Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • I think I want to sell my bike and quit! : (.
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Evening people,

After much deliberation I am seriously considering selling my Cotic Soul and packing it in.
    Not one particular reason really but have found it really hard to get motivated to go biking, I haven’t ridden for at least 2 months and have no real ambition to go out anytime soon!

I used to bike most weekends but think I have been out twice since April! I often work 6 days and start very early in the mornings, so the idea of getting up at 7am on my day off and driving 2 hours to some decent biking just doesn’t motivate me. Then by the time we get going and ride a few bits etc then get packed away, clean up, drive home, wash the bike, wash the gear, have a shower etc… It is 7pm…. On my only day off!

Plus I play a lot of Ice Hockey so find that keeps me fitter and gives me a bigger buzz!

I am not really a winter biker anyway but just feel a bit “whatever” with biking nowadays!

HELP!

I tried road biking but didn’t like it so I think the end is nigh!

If I do sell up anybody want a lovely 16″ Cotic Soul in Orange?

warton
    Free Member

how tall are you? how much?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I guess some people just don’t like mountain biking as much as others!!

I wouldn’t be able to handle not biking since April.

Try a different trail, that might help.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shorty121
    Free Member

Maybe wait til summer and see how it goes, motivation during winter is tough.

cinnamon_girl

Relax, most of us think like that at some point! Why do you need to drive such distances to ride? Perhaps change your way of looking at local trails and/or studying the map and go exploring.

I haven’t ridden for 6 weeks following accident and it’s unlikely I’ll be riding before Spring due to waiting for surgery and recovery. Am finding it bloomin’ hard!

As said above, it’s hard in Winter but it reallly would be worth persevering with a road bike even just for fitness.

Now if it were a black Soul … used to have one and really do miss it, it was a terrific workhorse of a bike.

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah, I used to think about nothing else then the guys I biked with quit, got married etc and stopped coming out so much… I suppose it was always going to happen since I started playing more Ice Hockey…and cough “golf” cough.

I have tried riding different trails but no avail.

It is a 16″ and I’m 5ft 5/6 ish.

Kryton57

Maybe wait til summer and see how it goes, motivation during winter is tough.

Indeed. Despite it being a nice day and despite me having next years events planned and being fairly fit 3 x a week rider, I struggled to get through the first half of a 30k ride today, just wasn’t feeling it.

Glad I did it TBH, but going slowly through muddy singletrack isn’t the same as the swoopy dry stuff we’ve had most of the year :-/

mintimperial

I stopped almost completely for the best part of a decade. Got married, worked hard, moved to a city, had a kid, had no time for it. Then I moved back to the countryside and started riding again in earnest a couple of years ago. I am riding more now than ever before.

Take a break, you can always come back to it. Sell the bike if you need the cash, you can always buy another one.

But golf? Ugh… 😉

flow
    Free Member

Buy a new bike, that always gets you back into it.

stratobiker
    Free Member

“You can check out any time you want but you can never leave”….

SB

theboatman
    Free Member

No buzz, no point really, you may as well do what you enjoy. Things might change over time, but maybe not.

karnali
    Free Member

how much for the fram how old is it and any pics very intested

martin_varey@yahoo.com

cheers

xcneil
    Free Member

“You can check out any time you want but you can never leave”….

+1

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I havent ridden a mountain bike in around 6 months, maybe longer. Sometimes you just lose the love for a wee while.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you find the time for Golf and Ice Hockey but can’t find time for Biking, you obviously enjoy them more ?
    (Or at least prioritise them higher.)
    Nothing wrong with that, just do whatever you enjoy. That’s what life should be about.
    Don’t sell your bike unless you need to though, you never know when you might want to ride again.

singletrackmind

Maybe you need to find different people to ride with?
    Why get up at 0700 to go riding ? I get up at 0500 most days , but never go out to ride before 0830.
    Its winter , its dark, buy some lights and scare yourself on your usual trails . They all ride differntly at night .
    WHy not enter a race or enduro or try the SDW . This will give you a reason and some motivation to get out and ride .

tommid
    Free Member

Bye then….

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve not been biking properly for over 8 weeks….

a combination of too much work, being too lazy, crappy foggy weather….

so what if you only ride in summer?

and if your bike isn’t costing you anything then why sell it?

chin up.. go play on the ice and when the sun shines go and scare yourself on the bike…

chakaping
    Free Member

Where do you live that you have to drive two hours to ride?

acjim
    Free Member

try road riding – straight from the door, easier to get a quick hour in here and there. lots of glam lycra to wear 😉

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I dropped out of riding for quite a few years before getting back into it, my big regret is selling the old bike. Modern kit is nicer but I wish I’d hung on to it, i’d suggest not selling the Soul unless you need the cash.

