Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I want to get a light bracket 3-D printed – who can I get to do this?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I have a 2008 Exposure Joystick but no handlebar bracket. I’ve fashioned a reasonable bodge from zip ties and velcro but what I really want is the equivalent of the Exposure Flash bracket – as per the photo – but at a much wider diameter – Joystick is about 10mm thicker.

Are there any 3-D printing companies who could be sent a photo of the Flash bracket and the dimension of the Joystick who would then print one for me?

wwaswas

Wiggle say this fits the Joystick?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-quick-release-bracket-for-helmet-mounted-lights/

can’t see you gettting one printed cheaper.

[edit] otherwise these guys do loads of stuff;

http://www.racewaredirect.co/

njee20
    Free Member

Buy the Wiggle one – my Diablo came with one, it’s good, used it for commuting all winter.

3D printed parts can be a bit brittle given you’re relying on the inbuilt flex to hold your light, and it’ll cost more.

brooess
    Free Member

Wrong Joystick – 2008 is much thicker than the current one – c 20mm, hence the bodge/3D printing idea

wwaswas

this one says 2008? I had one of the original ones and it came with this style of bar mount

has those reuseable zip ties too but not as removable as the one you showed.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-zip-tie-handlebar-mount-for-joystick-front-lights/

DezB
    Free Member

Bloke here at work is a cyclist and has just bought himself a 3D printer of which he is extremely chuffed… could give him a try for you…

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks Dez, email in profile if he’s happy to help. Happy to grease his palm with silver in return.

The ones on Wiggle aren’t quite what I’m after + all the 3D printing suppliers just print, they need me to supply a file of the thing I want printed which I obviously don’t have…

richmars

Most rapid prototype companies will need a CAD file to work from, STL, for example. Without that, you’ll have to pay someone or ask for a freebe. There’s a few CAD users on here.

IanMunro
    Free Member

A 3D printed bracket that resembles the one in the picture will snap very quickly. The printing process means that although the layers can be strong the join between the layers can be quite weak – much like grain in wood.
    You’ve got the two flexi wings for holding the lamp and the two thin hooks that hold the rubber band at opposing planes, meaning one will always be weak if the other is strong.
    That’s not to say that a 3d printed bracket couldn’t be made for it – just not a replica of the original injection moulded item.

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks Ian…
    Maybe I’ll have to explore other bodges. The one I have works perfectly well but it takes a couple of minutes to get the light on the bars which is a hassle…

brassneck

I have a Makerbot at work and would be happy to print it, but I’ll want a file to work from rather than a photo.

I agree with the sentiments that it probably won’t last long if you using it as a press fit. I have a 3D printed mount for a FPV screen on my DJI Phantom controller which does this, and whilst it’s not snapped yet the bar it’s snapping on to is thinner than the printed arm.

DezB
    Free Member

A 3D printed bracket that resembles the one in the picture will snap very quickly.

Is this a fact? (not meant in a stroppy way, just do you actually know this?!)
    The bloke showed me a part for his printer he’d printed and it looked pretty strong to me.
    He has some carbon printing material too.. worth a try I reckon.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s a fact from the point of view of the type of 3D printing that is probably going to be used to make this. Esp if the component relies on flex to work.
    In my office we have a Stratasys 3D printer that cost £30Kish, which we use to knock up a variety of things. Strong components aren’t too much of a problem. Strong and flexible can be more problematic. You certainly have to pay attention to orientation with respect to the print layers. This doesn’t seem to be an issue if you are using a printer that uses selective laser sintering, such as shapeways use, but if you’re using an extruder printer then it’s a big issue.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, he’s said he’ll be interested in giving it a go and using his carbon material and new CAD software (nerd! 😉 ) 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks Dez… got to be worth a go and we’ll see how it works out!

euanc
    Free Member

Firstly I’ll echo what others have said, due to the layered nature of an additive style 3D printed part they have better mechanical properties in different planes and it will never be as strong as an injection moulded part.

However if it is designed properly (ie designed to be printed, not just designed and printed) and some care is taken to finish the part after printing I think it could work.

I’m currently studying Product Design Engineering and have a printer so if you want a second opinion/option let me know and I can send you some thoughts over the weekend.

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks Euan – email in profile if you’re happy to help…

DezB
    Free Member

What have I done?!?! Now he keeps coming to talk to me in great detail about all the printer requirements and processes and this heat proof tape and all sorts of stuff 🙁
    😆

belm
    Free Member

An SLS print would be robust enough. As others say, a desktop printer would produce a bracket that would probably snap. SLS can be cheaper than FDM too, but there are usually minimum order quantities, meaning you’d have to get a load of other stuff printed for it to be worth it!

I’m a product designer if you need any more info, email in profile.

belm
    Free Member

But also as others have said, you’d need a CAD file in order to get it printed.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I 3d print prototypes as part of my job. The time/skill is in making the cad file, it may also be brittle for your needs.

Cougar

HTH.

Speeder

If you can sketch what you want, I’ll do the modelling for you. I would suggest that you do something other than use the flex of the bracket to hold the light though as, as others have suggested, the “wings” when made in a regular 3D printing material, won’t put up with much bending.

I’d suggest a similar solution to the bar mount ie a rubber strap into similar short and strong slots but happy to model whatever you want and send it in whatever format required to whoever.

Cheers

PM me if you’re interested.
    Gary

HansRey

Mail in profile. A friend has a 3d print prototyping business. I can put you in touch

swanny853

Depends a little on the printer but if I WS making that I’d print it so the print vertical axis was in the light direction, then make sure the elastic points were a good fit and beef them up a bit. I would expect that to be alright, but I wouldn’t swear to it! We have a pretty decent stratasys machine at work though- no real experience of using the ‘tinkerer’ desktop ones.

euanc
    Free Member

Here is a Mk 1, printed to give the clip for the light the most strength which might mean the tabs for the strap are too weak, I’m also not convinced they will hook the strap enough but without it it is hard to tell.

I have given it a vapour bath to smooth it out somewhat which will also help the layers stick together.

brooess
    Free Member

Cheers Euan – looks good! YGM

DezB
    Free Member

Haven’t been at work yet this week, but I suspect there’s another form of bracket awaiting..

brooess
    Free Member

brooess
    Free Member

Pic 1

Pic 2

Here it is in situ – absolutely spot on – fits the bars and the light perfectly. Needed a Lezyne strap rather than the Exposure one as the bracket is slightly wider but otherwise 100%

Just goes to show what the combination of the internet and 3D printing can produce 🙂

Thanks hugely to Dez and Euan for sorting this out – I’m massively grateful!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I want to get a light bracket 3-D printed – who can I get to do this?’ is closed to new replies.