Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I want my saddle to be designed by Airbus
  • rone

Any one got one of these?

Too late I risked the special buffalo edition 🙂

A lot cheaper on bike24 though. I guess no one fancied it.

wiggles
    Free Member

Don’t get it…

You can get a specialized carbon railed saddle that is lighter, half the money and probably more comfortable too.

I’d rather a saddle made by people who have done a lot of research into saddles rather than one made of aeroplane offcuts…

rone

Direct me to the specialized…for curiosity.

I think the beauty of this is its minimalist design. All my half decent seats creak because of the rail interface.

Besides this is something a bit different than spesh. Which I’m unlikely to put on my bike.

rone

I can only find the s-works phenom which in this case is more expensive and heavier. I use the term heavier – loosely.

I paid £153 for the ALM buffalo.

But then I don’t know the spesh range.

everyone
    Free Member

Doesn’t that fabric saddle have a tendency to crack?

Purely based on internet hearsay of course!

bob_summers

I can only find the s-works phenom which in this case is more expensive and heavier. I use the term heavier – loosely.

Look up the S Works Power. Weird looking but I’m tempted to give one a try.

thepodge
    Free Member

wiggles – I’d rather a saddle made by people who have done a lot of research into saddles rather than one made of aeroplane offcuts…

You’d think with all that R & D they’d be able to make one that is comfy.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Doesn’t that fabric saddle have a tendency to crack?

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2012-07-11/airbus-aims-put-a380-wing-crack-problem-behind-it-final-fix

don’t worry dear they have experience fixing minor things like that.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d rather a saddle made by people who have done a lot of research into saddles rather than one made of aeroplane offcuts…

It’s made by Charge. How many recommendations do you see on here for the Spoon?! Merely using Airbus technology. That’s like saying an S-Works McLaren bike is shit because McLaren make cars not bikes.

You can get a specialized carbon railed saddle that is lighter, half the money and probably more comfortable too.

Barely. An S-Works Toupé is all of 10g lighter and still costs £200, you can pick the ALM up for less. The Standard Toupe weighs significantly more for your £130.

Anyway, I’ve got one, bought against my better judgement as I know I find Toupés supremely comfortable, but several people on here said it was the most comfortable thing ever…

I don’t like it! It’s getting there now (after c1,000 miles), but it was **** uncomfortable at first, really unpleasant, absolutely rock hard, and it’s only “not bad” now, whilst I can (and have) sit on a Toupe for 20 hours without issue.

I wish I’d got a Cvndsh S-Works Toupé frankly, although the Fabric does look cool.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Echoing njee – it’s stiff as a board, and I don’t know if I like mine either

I bought one as I needed a new saddle, certainly not as comfy as my old Gobi 00 nor the Brooks C13 I have

Cannot bring myself to put a brooks on my Open though 😆

rone

I love the WTBs but they always always creak after a few hundred and then your stuck with them. Even on the posh SLT.

Dang, got to be worth an expensive shot on the ALM.

njee20
    Free Member

They do look nice for sure. I’m hopeful mine will ‘break in’ a little more. It’s certainly tolerable now.

Daffy

I helped design that saddle 🙂 but the current version isn’t what it was supposed to be.

The original was MUCH comfier, but the price was going to be ridiculous. Hence the change.

njee20
    Free Member

Was that when it had fancy 3D printed ti rails or sommat?

I know the reviews talk about leaf Spring like rails, which is a crock of shit, there’s no a mm of movement when you push on it, compared with many other saddles which have a lot of give.

Daffy

Yeah and a special attachment technique between the rails and the saddle.

Interestingly, the testing requirements for saddles are completely at odds with what you’d like for comfort. You have to make it stiff in the wrong place to meet the unrealistic test demands.

[edit] The rails were properly hollow (not like current hollow rails that have a 1mm hole down the middle) with a complex internal structure. Early test riders from Charge said it was the comfiest thing they’d ever ridden, but we broke a few during testing. Everything was on a knife-egde of design and engineering to get the weight below 100g.

Light, strong, cheap…etc

rone

I helped design that saddle but the current version isn’t what it was supposed to be.

The original was MUCH comfier, but the price was going to be ridiculous. Hence the change.

Well it looks fantastic… was that when it had a projected price of £900 or something?

Yeah, my only worry would be durability.

rone
    njee20
    Free Member

Good price that.

onandon
    Free Member

I always found the selle teknologika flow the best of this sort of saddle. I could sit on that all day with out issue.
    Shame I sold mine 🙁 quite fancy another but they put the price up to silly levels.

As have been said. The old toupe was only 160ish grams and super comfy ( if you like a flat saddle ) – probably the best comfort to price to weight ratio.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i have the buffalo Ltd on my supersix and whilst it is very comfortable the leather starts peeling on the nose after 1 ride. id go for the ALM version with a touch of padding personally…

rone

Ah, that will probably wind me up. 🙂

rexated
    Free Member

I demo’d one, put in approx 100 miles over 3 rides. I found it harsh for the first hour of each ride but then it started to get weirdly comfortable. If it were a bit narrower (SLR type narrow) I’d have bought one, but unfortunately was a bit wide for my sit bones.

I did worry about scraping it down a hillside in a crash, but it did look great in unscuffed form!

bobbyspangles

I helped test these and I loved it. But I have a fat arse.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I want my saddle to be designed by Airbus’ is closed to new replies.