Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • i want to bolt a fence post to a wall
  • porter_jamie

which fixing would you use? its a 3″ square wood post and the wall at the end of the garden seems to be the ideal thing to fix the post to – the fence will go at 90deg to the wall and there are those concrete posts along the length of the garden with slots each side for you to drop your fence panels into. all good apart from there is nothing at the wall end. i will just screw the last fence panel to the wood post at the wall end

i was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the post and using some kind of big 10mm type of fixing straight into the wall.

suggestions?

andyl
    Free Member

Some biggish rawl plugs and stainless screws so they don’t rust and expand?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Cnc’d brackets I’m surprised you’re even asking.

Actually… how about a metal channel to carry on the slotting in theme

andyl
    Free Member

Oh and you might want to space off slightly with some large diameter stainless washers to just to provide a slight air gap and stop moisture being trapped. Not enough for peeping toms to look through though.

richmars

As above, space the post from the wall so you don’t bridge the damp proof membrane. (This is what I was told years ago so may be pants).

bedmaker

Thunderbolts give a much more solid fix than the sleeved type fixings. As a bonus, they are cheaper and less fiddly to use.

Drill a nole in the post big enough for the bolt to pass through without the thread engaging in the wood.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Thunderbolts or sleeve bolts. Thunderbolts are quicker but make sure the hole in the wall is the right size as even slightly too large and they won’t grip enough. Sleeve bolts are a bit more forgiving. Cut a recess in the post for the bolt head/ nut so you can have a flush finish.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Yeah, counterbore the post and thunderbolts. Solid and inexpensive.

joat

Yep I agree with thunderbolts, or multi-monti as they are also known. Use a decent masonry bit though or as said it will either be loose or tight, if it’s tight you can sometimes go back and forth cutting the thread though. Stagger the recessed holes left and right to stop it rolling around, choose your bricks carefully to try and get the holes in their middle or they’ll blow out the sides when tightening.
    Apologies for the wordy answer, I’ve done a lot of these, and got better at it after realising my mistakes.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Let me know what size you need mate and I’ll ‘post’ you some Tapcon Bolts out (original Thunderbolts) as I’ve got, literally, thousands in the garage from work.

beaker2135

Thunderbolts, don’t space it off the wall it won’t be as rigid. Drill hole in the post and the wall the same size, usually 6.5mm No need to countersink the head they will just pull in flush
    Some about 120-140 should be fine

iolo
    Free Member
    porter_jamie

Thanks for all the advice and offers of bits! Went for a couple of 10mm sleeve bolts. It’s only a wall at the end of the garden so no damp course to worry about. Just done it and it’s rock solid. My battery drill however is rubbish so I’m now looking at 18v lion makitas. Worlds most expensive post bolting!

nickjb
    Free Member

Get the makita. Great drills. If you can find a good deal on the new brushless one get that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Or buy a cheap mains drill for heavy work.

woffle
    Free Member

Get the makita. Great drills. If you can find a good deal on the new brushless one get that.

this + 1

porter_jamie

That’s not a bad shout, I have one but but I would have had to joined together every extension in the house!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘i want to bolt a fence post to a wall’ is closed to new replies.