Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • I want a BMX… There said it!
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Is this a good idea?

Away to move house in 2 weeks and I will be within 2 miles of my work.. Sold my mountain bike and can’t really afford a road bike, I went to see the Planet X SRAM rival road bike yesterday…. WANT! But will probably end up with a Merlin Malt R or the new Btwin when they come out (anybody know when).. Anyway that will probably be summer time.

So for the moment im Bikeless for the 1st time in about 25 years.. Even my good lady said “it’s weird you don’t have a bike.. When are you buying one?” I don’t want to spend a fortune to ride to work and leave it in a dirty workshop.. So I though a BMX would be just the ticket..

Any ideas for a budget of £150.. And am mental for wanting such a bicycle?

Thanks as always.

Mike.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Mental for wanting to cycle to work on one, yes.

I have been considering a BMX or Jump bike recently as well. I was just saying the other day that I don’t spend enough time recovering from serious injuries (sarcasm alert!)…

Go for it 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Try and borrow one from somewhere and ride two miles on it first 🙂

watsontony
    Free Member

yea your mental…. i used to ride 7 mils a day round trip on a onza so you wont die but its not fun……. just get a nice long seatpost and should be ok. (onza was seatless) have you looked at the 24″ cruisers

charliedontsurf
    duirdh
    Free Member

I commuted 2 miles to work and back on a BMX for years (when it wasn’t pissing down), a fair few roadie commuters tended stuck their noses in the air as they stepped it up to pass, come the first set of traffic lights they never saw me again, 20 years later I’ve yet to be stopped by plod for JRL or riding on a pavement on my BMX.. but funnily enough had a fixed penalty ticket for just that on my roadbike.

Don’t worry about the seatpost, you shouldn’t really need to sit down over 2 miles.

chiefgrooveguru

I love mine. It’s a vicious little bastard that kills my legs when I’m in a hurry and it’s only 3/4 of a mile to work – would be a lot easier without the saddle slammed! The more I ride it, the more rewarding it gets and when I get back on my 140mm hardtail it feels like an XC race bike uphill and a DH bike downhill. MTB has been out of action for a week and rather than rushing to get it back together I’m heading out with the BMX and a spade on Saturday!

Kevevs
    Free Member

great if you have the legs the size of a 12 year old and like going slow. Otherwise just single speed a cheap MTB and be proper cool like 40 something STWers *COUGH*. oh yes ONE OF US ONE OF US..

kudos100
    Free Member

Do it.

duirdh
    Free Member

BMXs aren’t slow

Kevevs
    Free Member

the yoof round here don’t pedal fast enough then! Have you seen the gearing on them these days. teeny chainrings! Sorry, can’t imagine commuting on a bmx, ok MAYYYBEEE for 2 miles, but what’s the point! get sommat with bigger wheels and a bigger gear, y’know.. if you’re a grown up! 😉

duirdh
    Free Member

and teeny sprockets too, remember remedial arithmetic? bet you wished you payed attention now, eh?

You sound like loads of fun on your bike.

andeh

I used to commute to Uni on my BMX. Was about 2 miles (including a big ass hill on the way back!) and wasn’t too bad. I had a pretty low ratio on the thing and still managed to draft busses occasionally.

I did get run over once, doubt it was down to the bike though 🙄

grum
    Free Member

There’s a GT one on Paul’s Cycles for £100 – dunno how good it is.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Me too! Especially since I’ve found this not too far away.

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol duirdh relax! done my fun on bmx’s, just got a bigger version now that I can actually sit and pedal on! maybes I’m just getting old and practical 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

I have one of these . . . currently reduced to the absolutely bargain price of £175 (bit over budget I know but cracking spec for the money – I thought mine was a bargain at £225). Not too short in the toptube either at 20.5″ (most entry-level BMX bikes measure up at 20″ tt).

duirdh
    Free Member

fun on a BMX is never done!

stand in the corner with a “D” hat on

Kevevs
    Free Member

Mamadirt you are BMX sized! Just put the seatpost up a bit? oh, I’m digging a hole here I can’t get out of. It’s all bikes, it’s all good 😀 xx

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Me too! Especially since I’ve found this not too far away.

I let out a joyful yelp when I saw that. Where is it?

1981miked
    Free Member

Ok sounding promising so far… I think I was a bit generous with the 2 miles.. It’s maybe a mile and a quarter upon further reflection..

