Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • I want to make a big piece of concrete to secure my bike to…advice pls
  • Murray

It’s all about increasing the time and resource needed for an attack. There is no such thing as perfect security.

See Ross Anderson’s book on security engineering:
    “The typical bank vault is certified to resist attack for ten minutes, yet your local Fire Department can get in there in two minutes using an abrasive wheel.”

brakes
    Free Member

It’s all about increasing the time and resource needed for an attack

exactly. one £100 lock that takes 10 minutes to get through, or 3 different £25 locks that require 5 minutes to get through each and three different types of tool?
    this is also why I keep my bike storage messy with paint pots, boxes and bits of wood to get past and trip over before you can get to the bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s all about increasing the time and resource needed for an attack.

Or noise. I live in a semi with an integral garage, at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac with about 10 houses around in a circle facing each other. My locks could be defeated with an angle grinder, but it’d wake most of the neighbourhood I imagine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

brakes – Member

this is also why I keep my bike storage messy with paint pots, boxes and bits of wood to get past and trip over before you can get to the bikes.

Or at least that’s the excuse you use when “asked” about it… 🙂

Northwind

brakes – Member

exactly. one £100 lock that takes 10 minutes to get through, or 3 different £25 locks that require 5 minutes to get through each and three different types of tool?

Sure, but see those locks you posted? A properly equipped thief will be able to cut those off faster than you can open them with the keys, and no louder, with a tool that cost about as much as one of the chains.

cookeaa

…This would create a 30kg weight…

30kg doesn’t present much of a challenge to a couple of fellas especially if all they have to do is lug your bike (~15kg?) plus a 30kg bucket 20-30 ft into a waiting transit van, alarm or not they’d be long gone before you were out of bed and down the stairs…

If you can excavate a trench/pit of some sort and as others have suggested bury your means of restraint (tied to some rebar) before concreting it in then that is about as secure as you could reasonably manage to make it IMO…

The inherent trouble with portable security arrangements is their portability.

brakes
    Free Member

Sure, but see those locks you posted? A properly equipped thief will be able to cut those off faster than you can open them with the keys, and no louder, with a tool that cost about as much as one of the chains.

allowing for a bit of exaggeration, I don’t disagree with you. there are of course other security measures that I won’t go into.
    what tool are you on about anyway? bolt cutters? or something hydraulic?

mickolas
    Free Member

how’s about:
    dig a trench 1.75m x 0.5m and 0.5m deep.
    fill with 3:2:1 concrete mix
    lower bike in and watch, day and night, until fully set.

sleep like a baby, safe in the knowledge that no amount of sawing your frame will yield it to the thieving scum.

Northwind

brakes – Member

allowing for a bit of exaggeration, I don’t disagree with you.

Nah, seriously, I think you’d probably be surprised… Almax used to tour the motorbike shows with a set of big boltcutters, and challenge anyone to bring their locks along and test them. Funnilly enough, none of their competitors ever did, in fact they eventually got Almax banned from the shows… But in the meantime, you could try against their examples, or do your own. And it’s literally snip, snip. (unless the link is overhardened in which case, one cut does it, the other side snaps)

I weigh nowt and I have muscles like grapes but I still cut my Sold Secure Gold chain like it was made of cheese.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I want to make a big piece of concrete to secure my bike to…advice pls’ is closed to new replies.