Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I want to drill a hole in some metal.
  • zippykona

It’s this…
    https://www.metals4u.co.uk//stainless-steel/c8/angle/c77/50-x-50-x-3mm-316/p7415
    Have I bought some sort of undrillable metal or am I being a numpty (probable)?
    I bought 2 stanley fat max drill bits as they were the most expensive ,put the drill on slow and have shagged them both out and drilled half a hole.
    Do I buy some drill bits that aren’t made of angels tears or get some different metal?

leegee

lots of coolant or oil and keep it cool

maccruiskeen

Stainless is difficult to drill – what size holes are you making? If you’re not using it for an application that needs stainless steel and you’ve got a few holes to make it might be cheaper to buy some mild steel than more drill bits 🙂

If they are larger holes you might have more luck drilling a smaller pilot hole then enlarging it with a step drill

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    porter_jamie

Lubricant?
    Try a dormer high speed one

gobuchul
    Free Member

Did you start with a very small pilot hole and then step up a few mm for a few steps?

oldschool

What size you drilling? As said stainless is tough, you’ll need to work up through sizes to get say 6mm.
    Start about 3.5 ish. Then 6. Etc

Ambrose

Stainless will work harden. As you drill you need to penetrate and remove the hardened material. Keep cutting speeds constant and everything cooled as you apply an even pressure.

spooky_b329

You might be going a bit slow, try a new sharp bit, faster and firm pressure. When its cutting nicely you should get chips or spirals of metal, if its just grinding away and not making progress you should step back and try again.

finishthat
    Free Member

did you get the 304 or 316 ? one of them will need tougher drills , fatmax is marketing not definitely suited to drilling nasty stainless, a cobalt drill
    might be suitable – your linked supplier sells them.
    Smaller the hole the faster you drill – there are charts online – but usually its drilling large diameter too fast thats the problem.

inverjoe
    Free Member

Use a cobalt drill bit… much harder than HSS bit. I Use them regularly on Stainless in a drill press, cuts no problem.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Good luck, I screwed some dormer gold tipped 1.5mm drill bits up trying to mount a relay.
    It got cable tied in the end.

zippykona

All I needed was a bit of extra metal to get me free postage. It was cheaper than buying ready made brackets. Live and learn.
    I shall now count the drill bits I’ve ****…eleven. That’s starting with 2 mm bits. I shall buy some brackets with holes and cut them to size.

kormoran
    Free Member

You could take it to a local fabricator and get them to drill it. Seeing as you’ll have to go into town anyway

neilwheel
    Free Member

You need sharp bits, plenty of lube and just the right amount of pressure, get it all right and it’s hot knife and butter, get one bit wrong and your screwed. Start at 3mm for a pilot.

allthepies
    Free Member

am I being a numpty (probable)?

stainless steel 😆

zippykona

Righto plan b. Will this 3mm aluminium be ok to support a 50mm beam 3.4 m long. It will be supported in the middle as well.
    I’ve tried to squash it in the vice and it doesn’t seem to bend.

finishthat
    Free Member

This is long rude and funny – offensive to some but good for a laugh whilst
    informative:

AVE – What drill bit is best drill? :

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – Stainless is difficult to drill, and really difficult to drill by hand (i.e. not using a pillar drill)

You need a sharp drill, plenty of coolant and a constant speed/pressure.

zippykona

And a big bin to chuck it in.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I want to drill a hole in some metal.’ is closed to new replies.