That’s a great looking bike Charlie but just too expensive for me just now.. If it comes down in price again ; ) can you email me at mikedonald@hotmail.com

What kind of BMX is that mamadirt?

Northwind

I gave in to the temptation to buy another BMX. It hangs on the wall, never gets ridden. I’ve not sold it, because I know if I do in a year I’ll end up deciding to buy another BMX. Someone should sell special unridable wall-BMXs for this purpose. Vacuum-formed or something.

So anyway- where are you? Haro Nyquist 2 for sale 😉

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah wall mounted display bikes is a great ice… I’m In!

I live in Dundee..

davski
    Free Member

do it…! I still have my old muddyfox alloy bmx iv had it for about 18 years…! will never sell it, still love a blast out on it.
    just search ebay nearest first an buy a cheap one to see what u think to it, if u spend 50 an don’t enjoy it u can sell it on one probably won’t loose anything

jedi

bmx rocks!
    i rode from edmonton to welwyn garden city the day i left my van at bt yard for the last time 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

@fervouredimage It’s in Cheney Row, Walthamstow E17

more info here

pickle
    Free Member

Do it! They’re awesome for a 2 mile bit of fun too and from work.

I’ve ridden 20 miles home from work on my 20+ year old Assassin before, took a couple hours but was great fun

2 miles is a piece of P*ss 😀

1981miked
    Free Member

Been looking online and found this..

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b0s9p3391

Which is nice but a bit over budget..

This is more in my range

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b0s8p3833

And I’d have it in yellow as bright coloured bike ARE faster…. FACT!

enfht
    Free Member

Any 24″ recommendations?

Might just buys me self a bike today..

chiefgrooveguru

I’d get the cheaper yellow one! I wouldn’t get a 24 unless you’re really really tall – so much of the BMX feel is from the tiny wheels.

pickle
    Free Member

1981miked, what is your budget? both those ones listed on Pauls are rubbish to be honest

chiefgrooveguru

What’s the difference between a rubbish BMX and a good BMX?

pickle
    Free Member

also, how tall are you? the top tube length on most real cheap BMX bikes is only about 19″ which is meant for kids, not adults

This is a good starter for the dosh and has a 20.5″ tt

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75044

pickle
    Free Member

Both those GT and Mongoose will have really cheap parts like non sealed BB and hubs, also the geometry and top tube size will be more suited to kids rather than adults.

Don’t get me wrong, most complete BMX bikes under £250 will have cheaper parts on them, but they will be better thought out and will have sealed bits that won’t fall to pieces after 10 miles

pickle
    Free Member

Take a look on some of the rider owned shops like

Radbmxshop
    Liferbmx
    source
    BMX City

These guys know their stuff and offer superb service rather than faceless online shops 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Source BMX are awesome, always great service. Got my bike from Crucial BMX and they weren’t amazing though, it came with scratches (it was meant to be new) and when I told them they just offered me a crucial bmx hoody.. I said I’d be better off with a different brake lever that I’d actually use (the odyssey monolever is a bit far out for my liking) and they never replied..

mamadirt
    Free Member

What kind of BMX is that mamadirt?

It’s a Cult CC00. RRP is not cheap but there are plenty of deals around on 2012 models at the mo’.

As far as mileage is concerned, even at my height unless I run an unfashionably long post, sitting and pedalling is not an option. No problem though, standing and pedalling any distance is great for core strength.

I’m off to the shops now, the long way 😛

pickle
    Free Member

yeah, as Mamdart says, there’s plenty of deals about at the mo….but i would advise one of the great rider owned shops rather than people like CRC, W@nkstanlys and such.

They really do a great job and offer superb service.

duirdh
    Free Member

Why drive to a trail centre if you could ride to a skatepark?

_tom_
    Free Member

Why drive to a trail centre if you could ride to a skatepark?

This was my exact reasoning for getting a bmx 🙂 I have loads of street spots within riding distance and a few good skateparks less than 4 miles away. Then there’s Corby (now with dirt jumps) a 15 minute drive away, Western Park in Leicester a bit further away 🙂 My mtb only gets used now when me and my mates have the same days off work to go for a ride somewhere different, or if I’m on an early work shift and can go down to Woburn for a few hours after.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I want a BMX… There said it!’ is closed to new replies.