Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I want some 26" wide'ish rim/wheels! – Recommendations please
  • davemcc43

As above really. I had a go on a demo bike at the weekend and came away wanting to change my bike accordingly.

Could be either rims or a complete wheelset and I think I want a rim with about 25-30 mm internal diameter.

The bike is a 2009 Orange ST4 so hub widths will be ‘traditional’ and I currently have Mavic 517’s on it.

I ask because I don’t really keep my finger on the pulse of products and brands in the MTB world (I just ride my bike) so am a bit perplexed by my options.

I’m not adverse to buying nice but I find myself more located towards the affordable end of the price spectrum so please suggest accordingly!

Searching has been helpful but I thought I’d ask directly.

Thanks in advance.

DAVE

wwaswas

I’ve been very impressed with the 26″ Blunt 35’s (30mm internal) rims I’m running on my Liteville.

finbar
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

@wwasws…. are they UST compatible/tubeless? looks like the kinda thing i’m after for my HT.

pickle
    Free Member

On the recommendation of people on here I went for a rear version of these not so long ago and it’s superb. extremely light and taken a hammering since getting it with no issues at all. not sure the front will fit as it’s only 15mm fitting rather than old quick release style.

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-volar-trail-wheels-26-82071.html

wwaswas

alpin – been running tubeless with HansDampfs and they’re fine. Found Conti Rubber Queens a bit odd as the tread was just a Mohican down the middle of the tyre on these rims.

alpin
    Free Member

cheers… running Mavic Crossmax on Deemax rims. rims are too narrow, but the tyre is good.

yes, RQ have few knobs on the sides… destroyed two sidewalls on rocks/sections that were never a problem with other tyres.

cheers for the info.

kayla1
    Free Member

I bought some of these-

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pluswide26-clearance-pair-of-rims.htm

a couple of weeks ago. They’re 36mmm wide internally, I’ve laced them up but haven’t trued them yet so I can’t say if I’ve died or not.

davemcc43

Thanks guys, really helpful.

Do keep the suggestions coming!

DAVE

plyphon
    Free Member

I went from XC717s to en521’s on Hope Pro 2 Evo’s.

Cant fit much bigger tyres happily and don’t feel like theyre going to collapse at the next drop.

“only” 21mm internal width but wide enough for some huge tyres.

zero-cool
    Free Member

eBay some cheap Sun Ringlé Double Tracks. Only problem is they way about 6 tonnes.

Mavic 521s aren’t particularly wide, but they’re one of my top rims. Pretty much indestructable and not too heavy.

pickle
    Free Member

Here are the front QR hub adapters if you go for a set of Merlin wheels

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-axle-conversion-kit-85174.html

gt900uk
    Free Member

I just stuck a DT Swiss EX471 on the back of my Mega AM to replace the damaged Flow Ex. Was a direct swap onto the Hope Pro Evo 2 and spokes that I already had. Really nice rim at a good weight and apparently pretty strong from what i read.

ichabod
    Free Member

The new stans rims are available soon – Arch Mk3 is 25mm and something like 400g

kerley
    Free Member

And new Stans Flow MK3 is 30mm internal and around 450 grams.

Not sure when available but Triton cycles have them listed at £70 each.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I want some 26" wide'ish rim/wheels! – Recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.