Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • I Want a Fat Bike but I've only got £500 (any recommendations)
  • chevvy
    Free Member

Ive watched a few videos and fat bikes look like good fun, I’m thinking i would like to purchase one but i don’t know anything about them.
    any advice on what to buy ??

tomd
    Free Member

For £500, it’s got to be 2nd hand maybe an On One fatty. Anything new for that price will be brutally heavy and generally rank rotten.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

£299.

It’ll be crap and heavy(-er).

Also available in white, and grey.

stumpy01

Go Outdoors do one, but

…….weighing in at a svelte 22kg………..

would put me off!

Only £299 so might be worth a punt?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coyote-fatman-fat-bike-black-p328471

or in white (for £50 more)…..

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=6175&g=722514&p=722688&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Fat%20Bikes&gclid=CLXZqsW76cQCFYoEwwodA3IAeA

mtbel
    Free Member

Presuming you already have a bicycle?
    Simply let out all the air out of your tyres and half fill them with water then ride to an ice cream shop along a beach. pretty much the same sensation for a fraction of the cost

mtbel
    Free Member

don’t park too far from the ice cream shop though or you will need to purchase £500 worth of frame bags, water bottles and hip flasks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

rOcKeTdOg

Simply let out all the air out of your tyres and half fill them with water then ride to an ice cream shop along a beach

sounds bloody great!

mtbel
    Free Member

it’s GRINtastic mate. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

sprinkles on my cornet?

northernmatt
    tomd
    Free Member

It’ll be crap and heavy(-er) pull objects into its gravitational field as you ride along.

Fixed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On-One occasionaly have offers on full bikes (I got mine when they dropped to £640!) or frame/fork bundles, so worth keeping an eye out, if you already have brakes, gears and finishing kit it might be do-able.

Mine’s never been near a beach, or had tyre pressures much below 10psi, TBH that kind of thing looks imeasurably dull for mile after mile, on singletrack it’s ace!

orena45

There’s these ones for £400 – http://www.sand-bikes.co.uk/…no idea what they’re like though

motozulu
    Free Member

I recommend you save for a bit longer.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m going to sound like my dad now but save up some more money and with any luck by the time you have enough money you wont fancy a fat bike any more. I will have saved you five hundred quid.

tomhoward

Oddly, it’s not the weight of that 22kg behemoth that makes me laugh, it’s the 7apeed 14-28 freewheel (yep, really), matched with a 44 tooth single front ring!

scotroutes

That.

You don’t want it badly enough yet.

piemonster

Phew, I still can’t afford another bike.

Managed to get away with a new frame, and a new “rolling chassis” recently. 3 will be raising letters of complaint.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Unless you are going to ride on the beach…. Fat bikes really are pretty useless. Despite what you see on here and all those trying to defend their purchase. They are pointless. Unless you ride on sand or snow.

Keep seeing them round Swinley….. And Surrey hills…etc…. Absolutely no point whatsoever.

I want one by the way as I love the idea…. But that’s all it is. The reality is plop.

And yes I have ridden the on one and the genesis caribou

rOcKeTdOg

Since when did a “point” have anything to do with owning a bike for leisure use? It’s fun, end of story AFAIAC

Garry_Lager

Get the Go outdoors one mate – you’d be the boss of the fat bikers.

It’s a pure expression of the essence of the bike – the shitest fat bike in the land. Be like owning the lightest xc racer, or the most beautiful vintage steel roadie.

northernmatt

So much hate. It’s not like it’s a 29er.

dudeofdoom

+1 for trail.

another on-one fatty with the Magic discount code – pink an proud 🙂

(Well pink in the woods fine not sure about round town 🙂

chevvy
    Free Member

Thanks for most of the replies ,
    NorthernMatt would you sell your on one for £500 ??

northernmatt

No.

ThePinkster

I tried to lick up one of those Go Outdoors fatbikes a few months ago – it almost crippled me it was so heavy.

iainc

Been chuckling this week, while on hols in Aviemore, at the hire fleet of Genesis Caribou’s from Bothy Bikes labouring up and down the logging way – good workout !

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Rocket dog… No its not fun. You kid yourself it’s fun as I did….. But they are not the right tool for the job. Unless you ride on sand and snow.

Hence why there are so many second hand!

piemonster

The Pinkster – Member
    I tried to lick up one of those Go Outdoors fatbikes a few months ago – it almost crippled me it was so heavy.

I’m not surprised, did you manage to get your tongue fully round the tube Matron?

wwaswas

One of the things I really like about riding my fat bike around in the woods is that it’s wildly inappropriate for the job. Same as my single speed.

andyl
    Free Member

Well pink in the woods fine not sure about round town

brown around town?

I thought it would be the other way round 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Rocket dog… No its not fun. You kid yourself it’s fun as I did..

ah crap, all those years of smiles and I never realised I was kidding myself 😐

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Nevermind…. You could always try a 29er or 650b.

stanfree
    Free Member

This thread really needs some stevenmenmuir wit , I may have to noise him up on Fb. 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bought a second hand SS Fat Bike a few weeks ago – ridden it round the Peak and it’s a hoot, makes be grin like a fool.
    It’s just great fun to ride, ignore the nay sayers – scout around find a second hand one (mine was sub £500)and give it a go – who cares what others think, if you’re having fun that’s what matters.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I really can’t add anything. Chips anyone?

chevvy
    Free Member

^^^^ At last some decent feedback ,cheers mate now all i got to do is find one 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s alright RocketDog, must be one of those over serious trailcenter types

[Quote] Swinley…. Absolutely no point whatsoever.[/quote]
    Couldn’t put it better myself :-p

rickmeister

Hence why there are so many second hand!

I’m with you there, I’m struggling to find any full suss, Enduro, dh, ht second hand bikes …

I remember someone saying this at outward bound when I was a kid
    “Argue your limitations and they’re yours”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘I Want a Fat Bike but I've only got £500 (any recommendations)’ is closed to new replies.