Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • I swore today
  • SaxonRider

an oath of allegiance to Britain, and finally, after eleven years on these shores, became a citizen.

Yay me!

Now that I am one of you, are there any secrets I should know that you have been withholding?

molgrips
    Free Member

No.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, welcome to zombie maggot world …

Where are you from originally?

🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Bloody immigrants! Coming here, getting naturalised and integrated…

bigyinn
    Free Member

A legal immigrant? Burn him! 😉

Are you local? We’ll have no trouble here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blummin’ immigrants, comin’ over ‘ere, etc!

😉

Great to have you joining us!

*Edit – great minds!*

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Congratulations!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Of course that was just the basic qualification; you’ve got the advanced grumbling syllabus to come.

johndoh
    Free Member

Welcome. You have to queue now.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Well done….let us buy you a warm beer…

chewkw
    Free Member

I remember the ceremony where I wore jeans thinking that it was just normal swearing of allegiance to Queen … errmm … Britain. Was thinking I was supposed to shout something like Long live the Queen etc … Got there then saw everyone was formal suit etc with family members taking photos etc. Talking about overdress me. I went over during my lunch break and was in a hurry. Took a pic with the mayor to receive the certificate then went back to my zombie maggot life working … :mrgreen:

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Do you get to vote in the EU elections now?

maxtorque

It’s gonna take you a lot longer than 11 years to get back out again…..

(best start on that escape tunnel right away 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

Do you get to vote in the EU elections now?

Yes, everything …

If a person comes from the Commonwealth nation (think it’s after a year) s/he get to vote automatically in British election anyway without being a citizen. 🙄 Not sure about EU voting though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I, [name], [swear by Almighty God] [do solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare] that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs, and successors, according to people.

I would not swear to that

Drac

So now you’re AngloSaxonRider. 😀

racefaceec90

junkyard neither would i.

d45yth
    Free Member

The country you’re from must be bad…every sane resident of this one would leave given half a chance!

sbob
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

You think we’d let you back in?

😛

tinybits
    Free Member

That’s ok, you swore that by default you royalist.

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

I, [name], [swear by Almighty God] [do solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare] that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs, and successors, according to people.

I don’t mind as swearing allegiance to the Queen or future King but not their brothers/sisters etc, ONLY to the Queen and future Kings. It is the least I can do to show my respect to a nation that welcome me and to demonstrate that I mean no harm.

Actually, no matter which Kingdom I go to I shall bow to the King/Queen of that nation, if they have one, even if it is the Kingdom of my enemy as a sign of respect.

Royalist or not … it is the Head of the country that I showed my respect to and to the nation s/he governs. If there is no King/Queen then it would be the President or the head of state or in a remote village it would be the headman/woman. Even if the King/Queen no longer posses the power s/he once had, I will still pay my respect.

:mrgreen:

Stoner
    Free Member

Since Ive decreed it’s “One in, One out”, you get to pick who goes Saxonrider 😉

poly
    Free Member

The country you’re from must be bad…every sane resident of this one would leave given half a chance!

Every resident in this country is totally free (a full chance you might say) to go to any of the other 27 EU member states and a number of other countries in the European Economic Area. Moreover they have at least “half a chance” of moving to a whole different continent – maybe its not so bad here after all if 60 million people can’t be bothered to take their chance!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Since Ive decreed it’s “One in, One out”, you get to pick who goes Saxonrider

Pick me pick me

WillH

My wife and I moved to New Zealand a while back. As we’ve been here more than five years we are eligible to become citizens. As NZ is part of the Commonwealth this involves a ceremony where we have to swear allegiance to Her Majesty. This seems a bit weird to me, as we’re already British citizens. Our son, who was born in NZ, has dual citizenship by default and won’t have to swear allegiance to the queen at all. Very odd.

SaxonRider

@chewkw, I’m from Canada originally. I’ve actually been voting in all elections since I first arrived. At least I think I have.

@Stoner, if I have to pick from STW, then I shall watch and see who is worst behaved over the coming few days. A few years ago, and I would have said MrWoppit, hands down. But I’ve kind of grown to, well… accept him.

If you mean I get to pick from the wider British public, then it is a toss-up between Matthew Parris and John Pilger.

SaxonRider

@Junkyard, there is also an ‘Affirmation’ as opposed to a swearing. It omits ‘Almighty God’, and requires the new citizen to affirm that they accept what it is to be British, and will live in accordance with the British tradition of tolerance and mutual respect. Or something like that.

Today, about half of us swore the oath, and the other half did the affirmation.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Commonwealth citizens get to vote.

Did you get to choose a nominal nationality? English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish?

chewkw
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member

Did you get to choose a nominal nationality? English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish?

No. Just British but I would choose GeordieLand if given the choice. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

You think we’d let you back in?

Prisoner exchange 😉

Cheers for info Saxon apparently it is [ I assume the omit god as they are tolerant of other religions but not republicans ]

I, A.B. [full name], of , do solemnly and sincerely
    affirm that on becoming a I will be faithful and
    bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second,
    Her Heirs and Successors, according to law

I am a member of republic so i must be on a list of potential traitors then 😉
    I object to both the god and monarch bit – on balance i would rather swear to the pretend thing that the unfair thing.

How odd you have to swear to the Queen – and they say the role is just symbolic eh

SaxonRider

We were sworn in in Cardiff, so having sung the Welsh National Anthem to start with, and having been welcomed in Welsh by the Lord Mayor, I suspect that the nominal nationality was a given for us.

Other than Wales, though, I would also choose GeordieLand. I love it up there.

Where are you from originally chewkw?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mad isn’t it, Saxon Rider comes here from Canada (Lord knows why) & I travelled with a Geordie to Canada who owned a couple of bars in Grand Prairie, he said he doesn’t mind coming back once in a while but couldn’t wait to get back to Canada!

molgrips
    Free Member

How odd you have to swear to the Queen – and they say the role is just symbolic eh

Of course it’s a symbolic role, this is a symbolic ceremony.

PS not all of Canada is cool outdoor towns in the mountains.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Brilliant molgrips brilliant- I really did laugh out loud at that 😆

Please dont mistake this as a desire to debate this

chewkw
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member
    Where are you from originally chewkw?

Pirate infested, militia invaded, illegal immigrants taking over, religious intolerant, nice head hunting people region of North Borneo.

I would prefer Canada with vast land mass and less bureaucracy then here but somehow my education brought me here many years ago … got sucked in by the bloody Brits education propaganda and their institutions. Damn! I the fool!

:mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

Vast land mass is all well and good when there’s stuff in it.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Vast land mass is all well and good when there’s stuff in it.

I could have a moose farm? No? :mrgreen:

Oh ya think it’s bloody cold in some areas too.

maccruiskeen

@Junkyard, there is also an ‘Affirmation’ as opposed to a swearing. It omits ‘Almighty God’, and requires the new citizen to affirm that they accept what it is to be British, and will live in accordance with the British tradition of tolerance and mutual respect. Or something like that.

an alternative to either of those is to just get a Boots Advantage Card – think of it as a sort of ‘citizenship lite’ but with the bonus of earning points.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘I swore today’ is closed to new replies.