Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • I thought slacker was better?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Most of what GW writes on here, regarding bikes n that, generally sounds about right to me.

whinosp
    Free Member

As for getting a slack bike to turn sharply, countersteer then fall into the turn.

A Scandinavian Flick? You don’t think having to do that may show the bike is ‘too slack’?

molgrips
    Free Member

I used yo have a Fisher Cake, 5″ travel 70 degree head angle. Climbed like a dream, great on singletrack but really scary on the very steep bits. Totally lacked confidence and didn’t attempt much.

The 5 beats it hands down on anything going down hill.

Northwind

davidtaylforth – Member

Most of what GW writes on here, regarding bikes n that, generally sounds about right to me.

Aye. ****ing horrible like, but correct.

ahwiles
    Free Member

whinosp – Member

“As for getting a slack bike to turn sharply, countersteer then fall into the turn.”

A Scandinavian Flick? You don’t think having to do that may show the bike is ‘too slack’?

i think i know what he’s talking about, counter-steering is a phrase used by motorbikists, in simple terms it means leaning the bike to steer, not turning the bars.

in more complicated terms, it means initiating a nice leaned-over turn by pushing with the ‘wrong’ hand – ie; pushing with your left hand to initiate a left turn, and vice versa.

it’s hard (for me) to explain it better than that – maybe because i don’t understand it, but i think i do, and this is STW…

toys19
    Free Member

Counter steering comes from gyroscopic progression, which is hard to explain with out holding a wheel by the axles and spinning it, then it makes total sense, although I am not 100% sure if it applies in all bicycle cornering applications as many of them are at lowish speeds where it will make no contribution..

That doesnt mean to say that pushing on the left bar to turn left doesnt apply, I just dunno if it is all down to counter steering, I think there is a lot to do with weight shifting too as the stability from the spinning wheel at lower speeds is a small contribution to the stabilising forces of the bike.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘I thought slacker was better?’ is closed to new replies.