Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • I think I'm gonna give up eating meat.
  • mrkstvnz
    Free Member

I don’t know where this has come from ? I feel to much empathy for the animals.
    Plus stories, videos and the odd documentry , which seems to be the most despicable acts towards the animals in the slaughter houses. I get animals being reared in a organic perfect life before slaughter. Plus being slaughtered in a proper humane way. No ill treatment, which I’m sure there are lots of places. However…….
    I can’t stand intensive farming and awful neglect and treatment of the animals in anyway shape or form being reared or slaughtered , plus awful conditions for animals being contained for their milk , eggs etc..
    Making me think I don’t want any animal in my diet at all. Or in my life… leather etc. I’ve had this thought for a while and the more I look into animal welfare, it just makes me really sad and wonder why. Rant over.

scotroutes

The laws of supply and demand suggest that fewer meat eaters means it will be cheaper for the rest of us. Big thumbs up to you.

njee20
    Free Member

But… but… Bacon.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If it helps, more animals are killed every year in the production of food crops than are killed to eat…

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Scotroutes enjoy. ****

andytherocketeer

Bacon

is a a vegetable for the purposes of being vegan (in true EU fashion)

meat is just recycled vegetation.

😉

binners

If god didn’t mean us to eat animals he wouldn’t have made them out of food. And they’ll only eat each other if we don’t do it. They’re …well…. animals

Have a pepperami

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

😀

rumple
    Free Member

he wont allow it…..

wwaswas

binners
    Rubber_Buccaneer

The laws of supply and demand suggest that fewer meat eaters means it will be cheaper for the rest of us.

Economies of scale suggest it may be more expensive but not factory farmed so he may win if he can persuade enough sheep to follow him 🙁

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Even though i’m a meat eater, good on you. I don’t eat bacon anymore, can’t say i miss it or the following indigestion.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bacon overrides all arguments no matter how you feel about animal welfare and such.

Besides, QI said once that pigs having no value at all alive but great value dead.

That said, my meat consumption isn’t huge as I’ve gone fairly “Italian” (read – pasta & tomato dishes mostly) and only a little meat in them and often none or seafood instead. Not through what I feel about meat though. Still partial to a bit of bacon from time to time.

Rockplough
    Free Member

More power to you OP. I’ve thought about it, and barely eat red meat or chicken any more. Fish almost every day though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I read somewhere that veggies kill more animals because of all the animals killed by combine harvesters. Funny as hell if true.

EDIT: Hah found it….buowhahahahah

http://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

pondo

I think, bacon aside, if I was allowed fish, I might just – just – be able to survive without meat.

retro83
    Free Member

Rockplough – Member

More power to you OP. I’ve thought about it, and barely eat red meat or chicken any more. Fish almost every day though.

Why the distinction with fish?

nickc

OP, don’t beat yourself up about it. Take an ethical stand by all means, but it needn’t be so black and white. I’m a garden-variety veggie (will eat eggs drink milk) and have leather goods. Any action that you want to take is a step forward.

You won’t miss meat anyway. It’s not all that 😀

binners

Why the distinction with fish?

Because they’re not cute. You’re not allowed to eat cute furry things, but ugly things are fair game 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPriOQkKd6k[/video]

edward2000
    Free Member

If you love animals so much why do you eat their food?

nickjb
    Free Member

barely eat red meat or chicken any more. Fish almost every day though.

We were discussing this last night funnily enough. Even the veggie amongst us said he was happier giving his cat fish rather than beef. Eating fish means lots of deaths, one fish for the meal plus the throw backs plus the devastation to the other sea life. You could slice a good few burgers from a cow before it missed them. Basically one life for a years worth of meat from a cow, several lives for a single meal from a fish. Seems the wrong way round.

grum
    Free Member

I mainly agree with you but eating and cooking nice meat is one my greatest pleasures in life and I’m too selfish. I am trying to move away from eating any factory farmed meat though – easy when you’re cooking for yourself but not so easy when eating out/buying sandwiches etc. I know I could buy vege sandwiches/meals out but I don’t, generally.

