Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • I think building my son a bike with a crap rear brake…
  • peabrain
    Free Member

… was the best thing I could have done for his riding.

I built my 3 year old (was 2 at the time) a bike to learn more about bike maintenance. The frame I used had no v brake mounts so I had to source a fork with v – brake mounts as his tiny hands couldn’t get the sidepull ones to work.

So the front brake is brilliant, but the rear is still a side pull one, and not very effective.

This means he uses the front brake all the time and I have noticed how much more in control he is than other kids who use their rear brakes and skid into corners. And down hills he can ride down steep stuff only using his front brake and positioning his body, instead of skidding down a hill.

He is a bit sad he can’t do awesome skids though…but it does save on new tyres 😀

m360
    Free Member

I rode all afternoon, in the rain, with no rear brake (it broke), belting down bridleways faster than my mate could keep up. Nice when you get a small twitch of front lock-up on the gravel, just as you were already backing off the brake. You know you’re on the limit!

I’ve yet to work out why, despite the cable lengths, my front always feels spongier and has more levee travel than the rear though, on my CX and XC bikes?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

faster than my mate

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg[/video]

boxelder

3 is young to learn about bike maintenance – good effort

peabrain
    Free Member

😳 it was me that needed to learn more about bike maintenance (and still do…) but the small boy is learning too 😆

Love that “Faster Than You”, can I have a “My Kid is Faster Than Yours” 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

m360 – Member
    I rode all afternoon, in the rain, with no rear brake (it broke), belting down bridleways faster than my mate could keep up.

Teh Awsum is strong with this one

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘I think building my son a bike with a crap rear brake…’ is closed to new replies.