Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • I think I want to get an English bull terrier…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Slight update on this, the wife now says if we get one it would have to be a SBT as EBTs are too big. I’d still hope for an EBT but she’ll probably pull rank on me… 🙁

Could I take a SBT out on a 12-15 mile ride, not too high tempo, and he’d still be standing at the end of it?

donsimon
    Free Member

No problem sandwich, but folks can misunderstand the truth about the Staffy. 😉

Loddrick, shouldn’t be a problem if you get a good one, my last Staffy would run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run. Current one a lot less so.

Andy

Sky did ok on Whytes today. Overtook me on the all the climbs and the black bit 🙄 She happily (when not overtaking) tucks in behind my back wheel. Distance wise Whytes is 17kms and she was pretty unfit when I got her 7 months ago (couldn’t run more than 200 metres without limping).

So long as you dont really start before the dog is a couple of years old it should be ok for that distance. Shortish legs dont make for a distance dog 😀

And pm me if want to talk through anything when getting one

backhander
    Free Member

English bull terriers (EBTs) are a lot madder (and more overbred). Will eat any object lying around and regularly need their stomach opened. For inspiration check out the art work of Ray Richardson. I have a print of this:

Oh really?
    I’ve had my rescue EBT (cross) for 9 years and he’s not needed his stomach opened once. He’s never chewed a thing in the house that wasn’t given to him. A cracking dog and very loving (on the verge of soppy), loves everyone and everyone loves him. Except cats, he hates cats.

_tom_
    Free Member

I love English bull terriers 😀 They’re so cute in a weird ugly kind of way.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the wife now says if we get one it would have to be a SBT as EBTs are too big

you could get a miniature EBT:

http://www.dogencyclopedia.org/Miniature%20Bull%20Terrier.htm

Pigface
    Free Member

I have had two Staffs one was a pedigree that had an umbilical hernia, so couldnt be shown, the stupidest dog of all time but with a loving heart. My second one was a rescue, found running around Newport bus station,the brightest dog I have ever seen. He ate a washing machine 😯 literally.

EBT in my opinion are a bit twitchy, we had one living near us that was barking in a bad way, if me and Badger were walking we would go the other way if we saw it.

Badger was a tall Staff very strong but not overly muscley, asked the vet about this and she said that was how they looked 100 years ago, the massive musculature has been bred into them.

Badger loved everything except squirels, no idea why ignored rabbits etc

Blower
    Free Member

Yep dont exercise a staff until its over 2 years old,

there’s alot more cross staffies out there than pedigrees.
    and some massive looking things 😯

breed standard 16-18″

peajay

Got a staffy, brilliant dog, 21 months old and really starting to fill out, magic dogs, must say I too have a soft spot for the EBT, looks only a mother could love 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve never met an aggressive staffie. Had a friend whose parents had four of them, and a family friend had one too. My brother now has one from a rescue home. Every single one of them have been soft as anything – great around kids, very gentle, and usually very friendly to other dogs. It’s a shame they’re getting such a bad rep.

I like English Bull Terriers too, they’re cute in an ugly sort of way!

carlosg
    Free Member

We don’t have a dog but if we did it would be an EBT or SBT , I’m a postie and all the bull breeds I meet seem to be quite friendly. Strange as it might seem it’s your traditional family dogs (collie’s and labradors) that always seem to be the most aggresive

andyl
    Free Member

Collies can be nasty – they are pastoral dogs so will protect. I like them for their intelligence but not sure I wouldn’t have one as a family pet. They are bred to be well mentally and physically exercised. But they are very useful animals to have around, particularly on the farm due to their intelligence and ferocious streak.

tbh if it was a ‘pet’ I wanted I would go with a heinz 57 and get one made up of dogs I want bits of and I would get one from a rescue centre so I can save a dog and see what it is like fully grown to make sure it will fit in with what I want. My reasoning for the cross breed is robustness. I hate over-breeding but we do have a springer. They have their problems but a lot less than other breeds but they are the type of dog we want for things we want to do with it (shoot, scurry and mountain bike).

carlosg
    Free Member

we do have a springer

been bitten by one of them!

i don’t dislike them though, one of my best mates(lol , now my bro’ in law) has had them since he was 9 years old and they’ve all been fine.

Blower
    Free Member

14-16″ breed standard height, not what i said earlier 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I think I want to get an English bull terrier…’ is closed to new replies.