OP you are gonna have to give up on dairy too though I’m afraid – arguably the animals are worse-treated than those reared for meat. Oh and most soy is probably ethically dodgy too, as is quinoa. It’s not as simple as you might think unless you grow/rear most of your own food.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mrkstvnz – Member
    I feel to much empathy for the animals.

hahaha! 😆

slowoldman

I don’t eat bacon anymore, can’t say i miss it or the following indigestion.

You are clearly not built right. I can’t ever recall having indigestion from bacon.

It’s a shame not to consume pig in all its forms, they put in such a lot of effort for us.

We too though have reduced our meat consumption and are also eating more white than red these days. I buy from a quality butcher who sources his meat from “non-intensive” sources. Yes it’s pricier than supermarket stuff – but not by a huge amount and tastes far better.

I do have a cheeky Gregg’s bacon butty now and then though (naughty I know, but I would pay extra for “non-intensive” if the choice was there).

I do though share your misgivings about industrialised slaughter. Even if you are going to eat animals, there is no need to mistreat them whilst they are alive. There were moves years ago to make available on-farm mobile slaughter houses which would enormously reduce the stress on animals as well as reducing the cost of transporting livestock. It seemed to come to nothing.

nickc

OP you are gonna have to give up on dairy too though I’m afraid – arguably the animals are worse-treated than those reared for meat. Oh and most soy is probably ethically dodgy too, as is quinoa. It’s not as simple as you might think unless you grow/rear most of your own food.

I find the “you have to give-up everything” argument to be one of the most tedious.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw if all we ever ate was free range happy animals, we’d have ate all the animals to extinction by now! 😆

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Empathy for the animals that are getting kicked, punched and stabbed with knives before it reaches your plate.

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Slowoldman thanks.

dazh

I was going to reply to say expect lots of childish replies with pictures of bacon and stupid comments like ‘what about vegetable rights’ but I see the STW massive has got there first.

Of course I’m assuming this isn’t a troll, which it probably is (been a while since the last insecure meat-eaters bingo thread), but if not welcome to the fold. Expect to be asked ‘what do you eat’ quite a lot, and be ready with a suitably sarcastic answer 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I find the “you have to give-up everything” argument to be one of the most tedious.

Oh I’m sorry for applying logic to people’s emotional reactions.

If someone is saying they are giving up meat because of a concern for the animals’ welfare is it not reasonable to ask them if they have considered giving up something which is arguably worse in terms of animal welfare?

I reckon not eating dairy but eating a bit of well-looked after/slaughtered meat (not that this is what I do) is probably way more ethical than eating dairy regularly but not any meat.

bigjim

Eating fish means lots of deaths, one fish for the meal plus the throw backs plus the devastation to the other sea life

plus if it is farmed fish it takes ~three tonnes of wild fish turned into fish food to produce one tonne of farmed fish.

Veggies should think of the billions of insects killed to protect their vegetable crops.

#savetheuncharismaticmegafauna

nickc

Grum,

because most folk don’t apply such a Kantian philosophical view to life. Most people have a much more Utilitarian outlook (excepting threads on STW about people choosing not to eat meat)

That’s why it’s tedious

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

And how quickly and painlessly do you think the fish die?

scotroutes

Grum,

Damn your tedious accuracy!!

allthepies
    Free Member

Dude, it’s Pie Week. Can’t you hold off until Monday ?

lemonysam
    Free Member

because most folk don’t apply such a Kantian philosophical view to life. Most people have a much more Utilitarian outlook (excepting threads on STW about people choosing not to eat meat)

Huh? Inconsistency is no more a virtue of utilitarianism than of the categorical imperative.

hora
    Free Member

Discussing bull running on a different forum and some people were appalled yet will gladly pick up a plastic packed chunk of meat from an animal ‘humanly treated’ (pampered, brilliant living conditions? No ‘humane’ in the most comnercially realistic sense) and then shot in the head with abolt or had its throat slit.

nickc

Inconsistency is no more a virtue

right…’Cos the only choices are of course: All the lovely things in the supermarket…or nothing at all. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Agree with all the pies

Plus OD on Bacon. Eat your entire bodyweight in Bacon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘I think I'm gonna give up eating meat.’ is closed to new replies.