Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • I want a Steel road frame – any ideas?
  • flange
    Free Member

How do

I need (want) a new road frame for winter training duties. Currently have an old Ribble race frame and whilst very comfy, it’s lacking in clearance for mudguards. I really REALLY want a steel frame but apart from the Ritchey (that doesn’t have mudguard eyelets) is there anything else about?

EDIT: Budget might be an idea – around the £400-£500 mark

bencooper
    Free Member

<blatant plug>

Handmade in Glasgow?

</blatant plug>

flange
    Free Member

Hi Ben

How much we talking?

prezet
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium.

bencooper
    Free Member

£1000ish, depending on features.

Or, if 60.5cm is the perfect size for you, I’ve got a frame going spare 😉

flange
    Free Member

Hmm, think it might be a little out of budget sir and sadly I can’t fit on a 60.5.

bencooper
    Free Member

No worries – have you looked second-hand? I do quite a bit of refurb work on old frames – you can pick up a perfectly good 20-year-old road frame for pennies, re space it to 130mm if needed, and repaint it.

bencooper
    Free Member

Or get the Ritchey and bung mudguard eyelets on? Less than £100 to add a bunch of braze-ons and repaint.

flange
    Free Member

Hmmm – could be a goer but repainting a new £800 frame will take some doing! Tempting though, they are lovely

bencooper
    Free Member

Don’t Surly do anything suitable?

flange
    Free Member

Oohh, Surly – will have a look

cynic-al
    Free Member

Equilibrium, thread closed.

Old 531 does ride well tho 1″ head tubes limit fork choice.

MrTall
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya?

I use my Fargo as a winter road bike but it’s probably a tad portly for most roadies.

nashwaymule
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Soma used to do nice stuff also.

richen987
    Free Member

the maddison genesis range are quite nice in steel, not sure if they do a frame only option tho. reynolds tubing, although may be the stuff made under licence in far east rather than the uk stuff. still they look nice.

STATO
    Free Member

Surly Pacer looks nice, not flash but should ride nice also.

bencooper, tell me more about this discounted 60.5cm, thats my size 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

Kona Honky Tonk??

HTTP404
    Free Member

Don’t Ribble do their own winter steel frames?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Surly Pacer.

Great bike, not too heavy with nice kit on it.

Merak

Condor do one for about £750

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Anyone know when Cotic are bringing their road frame out?

bencooper
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Genesis any day of the week, I had a Surly, felt a bit heavy and flexy in comparison.

Only other option I can think of is a Bob Jackson

Merak

Must it be geared? I bought this a couple of weeks ago, its steel and in your budget, lighter than I thought. Had a paddy Wagon before that, it was like scaffolding poles in comparison.

ssboggy

Singular Osprey looks nice.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Charge do some nice frames.

feenster
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium. Got one. Love it. Frame only available in your budget.

weeble
    Free Member

Rourke 953??

wallop

Another one for Genesis Equilibrium.

Nothing nicer in winter than having a nice dry bum while all your mates on their fancy Lapierres look like they’ve pooed their pants.

bobalong
    Free Member

I have a very good condition Salsa Primero with new EC70 forks, that I’m considering selling….

It’s a size 57 in that lovely bright red salsa coulor.

Here’s a link to the info; http://salsacycles.com/bikes/primero

Please email me for pics if it’s the right size.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Traitor Exile if you can find one. I have one but new they would be special import from the states. Clearance for 30mm tyres and omfortable. 1″ head tube though. Plenty of 1″ carbon forks about and the steel fork that it comes with is best avoided.

Sam

Been getting my winter miles in on a Singular Osprey, very nice looking bike, comfy ride, and loads of room for mudguards and big (28mm tyre). Will also take front and rear racks for light touring and has a choice of threaded and threadless forks. Plus I’m happy to do STW forumites 20% off these at the moment, so well within your budget.

flange
    Free Member

Dammit Sam! Just bought that Enigma, if I’d have known I’d have had an Osprey!

ChrisA
    Free Member

Was just about to say enigma have some in their clearence section. I bought the used ti etape and its in great condition. I’m very happy with it

flange
    Free Member

Yep – would have loved Ti but they’d sold out so ended up with this

I’ve got an enigma fork already, build will be old style dura-ace, power tap on open pro and hope on Open Pro in the front. I’m probably more excited by this build than anything else I’ve bought recently

bikebouy
    Free Member

“likes”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks great, but you bought a touring bike?

ChrisA
    Free Member

I very nearly bought that ethos myself!! I really wanted the etape though so gave them a call a couple of weeks back just when they were loading them onto the webpage! Good timing!

For me, i don’t race, ride the club run / with mates and the occasional sportive, As a do it all road bike, they are awsome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I want a Steel road frame – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.