Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • I think I am in love with this bike!
  • pingu66
    Free Member

I think I have just found my next bike! A do it all 29er!

Stoater FT

I think it might just be perfect!

Looking at bikepacking that I can stick 28mm tyres on in the winter and occasionally CX tyres, probably need another wheelset.

Have looked at Fargos and James but really think this has swayed me. Was considering pulling the trigger on a Stoater but the FT with fatter tyres adds versatility.

Why shouldn’t I?

Rorschach
    Free Member

There is a Shand in my future.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i think i’d probably tire of trying to have to explain it to people 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not a fan of the bar end shifters…I’d have to swap them for STIs..

But love it…

pingu66
    Free Member

Yes I have already emailed Steve but do not want the bar ends.

I think I only need to decide on the colour!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A do it all 29er!

All of what?

timc
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    All of what?

canal paths, disused railways, country lanes etc

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

canal paths, disused railways, country lanes etc

chuckles 😀

Northwind

Lovely, that. Agree about the shifters though.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Saddle’s at the wrong angle, forest could do with a trim, gravel could be cleaner but why’s no one mentioned the matching valve caps yet?

email on the way Pete.

STATO
    Free Member

Saddle’s at the wrong angle, forest could do with a trim, gravel could be cleaner but why’s no one mentioned the matching valve caps yet?

or the toe overlap.

Toasty

Usually don’t agree with these posts, but I like this one 🙂 Looks like there might be a bit of toe overlap on the front tho.

or the toe overlap.

Nggh, literally wrote the above before reading that. It’s the one thing that bugs me about my Tricross.

scaredypants

“stoater”

😀

Klunk
    Free Member

think I’d get pretty bored of the toe overlap very quickly.

bencooper
    Free Member

Depends how big your feet are, but doesn’t look like it’d have toe overlap to me.

“stoater”

I’m building a Fatbike now – very tempted to call it the Cludgie 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

Saw this at Bespoked Bristol – very nice indeed.

STATO
    Free Member

Depends how big your feet are, but doesn’t look like it’d have toe overlap to me.

The wheel base on all their bikes is tiny, compare to other brands (such as fargo mentioned above) and even the XS Fargo has more toe/tyre room than the XL shand. As someone with size 11 feet id have to ride it to check, but based on other bikes ive owned/ridden the figures (and pic) suggests it will be horrendous.

MSP

Oh god! I never noticed the toe overlap, I have been lusting after a standard stoater for a while, I was going to save up and buy one over the winter, but with size 14 boats, that kills that prospect.

OCB
    Free Member

Having owned (and loved) my Peregrine for years now, I’m completely converted to this kinda platform. If these kinda bikes didn’t exist, I’d have had one made.

Bar-end shifters aren’t to be sniffed at … being able to drop back into friction-mode when you’ve broken your gearing a million miles from anywhere might just make the difference.

(Shame about the toe overlap tho’, it looks like a pretty sweet ride otherwise).

pingu66
    Free Member

Hmmm never experienced toe overlap before personally but only got size 8 feet (stupid for a 6ft man).

How would or could you resolve that, bearing in mind its not a mass produced frame, the standard Stoater has a different fork than what looks like the FT.

Hope its not an issue that can’t be fixed and pretty sure it could be fixed relatively easily.

MSP

Looking at the specs I would prefer an extra 20-30mm length on the top tube anyway, maybe a custom build could be in my future.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like it would be quite a squeeze getting a crud guard, or any mud guard come to think of it, in there , don’t think you can just take a disc cc bike and shove on a couple 2.1 29 inch boots and say hey look at our great “new” bike. Dry Summer days and midget feet special ;).

bencooper
    Free Member

Crud Guards don’t affect toe overlap, and who runs full mudguards on a knobbly tyred bike?

Klunk
    Free Member

Crud Guards don’t affect toe overlap

who said it would ?

oldgit
    Free Member

Actually bar end shifters are pretty nice in use, have you tried them?

Two things that strike me about this bike. A pretty low front end, even with that sloping stem. Looks quite racy rather than ‘do it all’.
    And yes the over lap, fine on the road, but off?

shandcycles
    Free Member

As someone with size 11 feet id have to ride it to check, but based on other bikes ive owned/ridden the figures (and pic) suggests it will be horrendous.

but with size 14 boats, that kills that prospect.

Hope its not an issue that can’t be fixed and pretty sure it could be fixed relatively easily.

Unless you have size 50+ feet or above, there’s no toe overlap. Pic below shows overlap conditions with a typical size 50 shoe. It might seem strange but we do spend a wee bit of time working this stuff out.

looks like it would be quite a squeeze getting a crud guard, or any mud guard come to think of it

CG will fit fine and CG bosses are a no-cost option. It’s not designed to take full length mudguards. There’s also no rear chainstay bridge which would make putting mudguards on a problem anyway. If you want full length mudguards on a bike with 2.3″ tyres, then this bike isn’t for you.

don’t think you can just take a disc cc bike and shove on a couple 2.1 29 inch boots and say hey look at our great “new” bike.

🙄

Gee whiz, there’s a pile of ill informed pish written on this forum at times!

Klunk
    Free Member

nice technical drawing, is that a typical chainset ? I’m convinced.

shandcycles
    Free Member

nice technical drawing, is that a typical chainset ? I’m convinced.

It’s just standard output from our CAD tool that allows us to check stuff like toe-overlap. It’s a 175 crank.

Klunk
    Free Member

so that pic is to scale then ? because some rough measurements in photoshop suggest that the wheel is about 693 mm in diameter a little short of the typical 740 mm

shandcycles
    Free Member

so that pic is to scale then

I assume so but I wouldn’t rule out an amount of squintyness creeping in when it was resized. I didn’t intend it to be a to scale drawing for CSI style analysis, it was an illustration to show what I work with when taking these things into consideration. Perhaps you want to pop round with your calibrated metrology kit!

The tyre diameter I’m working with is 736mm BTW.

Ah those fun packed Sunday evenings eh?

lrd
    Free Member

Toe overlap isn’t that big a deal practically. We steer through body weight except at 1mph when you can adjust to not lead with outside leg on tight turns.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Do it all? the only thing this will do well is a flat fire road

matt_outandabout

I like it. A lot.
    (Don’t rise to the trolls mr_shand…)

bencooper
    Free Member

Do it all? the only thing this will do well is a flat fire road

Gee whiz, there’s a pile of ill informed pish written on this forum at times!

😀

Seriously, it may not be the bike for everyone – no bike is – but the armchair bike designers on here are just being silly.

Northwind

lrd – Member

Toe overlap isn’t that big a deal practically.

Bloody is when you’re climbing… Switchback climbs are a total pain in the arris. So it’s just as well it’s not a problem with the Shand eh 😉

Cheezpleez

Moi but tha do look luvverly

Stoner
    Free Member

I think it’s fantastic, but then I threw this together once:

My only wee wanty would be for an EBB shell (for SS) and rohloff dropouts….

😀

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Anyone else remember Jacquie Phelan racing something very similar in the 80’s? Good ideas never die just evolve…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘I think I am in love with this bike!’ is closed to new replies.