Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • i want a turbo trainer…but which one?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i used to ride the commuter every day but now its just sat there forlornly in the kitchen.
    i get to ride the mtb on the weekends if i’m lucky but i’d like to get more use out of the commuter so i’m thinking of getting a turbo trainer because i cant be bothered going out for a road ride at night

the bike in question is a 2014 Saracen Studio 74 with 700c wheels but because its classed as an urban bike the hub axles are nutted instead of QR so i wanted to know if i can use a normal turbo trainer with the existing wheel or will i need some sort of adapter or new rear wheel.
    i’d rather not go down the new wheel route so any suggestions on a suitable turbo trainer that will work on the bike would be welcome

mrblobby
    Free Member

Direct drive turbo like the JetBlack or the Cycleops Silencer? Can get them new for not much over £300 if you shop around or cheaper in the classifieds/ebay. No hassle with the rear wheel.

Or get some rollers.

gonzy
    Free Member

Can get them new for about 330 or cheaper in the classifieds. No hassle with the rear wheel.

i wasnt planning on spending that much!! 😯

was planning on doing this on the cheap

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

I think a nutted axle would be OK in my minoura, not sure though.

northernmatt

I got an Elite one from Hellfrauds for about £100. Can’t comment as I’ve only used it with a qr so can’t say whether it would work with a nut axle.

If it’s a cup and cone hub you might be able to stick a hollow axle in, maybe. Can you not just buy a cheap QR hub and rebuild the wheel?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The Halfords elite ones work fine with nutted axles.

Currently £65

sandwicheater

Ebay is your friend. Picked up an Elite mag one for £30 or £40 pounds and for the little i use it, is fine.

I’ll have a look tonight as i’ve a nutted singlespeed. I’m sure it would be fine. If anything, may fit better as no silly quick release getting in the way.

Just setting off home now.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Tacx one I have apparently works as it uses cups that go over the ends.
    Been used twice as I have rollers so I might be persuaded to let it go 😉

pictonroad

Where are you? I’ve got one you can have on the cheap.

gonzy
    Free Member

Where are you? I’ve got one you can have on the cheap.

manchester

and thanks Sandwicheater, much appreciated

sandwicheater

OP, found the bolts were not the same dimension/size as a usual QR and as such, wobbled a fair bit so not ideal, at least with the Elite one. Looks like the clamp is designed to just fit around a standard QR.

Haze

Tacx axle nuts?

sandwicheater

^ That would solve the problem. Couple of minutes faffing but cheaper than the alternative.

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks for the info folks. i’ll have a look into it

crispycross
    Free Member

The Elite ones are pretty good. I’ve had a cheap Mag one for years with no problems. I especially like the way that the wheel is pushed onto the roller by your body weight, rather than any sort of screw thingy. This makes the resistance really repeatable. No adjustment is needed – all you have to do is keep your tyre at the right pressure.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘i want a turbo trainer…but which one?’ is closed to new replies.