Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I want to go to the Isle of Skye
  • rascal
    Free Member

Wanted to go for years but might actually get round to it this year.
    Me and the better half would like to go when we’re not likely to get chomped by midges.
    I’ll be taking the bike – would consider camping or a cottage. Will prob drive and break journey half way from Leicestershire. If you’ve been and have some pointers that would be grand…campsites, rentals, pubs, rides, not crazy deadly knife edge ridge walks, must-visit spots etc – cheers

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Bookmarked as there are Imperial Progress plans afoot.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Take an umbrella.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for those pearls of wisdom

dufusdip
    Free Member

Talisker distillery is well worth it. There’s a nice amble down to Talisker beach where the sand is black. Not been on MTB at all so can’t comment on routes but sure there was an out and back in either ST or MBUK recently.

Midges are almost inevitable but you might get lucky in May. June to Aug can vary from annoyance to intolerable, but if there is a wind up then it’s OK. On Skye that can also be quite frequent.

Good chippy in Portree but beware the kamikaze seagulls.

cbike
    Free Member

To avoid midges come now or before may/june. May is usually quite good.

Break journey here and get advice from my folks. http://www.balmillig.co.uk There is lots to see before you even get there.

Take ferry or walk over to http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/lochcoruisk.shtml

vorlich
    Free Member

White Tail Croft.
    It’s got a sauna and a mostly buried Fiat 500 nearby! 🙂

Sligachan out and back makes for a very pleasant few of hours on the bike.

pjt201
    Free Member

I’ll second white tail croft – lovely place to stay. I think Brant has stayed there too…

postierich
    Free Member

Tis good not much biking 🙂
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nzrich/albums/72157600305868872
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/NHnDg]Short cut to Slig[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love it..
    Not been for a couple of years, but do inted to return.
    We stayed at Knott..
    It’s beautiful.

I’m no photographer, but you get the idea…

Waderider
    Free Member

Spend a night at Rubha Hunish in the Lookout. I’ve seen minke and killer whales there, plus the views over the minch are outstanding. Bike Sligachan to Camasunary if the rivers are low. Sgurr na Stri is the best wee hill in Scotland, especially on a clear day. The Quirang on a road bike is nice.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ahh yes, I remember that day when I stopped near The Old Man. The spotting scope almost blew away while I was under the brolly keeping the rain off. Lovely place if it’s not pissin down & blowing a hoolie.

g5604
    Free Member

Did this website at work, really want to go. Has a little shed for bikes;

http://thecroftershouse.com/

timba
    Free Member

Too many of what the locals call “soft” days, i.e. misty drizzle when we went one August
    Beautiful place with not many pubs, cafes, etc open on Sundays (that might have changed, it was a few years ago)
    I can vouch for Talisker and the midges

Houns

Had one day on there week before last. Fairy pools and the Old Man are stunning

ahwiles
    Free Member

Roughly speaking, it’s the south, and the east, that are more ‘dramatic’…

We went in September, it was warm(ish), with few midges.

If you feel so inclined, I can recommend a day out with ‘Skayak’ (sea kayaking), as a great way to get up close to seals, otters, Eagles, etc.

We left via the ferry to Malaig, where you’re not far from some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

piha
    Free Member

One of my favourite places to visit and I agree with all the comments above. Wonderful photo’s up there^^

I ‘discovered’ Skye when I had a work trip there many years ago and I found it most agreeable. I’ve since been back a few times and I’ve always enjoyed my time there. The views, weather, people, pubs, food and even the journey there are all an experience. I’ve stayed in peoples houses, cottages, hotels and camped. I love the walk from Sligachan to Loch Coriusk, it feels like a true wilderness to me. I even saw a sea eagle take out a black backed gull in mid air once!

Drive to Mallaig and get the ferry across to Ardvasaar (sp?). Renting a cottage is my preferred method of accommodation but it is a big island so plan where you want to visit and then where to stay.

