Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I think I might move to Brecon
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone else live there?

I do know the place, just wondered if anyone on here lives there and wants to share opinions..?

neilc1881
    Free Member

I lived in Brecon for a few years and now live out in Talybont on Usk, not exactly miles away. I love it. Great riding all round, good food, some excellent pubs (though I’m thinking more of my local!). If you can get work you are not going to regret it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Work is all over the place so transport links are a bit of a concern, but I reckon it’s only an extra half hour coming back from the South East, and the traffic jam around Newport on the M4 currently takes me that long on a Friday evening. I’d rather trade 30 mins of being sat in traffic for 30 mins of open roads in the countryside.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Sorted then!

timber

I live near Bwlch, unless you really want to be in town, I’d opt for a village on the edge. That may just be because I’m a hill billy though. Nice Gurkha curry place, bit outdoorsy, couple of bike shops
    We’re about an hour from the bridges/Tewkesbury and the rides start and finish from the door. Abergavenny station has fairly decent links. North Wales is an hour closer.

househusband

If there’s one fond memory I have of Brecon from my younger years it’s this…

neilc1881
    Free Member

Timber, do you ride with anyone locally then?

smiffy

I live a few miles south of Brecon. I don’t personally like Brecon as a town, but it’s a cracking neck of the woods to live. I can see the Beacons and The Black Mountains from my place, and I’m 20 minutes off-road from The Blorenge. can’t grumble.

timber

Not been out much the last year or so due to tearing my shoulder and wedding guff.
    Rode with Graham from Crick’ a few times and the Biped guys. Not usually planed enough to group ride, just look out the window and head up Allt or the ridge behind me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Talybont on Usk….some excellent pubs (though I’m thinking more of my local!)

The Star? Top boozer!

Nipper99
    Free Member

I work in Brecon and wild chuffin horses couldn’t persuade me to live there. It is the armpit of the universe.

argoose
    Free Member

I’m in Trfechan at the other side of Strorey arms from Breacon well lush

Pigface
    Free Member

Never been a fan of the town but a brilliant area to live in.

molgrips
    Free Member

The town’s a bit scruffy to be fair, could do with some paint, but it’s pretty well equipped for a Mid Wales town. It’s nicer than Abergavenny (just) but the houses are way cheaper.

There are some lovely spots outside of town, yes, but you can’t walk anywhere from those kind of places. It’s bundle everyone into the car every time you want to go anywhere except biking 🙂

CountZero

I can see the Beacons and The Black Mountains from my place, and I’m 20 minutes off-road from The Blorenge.

so can I, though not from my place, from about seven miles away, and I live in North Wilts!
    Although binoculars are usually necessary! Nice part of the world around there, spent many a happy hour up there over the years.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Yes, it’s not the town itself that makes me so happy to be living here, though it has everything you need to survive, it’s not flash but it ticks boxes and isn’t silly expensive to live in. A few miles out of town is best for me, I’d struggle to find enough grazing for the sheep in a terraced house. It’s a good community by and large.
    Flash – that’s the one, you may have seen me stood on the corner of the bar in wellies having ridden down through the forestry with the dog “just walking the dog love… I may be some time”.

scaredypants

molgrips, aren’t you married with a small kid ?

I’d have thought they should get to decide as they’re going to be there pretty much all the time – or do you take them with you when you’re on contracts ?

grantway
    Free Member

Molgrips you’ve been nearly all over the UK last year

Very nice place more an Cattle Market/town and very expensive
    to buy

Did you not have some other brainy idea in living somewhere
    else in the UK ?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say the houses are cheap in Brecon – I live toward the bottom of the Swansea Valley and detached house here cost less than a terrace in Brecon when we purchased a few years ago, lots of retirees from away and ex squaddies inflating house prices.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have thought they should get to decide

Well obviously, but they are not on STW so whilst they are also thinking of moving, it did not seem relevant to use the plural pronoun.

FuzzyWuzzy

Used to live in Merthyr and had relatives in Brecon, nice area but not sure I’d want to live there. I’d guess the average age there is pretty old these days as it’s a popular place to retire. House prices didn’t seem that cheap either (especially for the bigger, slightly out of town places).

molgrips
    Free Member

We live in Cardiff currently so it all seems pretty cheap. More expensive than Valleys obv 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I think I might move to Brecon’ is closed to new replies.