Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I think I've bought a bike I don't want to ride
  • jimmy

To recap, my Heckler hadn't been ridden since Mega last year due to injury then lack of time plus enjoying the hardtail. Then it got stripped by local scrotebags and all new kit arrived courtesy of Halfords. Pikes, Elixir's, this and that. I was unsure about building the Heckler because its always been on the small side, so bagged a 2nd hand Orange 5 last week. Its now built up but I have no interest in riding it for some reason, and therefore because a lot of kit is new I daren't just take it out for a spin to see if I like it. Now I'm likely to be in London for the next 3 months, after which its winter climbing season so unlikely to get ridden (regularly at least) for the next 6 months.

Is it worth hanging on to the bike or selling it all and getting something new next spring? Hmmm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

at least TON and HORA actually take the bikes for a ride first 🙄

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

if it is mostly new you will losse a lot of cash!! I would go for a ride anyway to try and get the interest going…. either that or pack it away for a few months

RealMan
    Free Member

I'll have it 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and therefore because a lot of kit is new I daren't just take it out for a spin to see if I like it.

Why? There's no logic in that statement.

jimmy

Junkyard – difference might be that I had no choice. It was that or £1600 of spare windscreen wipers and GT85 from Halfords.

Thing is, I'm still looking at other bikes to replace it. I don't wanna spend Autumn in London 🙁

cp

are you sure it's that particular bike you don't want to ride, or do you just not fancy riding at all? if that bike, then why not?

tinsy
    Free Member

There is loads of riding to be had with a few trips out of London, the old wall around the town isnt there now (well most of it isnt) and neither are the sentries that used to gaurd it.

nickhart
    Free Member

aawww boo hoo. get out and ride the thing. i'm off the bike for however long while chemo sorts stuff out and there's a massive thread by a guy going through something similar. i won't speak for him but as far as i'm concerned you have a bike, you have legs (an assumption on my part i know) and you can breath. go ride. ride and get the love in the legs, the wind in the hair and the adrenalin through the veins.
    either that or sell it and by a chess set.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Keep the bits and change the frame?

Drac

It's Ton, Mammadirt, Hora and now jimmy that keep the bike industry going.

bomberman
    Free Member

Dear STW,

I have lost my balls and my willy has gone limp.

What ever shall i do?

Yours truly,

Jim bob.

😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

though not speaking from the same position as nick (good luck!), i would agree with the sentiment. amazing as it may seem, i and numerous others live in london and manage to ride our bikes. you're a lucky chap having such a nice bike, i'd make the most of it!

Tim
    Free Member

Why did you have to buy everything from halfords?

robidoo
    Free Member

Pics,spec and price of the five to
    robidoo1@hotmail.co.uk

radoggair
    Free Member

jimmy, i hereby offer to look after the bike for you whilst your away. I plead to clean, oil and store safely the bike whilst not ridden. It will receive a good workout and if neccessary i shall hand it back with reports on how it rides etc using a out of ten system

What ya say??

zaskar
    Free Member

Ride the bus turd open minded.

Sell the frame it it's too bloody small.

Ride your Orange and enjoy it and don't worry it will get banged and kncoked-it happens.

I've found some guys who ride in Winter on their mtb and I plan to join the nutters.

I was in the same boat as you. Just ride! you'll soon rediscover if you love it or hate it! 😈

mamadirt
    Free Member

LOL @ Drac, tho' after today's Uni visit I fear that the industry may fall crumbling to its knees next year without my support 😉

scuttler

What's 'winter climbing season'? As in riding up hills, or buggering off to the Alps to climb mountains because winter climbing in the UK will leave you with a lot of spare time staring at the weather forecasts unless you live in Fort William. Believe it or not it is possible to ride your bike when it's cold/wet/cold+wet.

MTFU.

grantway
    Free Member

You do have Epping Forest which is on the Central Line some good trails there
    and you see most guys meeting up at High Beech and there are a group called
    eppinghardcru.co.uk
    Take a look at there site and there are another called overthirys this group have to may accidents
    for what I hear.
    Wr bouts are you in London ?

jackal
    Free Member

Get a grip, stop making excuses, and ride the thing…

I'm stuck in the second month of non riding due to crashing and fracturing 2 vertebrae in my spine, 2 ti rods 8 screws and a bone graft later and i'll not be able to ride full on until december.
    I'd do anything to be able to 'get out and ride' at the minute but can't.

As said, you have the bike, you have legs, you can breathe, go ride!

All the best.

acjim
    Free Member

As some of the others have said, good riding in London – hop on a train from a central station and in less than an hour you are on the trails in: chilterns, north downs, epping, swinley and even the glorious south downs with a little more train time. North Downs and Swinley are particularly good for Winter rides, good drainage and pretty sheltered.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I think I've bought a bike I don't want to ride’ is closed to new replies.