I haven’t been for a few years so I must get round to getting back up there. I look forward to the photos OP.

arrpee
    Free Member

Three Chimneys for lunch or dinner. Still the best meal I’ve ever had.

bubs

If you like wildlife and fresh seafood then this place is a bit special (or at least it was when we went): http://www.lochbayboathouse.co.uk/description.php

ransos
    Free Member

If you’ve been and have some pointers that would be grand…campsites, rentals, pubs, rides, not crazy deadly knife edge ridge walks, must-visit spots etc – cheers

We’ve been a couple of times, staying near Dunvegan in the north. If you’re splashing out on food, there’s the Three Chimenys and Kinloch Lodge, both have Michelin Stars. I think the Three Chimneys is far superior. Cheaper options include the place on the pier at Armadale (have the scallops) and a seafood restaurant at Stein (next to the pub).
    Walking: if you don’t fancy scrambling up to the Inn Pinn (which is admittedly a bit hairy)you could try Bruach na Frithe from the Sligachan hotel. It’s a Munro but navigation is a bit easier than some of the others, and there’s little or no scrambling (if I recall correctly). Gentler walks away from the Cuillin include the Tables of Macleod. You’ll probably have them to yourself. There is an interesting walk at the lighthouse at Neist point, if you like geology as there are loads of basalt rock formations – like a mini Giant’s Causeway.
    Wildlife tours are great: we did one from Elgol, seeing dolphins, seals and a mahoosive basking shark. Loads of bird life too.
    If you have warm weather the coral beaches are gorgeous.
    There were midges when we went, but the persistent breeze usually makes them bearable.

gordimhor

I stayed in the bunkhouse here but can recommend the The Old Inn The Old Inn Carbost

trail_rat
    Free Member

we are heading up in april for an early season tour…. I suspect it will be wet and windy and probably cold – maybe even still icy….

But thats what we planned for. anything else a bonus.

globalti
    Free Member

Definitely park at Elgol and take the boat across to Coruisk, which is one of the most inaccessible places in Britain. Boat back or walk out via the Bad Step (not bad at all) and round to spend a night at Camsunary then up the LR track to Kilmarie, or even walk along the coast to Elgol.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m going end of March/early April. I’m gearing up for pretty much every weather condition imaginable

Waderider
    Free Member

“round to spend a night at Camsunary”

Bothy closed, now replaced with a crap shelter with no fireplace. Boo to the landowner.

julesf7
    Free Member

Almost in direct result to this thread we have decided to take our autumn break on Skye, time to go back and explore more. Some absolutely wonderful accommodation suggestions above (lovely website, g5604) but no dogs. Can anyone recommend a good self-catering that would accept a couple of (well-trained) dogs?

jimbo45
    Free Member

Theres a write up on a ride on skye in mbr this month,

slowoldman

I spent a delightful week in a tent down in Glen Brittle, reading books, drinking tea, eating biscuits, waiting for the rain to stop so we could do the Cuillin Ridge traverse. It didn’t. Then we came home. Lying in the tent with the sea lapping up the beach is very pleasant though. If you want to get up on the ridge for a look without any scary exposure, the walk up through Coire Lagan from the campsite is lovely.

grum
    Free Member

Amazing place but I wouldn’t bother taking a mountain bike personally.

user-removed
    Free Member

Well worth a visit to the rustic charms of The Oyster Shed – http://www.skyeoysterman.co.uk/

Choose a decent day and sit in the lean to eating the freshest sea food imaginable whilst admiring the views. Cheaper than chips too.

There’s loads of riding on Skye if you don’t mind a bit of pushing and out and back type rides. Plus one for Glen Sligichan – hard, hard going but mostly flat and amazing scenery to take your mind off the pain…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just before skye the Plockton inn is lovely. Dunvegan, take a spinning rod and fish for pollack. The whole place is beautiful

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I want to go to the Isle of Skye’ is closed to new replies.