Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I want to learn to climb but have no friends
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I did an intro course at calshot a few years ago. Really enjoied it but never managed to go back and progress as I had no parnter. Calshot is my nearest indoor wall (about 45 min from where I live) so although a bit far it is doable for an evening. I asked about turing up solo but the general concensus seemed to be that it would be hard to hook up with people like this.

At the moment I’m just practising a few knots at home to refresh the memory but think it could be a good weekday evening activity and hopefully develope to do some trad climbing.

Is there a climbing lonely hearts? No one with experence will want to climb with me as it will be dull for them.

bails

Is there a bouldering wall there? If so, go there to practise and if it’s anything like where I occasionally go you’ll see the same faces there each time you’re there. Either speak to the regulars or put a notice up asking for a climbing partner. Belaying is belaying at the end of the day, it’s not going to make much difference to the person holding the other end of the rope if you’re climbing a 4 or a 7C graded route.

Or look for climbing clubs. I live in the flat midlands but there’s a mountaineering club that’s at my ‘local’ wall at least once a week.

gordimhor

Try UKC

chojin
    Free Member

I’m looking at introducing a few people into climbing at Calshot or the new wall at Romsey. You’re welcome to join us.

Since I’m the only one with climbing experience in the group, I’ll have to belay all night anyway. One more won’t make any difference 🙂

Give me a shout on dmerralls at gmail.com

DezB
    Free Member

Start a Climbers Meetup group? http://www.meetup.com/

I had a search and there isn’t one.

[edit]Previous post looks like a better idea 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Red Spider Bouldering

opening shortly for bouldering.

I had the same dilemma and because of work I kept letting people down so stopped annoying people and went bouldering. Still do. Climb occasionally but mostly boulder.

As others have said its worth asking on UKclimbing for climbing partners, theres usually folks who similarly want partners. don’t be intimidated thinking they are better, chances are they similarly cant climb without a partner and will be thankful. you’ll also maybe pick up some hints and tips and improve grade.

TheBrick
    Free Member

@chojin That would be good I will email.

@bails I was thinking of doing that but was not sure I’d meet any one.

@ti_pin_man I too worry about lettign people down as a travel a bit for work at short notice, like I may begoing away next week, I may not!

brooess
    Free Member

Local climbing club – as above, check UKC and people at Calshot

You want to learn from experienced, safe climbers rather than friends anyway…

I used to climb with friends at Uni, and they knew far less than they thought they did about best practice…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

then boulder inbetween sir. I prefer it to climbing with ropes these days.

gordimhor

Try again UkC

anagallis_arvensis
    mark90
    Free Member

My local wall run a ‘guaranteed partner scheme’ on certain weekday evenings. They will help pair up singles and if there is an odd number an instructor will belay. So no matter how many singles turn up it only requires one instructor to facilitate. You can drop in or out at any time. Might be worth suggesting it to your local wall, it seems to encourage people to pop in for an after work session.

cheese@4p

Climb Buddy App may be worth a try.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Going to try uko too thanks.

JulianA
    Free Member

I used to climb a few years ago and, as has been said above, it makes no difference to the belayer what grade the climber is on. Most walls have different grades on the same wall anyway so both partners can get a good climb.

Some places have ‘self belaying’ routes as well – Alton used to have a couple, don’t know if they still do but might be worth checking that out as well.

Most places have a bouldering wall anyway. I found that these can be as hard as the belayed walls!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I want to learn to climb but have no friends’ is closed to new replies.