GW
    Free Member

if you think it takes a 2hr drive to get somewhere enjoyable to ride a bloody Cotic Soul you should def give up. (or stop whingeing and open your eyes)

Mike_D
    Free Member

I must say I’m struggling to imagine anywhere in the UK that has no decent riding within a two-hour radius.

mattjg
    Free Member

Golf is like anti-matter to mountain biking. Time to move on.

racefaceec90

i don’t ride my bike anything like as much as i’d like to (due to depression/laziness in my case).i usually hibernate during the winter also (especially with a certain game being released tomorrow).i sometimes go weeks without riding,but and this is the big but,i would really miss my bike if i sold it (have done this in the past and regretted it big time).i know that i will always want to mountain bike at some point.you need to buy an o/s map of where you live and have a look.you’ll be surprised what you find.at least keep the bike until the spring (better weather/warmer) then see how you feel 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

acjim – Member
    try road riding – straight from the door, easier to get a quick hour in here and there.

+1

1981miked
    Free Member

Charming GW… Nothing constructive to say then move along!
    I did say anywhere decent! U really make me want to stay….. U have no idea how I ride or my ability, I’m merely posting about my lack of motivation to ride, why ride your bike if it ain’t enjoyable?

Liking the Eagle lyrics thrown in for good measure tho guys! Love that band.
    The bike is costing me nowt and I don’t need to sell it, as for changing my bike, I was a constant fettler and always changing my frames so been there and done that…although I still like the Chumba VF2.

Thanks for the supportive comments so far guys, all is not lost yet. Although I did really try the road biking thing and just couldn’t get into it. Apologies for the golf admission by the way! I play with the Ice Hockey dudes and find it quite therapeutic.

epicyclo

You’ll need a fatbike if you want any fun in the bunkers…

1981miked
    Free Member

Ok, maybe the driving 2 hours is an exaggeration but what I meant was i find the though of going biking a bit of a scatter…. I hate myself for saying it as I used to love it do much, I raced years ago, rode DH, did XC, cycled everywhere… Maybe it is just a phase. Plus I have had a dodgy shoulder of late after some dislocation and separation issues.

elaineanne
    Free Member

he said he doesnt like road biking !!!!
    weel crack on with the ice-hockey 😉 if you get more of a buzz with that then stay with it ….. you can always try agin with the bike next Spring ? but yeah stay with the sport that you enjoy the most (for yourself) rather than trying to plough through something that you just cant be bothered with anymore..it will drag you down…. people do change and for different reasons….happy ice hockey for you 😉

corroded
    Free Member

I think if I had to drive 2hrs to ride good trails my motivation would waver. I’m lucky in that I can ride straight from the front door. I think this is your biggest problem. Perhaps pack it in until you move somewhere different with better local trails. I’ll admit to having done a lot of road riding in the past and enjoying it – it’s different, with more of an emphasis on fitness, so I found setting a goal, such as a sportive like the Etape, helped with motivation.

1981miked
    Free Member

Not a bad idea epic, like a golf and polo mix?

I do love my Soul mind u, maybe I’ll go look at it tomorrow after work..

ton

just be glad and thankfull that you have got other interests to keep doing mate.
    i am in a situation where i cant ride properly, and i would give anything to be able to do so.

keep on keeping on mate, and good luck with your choices…….. 8)

GW
    Free Member

I did say anywhere decent!

I can guarantee you’ll have somewhere “decent” to ride a short pedal from your front door, the UK is great that way.

U really make me want to stay…..

is that what you were after? Sorry, but I couldn’t really care less if another random stranger on an internet forum gives up or not, you just sound like a whinger to me.

U have no idea how I ride or my ability

what has that got to do with anything?

I’m merely posting about my lack of motivation to ride, why ride your bike if it ain’t enjoyable?

You said it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If I had to drive 2 hours to ride somewhere then I wouldnt bother, Im sure there must be places closer to home though. Where do you live?

Buy a cyclocross bike, then you can ride all the roads/tracks/paths/everything from your front door.

ton

GW, you really are one miserable unhelpfull sour twisted little man.

defydude
    Free Member

*skip to the end*

Get a road bike.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I took 5 years out. Went to Germany in the Army, sold the bike, drank beer, ate Frikadellers and generally slobed about. Got back into it when a friend invited me out and lent me his Trek. Broke my thumb and never looked back. Saying that, I bought a motorbike about a year ago and green lane mostly now.

It’s a hobby, not a job. You don’t have to do it.

GW
    Free Member

gonna threaten to “chin” me Ton?

I’m simply being realistic

ton

no, you are being a miserable bore

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘I think I want to sell my bike and quit! : (.’ is closed to new replies.