Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • I want the snip. Would you go private or NHS?
  • Mark84
    Free Member

I want to get a vasectomy. Has anyone had any recent experiances in this procedure? Would you go private or NHS is there any difference?

lowey

NHS was fine for me.

sweepy
    Free Member

Mine was NHS, about 15 years ago and so far no kids so seems good enough.

More importantly get local anasthetic if you can cope with having it done while concious, I think the general made me feel worse than the op.

wormhole

My GP did mine one afternoon in his surgery, all good. that was about 15 years ago mind.

nickc

NHS here, all good.

Mark84
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for so many quick responses. The reason i asked is one of my family members had an eye watering op about twenty years ago. I think i need to make an appointment to see a GP. Will i have difficulties getting the green light if i am 26? Already have one child and another due yesterday.

Prophet2
    Free Member

NHS was fine for me though I have heard that "quality" of procedure varies, few of my mates have had painful post-snip issues. I was back on the bike after a few days thankfully

bruneep

are you expecting some sort of "extras" by going private on the private parts?

😯

NHS here.

Mark84
    Free Member

I think that would be the last thing on my mind:)

are you expecting some sort of "extras" by going private on the private parts?

bol

I went NHS and was fine – no complications, no extra kids. A guy I know went private, got balls the size of avocardos and a year later had another child. Shouldn't really be any diference at all though.

nickc

Will i have difficulties getting the green light if i am 26? Already have one child and another due yesterday.

I went with my partner and had a "chat" with my GP, who quizzed us both about motives and so on. When he was happy, we scheduled to op, for just a couple of months later on. Same as you though, I was early 30's with 2 children, and long term partner.

andrewh
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but 28 with no children? Really don't want any, for all kinds of reasons.

BillMC

NHS, no problems there or down there. I happen to know a consultant urologist who said he wouldn't have it done because he's seen too many people with complications. Mind you, I've never met anyone who had a problem with it.

Mark84
    Free Member

NHS, no problems there or down there. I happen to know a consultant urologist who said he wouldn't have it done because he's seen too many people with complications. Mind you, I've never met anyone who had a problem with it.

Not sure what else to do, the pill\hormone types caused problems for my partner and condoms can split.

qcamel
    Free Member

I went private for a fixed cost of £495 and found it and easy and pretty pain free procedure. However my surgeon told me if I wanted it on the NHS he would do it about 4 weeks later. Not sure if it was worth it or not, but done and dusted and back on bike in 2 weeks…

grim168
    Free Member

Just get it done because you'll hear allsorts of shite on forums. It isn't that bad. I went nhs and ended up in a private hospital due to backlog. Bit of swelling and pain but not too much. Best advice I was given was take it easy for a couple of days. Don't forget you'll be really suffering and will need looking after 😉

Graham

roper
    Free Member

Anyone had problems with hormones or differences with their testosterone levels after?

Coyote
    Free Member

Anyone had problems with hormones or differences with their testosterone levels after?

Er… no. You're thinking of cats.

sslowpace
    Free Member

AS your only 26, is it worth waiting?

coffeeking
    Free Member

They don't remove your nuts, only the tubes connecting them to the outside get snipped. Hormones etc all still work as normal.

Clink

GP did mine, 5 minutes down the road. All good.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

MTFU – bottle of whisky and a couple of house bricks.

Edukator
    Free Member

Check out the potential psychological implications for both you and your wife if you go ahead. I'm convinced one friend's marriage broke down as a direct result of his wife's attitude to him following the op.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Had mine done on the NHS,seems pointless paying for it. No problems,physical,or psychological(?). My GPs mate(another GP..)did it.We were nattering about cricket as he was snipping. A job well done.

armchairbiker

Where I live it's the same consultants for both NHS and private – only the waiting time for it.

I have heard enough bad stories on both

I had a general – no way I wanted to watch someone cut my nuts open

daveob
    Free Member

Had mine at the GP's. Anesthetic didn't work so it was very painful indeed. Would have still happened if I had gone private, so wished I'd opted for the general.

TonyL
    Free Member

Had mine done on NHS, local anesthetic was fine had to ask for a bit more mid opp though. Just stay off the bike for a couple of weeks afterwards I made the mistake of thinking just cycling to work would be ok! It was not!

br
    Free Member

I had mine done private about 10 years ago, was £80 at the local GP clinic. The key reason for private was that there was a 3+ month wait on the NHS.

Done Monday lunch, took afternoon and Tuesday off – then drove in Wednesday and on my m/c Thursday – no probs for me.

theotherjonv

I was done about a year ago. We looked into both and while I would have preferred private due partly due to a supposedly slightly better procedure (tiny incision / cauterisation as opposed to cut and tied) but mainly due to being able to get it done quickly and at a time to suit, ultimately £495 is £495. So I went to the GP, got quizzed about how serious I was, etc., and then she agreed to add me to the list. At which point she said that the local NHS Trust had decided to outsource the job to the same clinic I'd looked at spending £495 on! Only difference was a 3 month wait after which i got a letter asking me to ring and make an appt as if I was a paying punter.

Procedure was fine, a bit uncomfortable, but once you've lain naked from the waist down on a table while a nurse pulls your nuts through a hole in a sheet and paints them with antiseptic, you'd give anything to be out of there asap and without catching anyone's eye again.

To cover it all; post op took me about 4 weeks before I could cycle again but that was due to a minor wound infection which stopped the healing process, meaning I needed the wound cleaned right out and start the healing again after about 2 weeks. The actual nut discomfort was no big thing, fixed with Nurofen.

And paddling in the sea without your wellies on is so much better.

triop
    Free Member

Ok , don't shag directly afterwards it was the most painful orgasm/experience i have ever had. Got on the bus after the surgery went home knobbed the wife to check everything still worked – arse. 9 months later wifes puking every morning and 2 kids in the same class. Long painful story short it's not 100%.DNA is a wonderful thing

triop
    Free Member

Oh and shave properly because hairly lipped nurse will tell you she needs to clean it up a little.

mrchrispy

NHS full knock out (it was offered and I took it, rather not be awake when a bloke with a knife plays with my undercarriage).

Get a little discomfort now and again but nothing that bad.

i'll do it for a tenner?

woody2000

triop – seriously? There must be a ton of literature about how long you have to wait before it's "safe" to have unprotected sex after a vasectomy. <shakes head> 🙄

daveob
    Free Member

Agree with woody. Triop what were you thinking? It stops your ability to produce, but takes 3 days for what is there already to go. I was advised to go gloved until after the sterility test to confirm it had worked.

Coyote
    Free Member

It stops your ability to produce, but takes 3 days for what is there already to go. I was advised to go gloved until after the sterility test to confirm it had worked.

And it's a permission slip to burp the worm as often as you want.

"What *are* you doing in there?"
    "Clearing out the last of the tennants dear. Doctor said to do it."

triop
    Free Member

Just posting a warning, it was 10 years ago this Feb. and turned out to be the best mistake I've ever made 😀

Bregante

I need to MTFU and get round to doing this. if I go NHS can I still opt to go for general aneaesthetic. no way do I want to be awake?

triop
    Free Member

To be fair the procedure is not that painful, just a feel bit of tugging on the tubes, and your up and away in 30min. Don't think it's worth a general

Bregante

nope. got to be general. I'm a cowardy custard 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘I want the snip. Would you go private or NHS?’ is closed to new replies.