• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I think CRC have sent me a newer version…..maybe a naughty PSA
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I wanted to give clipless ago, and despite some poor reviews I ordered the 2016 Crank brothers mallet DH as they were reduced (and I wanted to try CB’s)
    They turned up today and I think they’re the 2017 version (sticker over the CB barcode and part number says 2016 but I think CRC stick that on)
    They look like the new ones on their’s and CB’s website, not the old ones

pistonbroke
    Free Member

It won’t matter whether they’re 2016,17 or 2020, they’ll still explode without warning and rip your leg off. Just saying.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Ha does CB stuff still break lots? Never purchased anything from them since the joplin which went back about 5 times and on the 6th ended up being crushed in a vice beyond recognition in frustration…. Wasn’t going to sell the piece of plop to anyone.

Would have thought things have improved now?

Saccades
    Free Member

😆

IdleJon

Would have thought things have improved now?

Would have thought that they’d issue a recall when the pedals kept popping off the axle years ago. It’s not like it’s dangerous or anything. But they kept producing the pedal with the same fault for years. And years. And years. 😆

ajantom

Would have thought that they’d issue a recall when the pedals kept popping off the axle years ago. It’s not like it’s dangerous or anything. But they kept producing the pedal with the same fault for years. And years. And years.

Thing is I’ve used CB pedals for nearly 15 years, and yet to have this happen. It’s a bit of a lazy trope to trot this out on any thread that mentions CB stuff.

True they need a bit more tlc than SPDs, but I’m willing to trade a bit of maintenance time and the occasional bearing replacement for excellent mud shedding, loads of float, and (in the case of the Mallets) a great platform design.

nickdavies

Happy days. I think they just slap a barcode on a lot of the stuff andworry about a profit at the end of the year.

I ordered a set of sram brakes the other week, they were very cheap as oem versions with no bleed bits or mounts, got a brand new retail boxed version.

twistedpencil

Yep ordered a Joystick 11 a few weeks back, chuffed that a 12 turned up.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Hmmm, it would appear that there are downsides to all this CRC item mis-picking…

I ordered some 6 bolt disk wheels in the past week, instead they sent me the Centrelock version… Maybe they’ll send me Centrelock rotors in the post as a way of saying sorry.

moose
    Free Member

My Mallet E’s are the nuts, and my Mallet DH took some absolutely horrendous abuse. I rate them highly.

grtdkad

I’ve got CB eggbeater on both MTBs, have done for years. Love’em.

burko73

I’ve had some old mallets for yrs and also eggbeaters and now the half sided clipless pedals. No probs after yrs of misuse and love the design, float etc…

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

As of 2015 all new pedals now have the newer internals, with this all the old “issues” have mostly been resolved. Yes you still need to service them but I get around 10 months of use before they need a 20 minute service.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I ran Mallets and Candys (sic) for a while, both of which ate through a set of cleats every few months. The bearings aren’t great either and I found that the nylon soles on my SPD shoes kept slipping off the nylon Candy pedal cages. Quite dangerous when on your road commute.

I went to Shimano and have been happy ever after. Admittedly, this was six years ago and stuff has moved on since but my DX and XT pedals are as good as new, despite minimal maintenance.

IdleJon

It’s a bit of a lazy trope to trot this out on any thread that mentions CB stuff.

There was a very well documented problem with their pedals that was genuinely dangerous. The fact that they didn’t issue a recall or even stop selling them means that they deserve every ounce ounce of bad publicity and lost sales that they get.

As of 2015 all new pedals now have the newer internals, with this all the old “issues” have mostly been resolved.

If this is correct it took them over ten years to correct the problem.

cokie

On the topic of CRC- I got sent a set of Pike RCT3s instead or RCs in the recent Pike PSA.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I get around 10 months of use before they need a 20 minute service.

I get about a decade before my Time ones need a 30 minute bearing replacement service

Yes its better than they were but that is hardly a long life for a pedal is it?

teamslug
    Free Member

Another eggbeater fan here. Still on my first set from waaay back and have 6 more pairs. Never a problem with them. And I can whip up a cake whenever I want.

smiffy

The nut on the end of the axle change was many years before 2015. I still use a pair of the very first ones, branded LOOK in Europe (they had the proper nut, only the American CB ones had the flaky C-clip for a couple of years). If you shortened the axles as I did the upgrade axles always came with the nutted axle.

Del

Thing is I’ve used CB pedals for nearly 15 years, and yet to have this happen. It’s a bit of a lazy trope to trot this out on any thread that mentions CB stuff.

True they need a bit more tlc than SPDs, but I’m willing to trade a bit of maintenance time and the occasional bearing replacement for excellent mud shedding, loads of float, and (in the case of the Mallets) a great platform design.

never heard the tale of the candy pedal that i snapped the axle in half on then? good thing i was wearing mt90 boots. it put a gouge up the inside of one, and stopped it being waterproof, but at least the **** thing didn’t tear through my ankle.

CB took the Time design, sealed the axle from the retention mechanism with o-rings that wore out, and put them in a pretty box. admittedly, a very pretty box. as soon as the o-rings die you go from a once every 6 months service schedule to once a week.
    alright, i might be exaggerating a bit there. 😉

on Times now. retention mechanism is out in the elements and works perfectly, the axle is sealed and also works perfectly, without maintenance every five minutes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I think CRC have sent me a newer version…..maybe a naughty PSA’ is closed to new replies.