Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I used some conti X-kings race sport tyres today and….
  • Janesy
    Free Member

120 mm light hardtail with rockshox SIDS with ZTR alpine rims.
    Riding at a fast race pace through Erlestoke.

2.4 on the front – not as wide a people said but not a lot of Clearance on the SIDS .
    2.2 rear all setup tubeless. – went up first time and perfect. I did wash the tyres with meths first (tiny amount)
    Pumped up 40psi – I know quite high

Was mixed terrain in a forest somewet routes, dry dusty trail and loamy forest, and some wet mud.

Tyres = wow the best I’ve ever ridden. Coming from ‘race’ tyres it’s nice having loads of grip. these were very fast rolling too and light.

HiGHLY recommended!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hi Janesy,

You know you should not be riding Erlesoke as it is MOD land….:-)

Good to Hear you like X kings and they work over there, I used X king on the front over there, in the dry they are good, but with the wet weather I found they glogged a bit to much over there, So I got some Mountain kings and they are top all round tyre, for all but for dusty trails (becomes a little slow them)

Running tubless about 28 PSI

Janesy
    Free Member

Hi Rob! Yes yes It was only on the legal paths…

I used the Xkings as they were fast rolling so were still ‘semi race’ but with added grip. The 2.4 steam rolls everything and has totaly transformed my riding. I even got a KOM down salisbury hollow and as you know its loose rocky.

Only problem is – 0 mud clearance now on the rockshox even less than normal.

As for PSI – I’ll have to experiment. although the rear when low pressure sqiums alittle so found it best pretty solid. Should be good next weekend at Bonty 24/12. You doing it?

MSP

I like the x-kings, run the racesport on the front, but found it a bit lightweight for the rear and prefer the ptotection version there.

cookeaa

Wash the tyres with meths first?
    are they dripping with mold release or something? I’ve never heard of anyone doing this…

Is this a common thing or perhaps a bit Anal?

40Psi sounds quite high to me for an MTB tyre now, especially run tubeless too, have you experimented with lower pressures at all?

MSP

Its common for the continental tubeless ready tyres.

Janesy
    Free Member

Cookeaa – No have not experimented with pressures yet – Popped the tyres on at 40psi to get the rim seated and went out for a ride. Even at that pressure there grippy (er) than my old tyres. Apen 2.25 exc.

As for meths…. – Read on the interweb about the mould repellent and stans not sealing, so why not, I had some in the garage.

I’ve also heard that the Race Sport don’t like tubeless but I’ve had no issues. I don’t know if that’s because of me cleaning them or they just worked.

Its common for the continental NON tubeless ready tyres.

rickon
    Free Member

Agreed about the X-Kings, I’m running a 2.2 RS on the rear, simple to tubeless – scrubbed them with fairy and IPA first. Popped on without any hassle with just a track pump – didn’t need to seat the bead first with a tube, and no washing up liquid on the rim required.

They’re proper grippy, far more so than Rocket Rons – which have a similar tread pattern, and similar use – but the RoRo are dual compound – meaning the middle tread has little grip.

They’re a bit more draggy, but I really don’t care – the additional grip is just more fun.

Conti seem to have sorted out the tubeless issues – that or people were not scrubbing them, or inflating them correct in the first place.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I used some conti X-kings race sport tyres today and….’ is closed to new replies.