holiday to the Alps? The “must ride” place for all mtbers! Your HD will be easily upto the job, put the travel upto 160mm and away you go. That new one may fall apart since it only weighs next to **** all

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Already done Robert David Graham!

Seeing as you’re Aussies, surely that’s ‘Robbo Daveo’??

She’ll be right, Raelene…

kimbers

if you wait for the SL-R youll only be upset when the next dream bike comes along with the latest must have improvements

and as far as i can see you are getting hung up on 7mm extra width and a nano particle scale coating

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well if the weight isn’t an issue then the new fabrication techniques may be appealing, but you’re still going to have a stonger, stiffer frame with the HD than the SL-R. Really the only reason you’d feel bummed out is because you could save a pound in weight.

The Mojo HD is an amazing bike. It’s so versatile so what you lose with the extra weight, you gain with the sheer flexibility of the thing. I’ve ridden HeiHei’s in three different guises (F/R: 160/140, 160/160 and 180/160) and it’s brilliant in all of them.

psychle
    Free Member

I’m convinced… thanks STW, always good to chat with someone (or a lot of someone’s) to realise you’re being silly! 😳

Stay tuned for the final build of the Hornet (as I’m going to call it)! Going to get something like this as a decal for it:

spock
    Free Member

You’ll miss a summers riding on a mojo! Mad i tell ya

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

PMSL! I can’t believe this thread.

When I saw that article on the new Mojo I wondered if there will now be some unused HD’s in the classifieds 😀

cinnamon_girl

psychle – I feel your pain! I totally understand where you are coming from, you will always wonder ‘what if’.

You need to think logically – how often will this be used and where. Your circumstances will be changing and that needs to be taken into account.

FWIW I’m really enjoying my Mojo, feel completely overbiked, but am having chain suck issues. Actually it’s become a pita. 🙁

The new model seems to indicate that this has been sorted and, personally, that would sway me.

Good luck!

smell_it
    Free Member

There comes a time to start enjoying, and stop fretting but it’s not something you seem able to do. Don’t let it pass you by, start enjoying what you got rather than thinking what you need. You never know what’s round the corner.

ashfanman
    Free Member

No matter what you buy, a few months down the line there’ll always be a better, faster, lighter, etc, etc, model.

^^^this.

What’s to say that you wouldn’t wait for another three months then Ibis (or Santa Cruz or whoever) announce something better? If you kept that up you’d never actually own a bike – there will always be some minor improvement just around the corner!

In this particular instance, most of the updates will probably make absolutely no discernable difference. And while you may not plan on running the HD in 160 mode that often, I’d happily pay the 1 lb weight penalty to have that option. Also, as you quite rightly state, the VitP colour is much cooler than any of the SL-R options, and we all know that’s the most important thing. 😉

If you needed more convincing, by the time three months have passed you will have missed the best riding of the year.

Basically, stop whinging like a big girl, be happy with the fact that you’ve got one of the best, most desirable bikes on the market (we should all be so lucky!) and go out and ride the bloody thing! :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread beggars belief.

Sorry. WTF do you need 180mm travel.

You are a marketeer’s dream.

brakes
    Free Member

which should I buy?
    which shoudl I sell?
    buy?
    sell?
    BOOOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGG
    just
    get
    out
    and
    ride
    🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

His bikes need rescuing 😥

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Get out and ride it.

mattyboy24
    Free Member

hd, mine pedals better than my old st4 and goes downhill just as well as my old 6 inch commencal supreme! simply, the bike rocks!

if you really are that bothered, get over to bike tart, Adam will be able to get both in for a demo ride…….

psychle
    Free Member

It’s all good chaps… I’m sticking with what I have (such a hardship I know 😆 ), a bird in the hand and all that. I’m sure I’ll be completely happy with the HD, once I get that first ride in!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Beautiful looking bike and I’m sure it’ll be fantastic to ride, but at two and a half grand for the frame… I’m out.

Applaud companies like Ibis for making the best bikes they possibly can. I know it’s not really the point, but I could spend 2.5k on the ibis frame or spend half that much and get a frame that performs (in my incapable amateurish hands) just as well. I’d probably do the latter.

I do wonder who this bike is for. I can see the point of making the lightest, stiffest, best bike possible, when it comes to XC race bikes. But for trail bikes…? Suppose it might make a great enduro bike for the pro’s, but most normal folk would probably choose a burlier longer travel bike.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘I was happy… now I'm unhappy… and undecided (Ibis HD140 / SL-R content)…’ is closed to new replies.