• This topic has 60 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by zomg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • I want to buy a 944
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I followed one on sat then saw that S2 on top gear last night. Woke up this morning with an over-whelming urge to buy a early 80's 944 S2.

Ive just taken out a loan to finish of the camper van and get it back on the road, which i should really do rather than blowing 3k on a 20 year old porsche.

Can you have a mid life crisis at 27?

Convince me not to. Really. Otherwise im going to end up selling a portion of my foes fleet to buy one…

psychle
    Free Member

good lord… they're woeful cars (surely as TG demonstrated last night?) How can you lust after one of them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

DO. IT.

nuke

Do it. Buy one. You only live once. Regret what you did, not what you didn't. 😈

shortcut

yes – you can have a crisis at 27. I did.

sell the camper. coz they are pants. you could even sell it as a part done project to speed up the porker purchase.

then buy the porsche.

hora
    Free Member

Great idea- chose well and it should be almost zero depreciation-motoring (apart from running costs).

jimmy

Really? A classic 911 targa surely…

vinnyeh

Dear oh dear. 928 I can understand, but a 944?

Aren't you the guy with the subaru powered vw camper? Is that not enough pain in your life?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yeah, its got a 2.0L legacy lump, and a T5 V70, neither particularly fuel efficient.

So obviously a porsche is the answer to all my petrol price woes.

Im seriously considering selling the Foes FXR 4x and the Zigzag and trying to raise another 2k for a really cheap old porsche.

I just got it in to my head i need to own a porsche. Really quite badly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

jimmy – exactly what I want…only £10K too!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I actually prefer the 924, especially if it looks like this.

hora
    Free Member

924 has the VW lump doesnt it so easy to source spares etc?

Replacement brakes etc for Porsches…..hmmm!

Del

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Yeah it's got the VW 1.8l lump, it was originally going to be VW badged but VW pulled out of the joint venture so Porsche released it.

I really fancied one to put my throttle bodied valver lump in but went for a MK1 Polo in the end for some insane power to weight ratio fun. The Audi 5cyl turbo lump is another popular conversion.

jimmy

al – when you get it, can I come cruising for babes with Will Smith's summertime on the stereo?

vinnyeh

Yeah it's got the VW 1.8l lump, it was originally going to be VW badged but VW pulled out of the joint venture so Porsche released it.

Not surprised- last time Porsche and VW did a collaboration we got these, didn't we.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Dagnamit. Im going end up buying a porsche. Then my parents are going to murder me. I might not live under their roof, but they know where i live…

Ah well. Any one want to buy a couple of Foes full sussers?

jfeb
    Free Member

914 and 941/6's were awesome cars. Unusual styling, I'll agree but fantastic handling and full of character. 914/6's are cheap as chips (although pretty uncommon) to buy and will run circles around a comparable aged 911.

Trimix
    Free Member

I like 944's I spent a day driving one of the Turbo ones in 1989 – great day. Buy one buy one buy one.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I want a 968, much better

MrSmith
    Free Member

they are just an audi with the wrong badge on.
    why not just start a bonfire in the garden then throw £50 notes on it at regular intervals until your loan is used up.

jahwomble
    Free Member

get one, I've had three and if you get a good one, they are cracking cars foe the money, regardless of the badging, the only problem is that you will have a constant stream of image conscious cockweasels whining " it's not a proper Porsche blah blah blah" well **** 'em. they are probably driving some diesel engined company shopping trolley and listening to coldplay. And consequently, their opinion doesnt count. Tha's my opinion anyway,which probably doesnt count either. so there.

Lionheart
    Free Member

944S2 look carefully and go for it if you find a nice one!

oldgit
    Free Member

I'd certainly like an early 912.

cynic-al
    Free Member

al – when you get it, can I come cruising for babes with Will Smith's summertime on the stereo?

You'd get asked to leave without stopping if you put Will Smith on!out

914 and 941/6's were awesome cars. Unusual styling, I'll agree but fantastic handling and full of character. 914/6's are cheap as chips (although pretty uncommon) to buy and will run circles around a comparable aged 911.

I agree they are cute, but they cost as much to run as a 911 apparently.

nickc

Nowt wrong with 944's. They're cracking little cars. Nice ones can be had for good money as all the Porsche snobs look down their noses at them, and they're "relatively" cheap to run and look after too.

Inbred456
    Free Member

924 had a 2.0L Audi van engine in it. Quite a reliable old lump. The Turbo version was nuts, that had a 944 lump in it I think?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Looks like 2 bikes would fit easily in a 968.

I've seen one at GT quite a lot.

hillsplease

Get it bought.

Hairychested
    Free Member

There are some really cheap ones, so if my new skills (the ones I'm trying to gain) bring sensible money I shall have a Piggy. My wife has already approved 😀

alwyn
    Free Member

Do it! I'm after an old porsche when my insurance gets cheaper and I get bored of my MG.

tankslapper
    Free Member

There's only one Porsche – 911

Have the heartache with a real car 😉

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

NO

I did that when i was 28 actually and bought a 924 lux in champagne… yes you may argue that it was really just a cross between a renault fuego and lada estate.

This was the worst purchase I ever made… in fact it made the 1989 mark 3 supra look like bloody Knightrider….

Now I have just spent 2.5k on whitelightning (or 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica Offroad Adventurer) With big ass tyres and room for ALL the bikes and kit.

That is what you should do.

Or not…. your choice obviously.

smiffy

lots of guessing, here.

the 24 had the AUDI 100 2.0 engine, the blown version was the same engine. The 44 has many more Porsche bits than the 24, which is a parts-bin potch of 1302S, Type 3, AUDI 100 and Golf bits. You need a mate with with the microfiches so you can spot the VAG bits if you are not familiar with them. agree with above, the Quattro motor suits the 24 beautifully, even the plain 2.2 5cyl is a step up in torque and sounds better than stock.

What would we consider an "early" 12, since they were made for such a short time? (I do like 912s, though).

NZCol

I seem to have a 2001 911 GT3 sitting in my driveway at the moment – wtf am i doing !

tankslapper
    Free Member

NZCol – Member

I seem to have a 2001 911 GT3 sitting in my driveway at the moment – wtf am i doing !

Yes! Drugs Squad are crafty barstewards nowadays!

GIT! 😉

NZCol

my rationale was/is this

Need to transport bikes and stuff and go to races (a lot in the summer)
    therefore
    need something that can get dirty and is efficient and plenty of space
    == a van
    BUT
    don't want to drive a van all day every day
    THEREFORE
    would like something smaller, less efiicient and more, well, fun
    == a 911 GT3.
    My wife strangely agrees. So the WRX is now officially the company car (for my business so the boys are now fighting over it) and i am on the hunt for a van !

tankslapper
    Free Member

NZ

Your logic defies science, your wife must be the Balanese Goddess of Plenty and…………..does she have a sister?

I SALUTE YOU SIR! 😆

My usual foray into stealthy bike/car purchase territory with Mrs.T is a simple one – buy all the same colour and failing that escape through tunnel Harry and hope the Resistance picks me up…..

NZCol

I know, incredible although for a bird she is quite logical (she is an engineer after all). This is the woman that bought me a cheaper Ti wedding ring …. and a Fenn surfski – her logic being i would prefer that to a more expensive platinum ring. splendid, hence i married her…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I want to buy a 944’ is closed to new replies.