Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • I think either HTC or Endomondo GPS accuracy needs a little more development…
  • iDave
    Free Member

I was running round the track….

Houns

All fine for me

Dan1502
    Free Member

Sampling rate? (Lol)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

quite small though houns…

donsimon
    Free Member

Another red wine, sir?

bruneep

I was running round the track….

you’re only cheating yourself….. 😉

colournoise

Which HTC?

slainte ❓ rob

iDave
    Free Member

Desire S

Jamie
    Free Member

If you want accurate GPS results, get a Garmin.

…even then it might be a bit off.

Oh and genuine lol at Houns.

colournoise

iDave – Member
    Desire S

Not sure about the S, but my Desire HD has always given iffy results (in contrast to the HTC Hero I had previously which was pretty accurate for a phone). Did some interwebs digging and seem to be a few Desires that don’t have great GPS accuracy, so that issue might have carried over into the S?

In the end bought a PAYG Pulse Micro from T Mobile for 20 quid to use as on the bike GPS. Seems to be as accurate as my Hero was and I don’t have to worry about damaging the Desire. Only issue is that I have to wait until home to upload via wireless as I run it SIMless for GPS.

Also, I personally found Endomondo to be slightly less consistent tracking-wise than SportyPal which I now use.

Could also try Tracker Booster from the Market to see if that helps (didn’t do much for me, but other users report decent improvements).

slainte ➡ rob

samuri
    Free Member

Plus the heights are completely off the scale. I did a 125 miler a few weeks back around Calderdale and my local hills. The total height claim from my HTC/Endomondo was 1200m whereas when I dropped the GPS file into Memory map, the height claim was a far more believable 3100m.

higthepig
    Free Member

Why do you need a GPS if you are running around a track? Just thought you would keep turning left and you would get back to the start point.

donsimon
    Free Member

was 1200m whereas when I dropped the GPS file into Memory map, the height claim was a far more believable 3100m.

Feet and metres can be very, very confusing for me too. 😈

iDave
    Free Member

hig, i wanted to measure how slowly I run, and what the altitude gain is on a running track – which was quite considerable.

jamie – 600m? call that a run? pfff.

clubber
    Free Member

my desire s always surprises me with just how accurate it actually is even under trees. I use everytrail though as I didn’t like endomondo.

samuri
    Free Member

Feet and metres can be very, very confusing for me too.

Not with you mate, sorry.

higthepig
    Free Member

i wanted to measure how slowly I run, and what the altitude gain is on a running track

Suppose you could use a calandar for the timing! 🙂

But for the height gain, thought it would even out if you are doing complete circuits, unless it is a special upwards spiral running track

Jamie
    Free Member

jamie – 600m? call that a run? pfff.

Hurdles made it feel longer 😉

Neil-F
    Free Member

I think it needs a clear and uninteruppted view of the sky, which is nearly impossible.
    I use Endo for running and biking, and it seems very erratic. I think its the GPS in the phone though, not the app itself.
    I left mine on accidentally after a cycle roungd the Trossachs a few weeks ago, and the most accurate part of the journey was the car ride home! Followed all the roads spot on….. most frustrating! 😕

colournoise

Neil F – Member
    Followed all the roads spot on….. most frustrating!

Check your phone/app settings.

IIRC some have a ‘snap to roads’ feature.

slainte 😉 rob

stumpy01

I tried endomondo once & it was rubbish. I tried it out at Rutland water & there were multiple places where it had a clear view of the sky but completely lost gps tracking.

My Tracks on the other hand is pretty much spot on – even in thick tree cover it works stuck in the pocket of my rucsack.

When I’m on the road it’s accurate enough to trace what sire of the road you are on.

That’s on a Desire.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I have the Desire HD. Got it as a free upgrade, and frequently get lost trying to use it. Maybe I am getting old!

How do I go about doing any of the above? And what kind of useful mountain bike things can I do with it?

downgrade
    Free Member

My Tracks app on Desire (not S or HD) is usually spot on for me.

I’m pretty sure the altitude numbers it comes up with are complete nonsense though

JoSBC
    Free Member

I run Endomondo on a Blackberry, my BF has it on a HTC Desire. There was always a significant difference in stats, and when compared to a Garmin it was the HTC that was wrong.

The tracking on the HTC got steadily worse (tracking into the North Sea, giving max speed of 700mph etc) until my BF took it back… they had the phone a couple of weeks, admitted it was faulty and sent out a new (recon) one. Endomondo on the replacement Desire now gives a good track and similar stats to my BB/garmin.

Agree the altitude stats on either phone don’t seem great.

iDave
    Free Member

113ft altitude change on a running track!

It seems to be fine cycling. Maybe it doesn’t like the jiggling around when I run, what with me keeping it in my bra…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mixed results with my tracks on desire s. Did a roadie ride and it mapped my u turn in front of the house and riding into drive. Did a motorbike ride and it put me in fields next to the A44. My line through the glorious Fish Hill sweepers might not have been perfect but it wasn’t that bad 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Its a pity these phones arent WAAS enabled.

Dan67
    Free Member

I’m using my tracks on my HTC sensation and if anything its very accurate but for proper accurate tracks you would be better of with a stand alone TLS device

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Where does the OP carry the phone?

iDave
    Free Member

on the end of a 35ft carbon antenna, attached to my bra

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well clearly not. How? Armband type affair?

iDave
    Free Member

back pocket of shorts… tight fitting shorts too….

Junkyard
    Free Member

i wanted to measure how slowly I run,

Use maths for that one? or a clock… more time is slower than less time iirc.

and what the altitude gain is on a running track

Theodolite but I would just go for zero personally

emsz
    Free Member

I haven’t read any of the thread after LOLing at Houn’s track.

Houns

8)

transporter13
    Free Member

right, firstly….proper lol at houns.

next…how would I go about doing as you guys have done and be able to plot distances etc on a map like the above.

please forgive me as i’m useless at techno stuff….i still record cd’s onto the pc and then transfer to my phone if i want music on my phone..never bothered learning how to do that either 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

Use a GPS device – and a programme to load stuff into it
    say a garmin ETREX, Edge whatever and Memory map – lots of other programmes/GPS or phones available
    Get an app for a phone – no idea on which but threads galore on this issue

downgrade
    Free Member

transporter13 – as I mentioned I use the My Tracks app on my phone but there are loads that do the same thing

It depends exactly what you want to do – if its just to work out some distances you can just draw the route onto a map using http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/create/ (other sites are available)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘I think either HTC or Endomondo GPS accuracy needs a little more development…’ is closed to new replies.