Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • I wanna buy a touring bike. Help!!!!
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Oops, sorry, meant LHT…

spokebloke
    Free Member

Recently got a Surly Cross Check – it'll tour with ease, and has mounts in all the right places.

Very comfy. Also, comes in 700c in smaller sizes.
    Have a word with Charlie the Bikemonger.

firestarter
    Free Member

crosscheck is great as you can use it for lots of things too

tour mode (pardon the decor lol)

geared monstercross with 1.8 bonty 29er tyres on

and currently in ss mode

ton

mick, spacertastic………… 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers tony lol short headtubes on drop bar bikes pi55 me off lol i could stick a pointy uppy stem but that would mean buying a new stem 😉

that said i must like spacers as ive a few on my posh bike too lol

hey if its comfy sod what people think it looks like 😉

ton

got 70mm of spacers on my LHT 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

must be those short surly headtubes 😉 tho ive only got 5mm on my karate monkey

shermer75
    Free Member

Why do drop bar tourers always have those bar-end gear shifters instead of regular road ones? It all seems a bit messy + unnecessary to me…

firestarter
    Free Member

cheaper to spec them ?

my ss has sti's lol

shermer75
    Free Member

I know! I saw that. Seems like a better solution to me…

firestarter
    Free Member

i prefer sti shifting by a long way and i swap from geared to ss fairly often so i just pull the cables thru when i take off the gears and leave levers in place . dead easy and quick that way

druidh
    Free Member

Surly spec bar-end shifters as they are simpler to bodge if you break down in the middle of the Atacama. Ever taken apart a road STI?

STATO
    Free Member

My LHT has bar-end shifters and to be honest im really impressed with them. Obviously they are not a fast to shift as STI but since i never ride on the hoods i have to move my hand to shift anyway. They fall to hand so easilly and once you learn how much you need to nudge them to shift its incredibly accurate, plus they are so light to shift i can nudge it with my finger and it goes. Ive got some Kelly take-offs i bought for this bike but at the moment im happy enough as is.

Rich
    [committed techno-geek and (former) gear snob]

OCB
    Free Member

Plus you can use them as friction shifters if *something* kills your indexing.

This has got me out of a pickle a few times in the past, even if it's only meant that I can ride off the dirt and onto the tarmac to try to sort the problem out, rather than walking out.

(I actually quite liking friction shifting …).

wwaswas

ton appears to be selling his now if the OP hasn't found anythign else..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It would seem that Abbey Cycles have 2010 Sutras in stock.

http://www.abbeycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p1253

headfirst
    Free Member

I've only read the OP.

My best mate has recently bought a Ridgeback Panarama, he's very happy with it – took the front rack off for the mean time as we're only doing credit-card touring at the mo.

(I've 'converted' my cheap road bike by putting on some Hewitt-built 36 spoke touring wheels). My next tourer will probably be a Hewitt or a van Nicholas FWIW.

pilgrimbob
    Free Member

60cm Galaxy for £799 here

I bought one, it's great.

They also do a Claud Butler Dalesman for £100 less.

mtb_matt
    Free Member

The Sutra looked much better speced than the Galaxy and they're similar money. Am I missing something?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I wanna buy a touring bike. Help!!!!’ is closed to new replies.