Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • I want a 26" Orange 5 – am I mad??
  • chestrockwell

Not trying to be a dick but I thought by 2013 the 5 had a maxel rear as standard? Saying that, the 2011 and 12 frames were the same in every other aspect so wouldn’t really matter. Enjoy!

chestrockwell

Yep, just checked the archive on the Orange site and the last year qr rear was standard was 2011 so providing the head tube is tapered that’s what it will be. Same frame as the 12/13 apart from that though.

velocipede
    Free Member

2011 it must be then!

Just got in from a 17 miler in my local woods – didn’t feel quick but really enjoyed it – mainly rough single track – I got in to discover Ive picked up a Strava KOM without even noticing!!!! Maybe it was quick after all!!

😀

chestrockwell

8)

damskivitch
    Free Member

I’ve still got my Sub 5 had it from new in 2000!, I really do mean to sell it, but can’t bear to part with it after all these years, especially as I’d get peanuts for it.

Maybe some wide bars and new forks might get it back out, although my 29er hardtail suits my riding better, and fits better (I’m 6’6)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate has just sold his 2012 5 to my son & bought himself a Bronson (cheaper of the carbon ones) & the only thing he’s mentioned is how more confidence the fatter tyres give him!
    Secretly I think he just wanted to keep up with the times. 🙂

My lad LOVES his 2nd hand 5!

Del

8)

gelert
    Free Member

You’re spot on @chestrockwell. 2013 were all Maxle. Before that it was an optional extra for 2011/2 models and buying from eBay was more difficult to definitely get a Maxle version. Same geo and sizing otherwise between those years and it was bike of the year back then.

The Black Gold 2012 version had Maxle rear and a lovely spec on it. Lovely looking bike that one.

Fixed my Five back up last night ready to ride again and no creaks. 🙂

velocipede
    Free Member

Here it is on tonights ride – forgive the seat pack!

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Still loving my five, I am sure there are better bikes, but as long as you are happy on 26″ there are some bargains to be had 🙂

pnik

Ive a 2012 Five that is maxle fwiw. Really should sell it, maybe next month, i rode it the other day because its replacement needed new brake pads and got some personal bests! Wasnt expecting that. It is a cracking bike but it was always a tad small, too many headset spacers and a high riser make it ok though. I was going to replace it with a not orange, but nothing i rode felt like an upgrade until i rode the segment.

roverpig

Congratulations on the new bike @velicipede. Just a few random thoughts:

It looks to be set up mainly for fun on the downs (160mm forks, coil shock, no dropper). Winch your way to the top, drop the saddle and act like a hooligan on the way down. I might be tempted to go for a shorter stem and wider bars for that sort of riding, but either way, it should be a right laugh.

They are very versatile though. Set it up with, say, 140mm forks, air shock and a dropper and it would be better as an XC bike (but not such a hooligan on the descents). Horses for courses.

However you prefer it I hope you have fun with it.

velocipede
    Free Member

Ok somewhat embarrassingly, I’ve put mine up for sale after 2 weeks. Just not my thing after all:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/18orange-5-v-nice-spec-bargain-in-my-opinion

(Apologies for less than stealthy ad!)

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I want a 26" Orange 5 – am I mad??’ is closed to new replies.