Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • I still can't get car insurance.
  • Joe

21, been driving four years but never had my own policy and STILL am looking at £1500 third party only for a hunk of junk 1 litre car, no crashes, 3 points in Manchester.

It's utter **** chaos. So pissed off.

steve-g
    Free Member

21, 3 points, Manchester

Sounds reasonable 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you never take the leap youll never get your own insurance cheap…

first year on my own policy at 21(driving parents cars for 3 years) was 1200 quid on a 1.6 undesirable car (1 litre car likely chosen by kids and thus crashed)

second year 285 …..

you will always be a high premium as an unknown risk !

ton

my son is 18, 1 crash.
    he had a car last year when he 1st passed..£2000 fully comp
    just got a raise at work, so he has been looking round again.
    cheapest he has found is………….£2400 3rd party.

flyingmonkeycorps

1L doesn't necessarily equate to cheap, I'm sure it can range something ridiculous like group 1 to group 7…

Del

i had to pay 800 quid on a rover 216 at 18, nearly, err, 20 years ago. 😳
    you've been done for speeding. stump up.

spooky_b329

Another vote to widen your range of cars to undesirable hatchbacks etc, everyone gets hooked up on engine size. My first car was a 1.9TD, it was only 0.3 seconds off what was considered a hot hatch at the time 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

Bizarrely the quote for our car was £425 just for me… and £385 if I added Mr Toast as a named driver. Even though he hasn't started driving lessons yet. :/

Joe

But I put about 15,000 miles a year on motorcycles, company vehicles…theres nothing to compensate me.

Might aswell hire a car every time i need one. 35 days continuous usage with easy car pretty much. Probably more than i'd ever drive a car. Absurd.

Taff
    Free Member

For me to drive a fiesta it was £2k and that was a 1 litre. I got a 306 1.9TD and went with Tesco for £1k. Then went to ecarinsurance the following year and paid £500.

Don't use the go compare stuff they are rubbish. Go straight to the insurance compnay, get an online quote then ring them up and play each other off for more discounts.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

3 points, no personal driving record. There's your problem

Anna-B
    Free Member

I guess you've used price comparison websites? I just saved £100 from renewal quote by doing this, and with 6 points also. Think I used money supermarket – worth a go if you haven't.

Just read Taff's comment – oh well ask 2 people get 2 different answers!

epicyclo

Insurance companies are very wise. They understand the habits of the young male driver. 🙂

I had wrecked 2 cars by the time I was 19.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

3 points is nowt really.
    How long have you been driving company vehicles claim free?
    Some insurance companies will give you a no claims discount based upon that. Ring around and see

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Just do what I did – went on my parents insurace for 5
    years, then got a company car.

If I need to get my own insurace now I can just get my company insurace to say I've been driving so many years without a claim etc

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends a lot on what the 3 points are for really?
    Sadly until you insure in your own name you have no "history" and therefore are assumed to be a liability until you can prove otherwise. i.e. by driving safely and accruing no convictions!

Drac

Was paying that I the early 90s thanks to the joyrider craze then and NE postcodes having the highest because of meadow well estate. Google it for those that are can't remember.

So 20 years on and it's the same seems ok to me. It does start to drop quick and the 3 points won't make any difference.

Use price comparrison sites then ring the cheapests ones direct and you'll get more iff as then there's no commison plus blagying rights help.

ziggy
    Free Member

I'd suggest not going on your parents insurance, it's fraud, it also gives the insurance company to perfect excuse not to pay out on a claim, known as 'fronting'.

The fact is an 18 yr old is TEN times more likely to have an accident than someone who is over 35 and the average cost of the claim is much higher. Just part of being young 😆

Drac

There's a rumour to do the opposite to add a parent to yours helps. No idea if that's right or not.

MrGreedy

Don't assume 3rd party will be cheaper than comprehensive, it sounds counter-intuitive, but in many cases it's actually more expensive. The Money Saving Expert guide (link) has always helped me get the cost down – e.g. this year's renewal quote was £640, using the guide I managed to get the same cover for £205 (27, 1.6 Zafira, 3yrs NCD).

Edric64
    Free Member

My stepson took the plunge at 17 and his insurance was a grand on a 1.2 Clio now at 22 he pays 300 quid fully comp on a new 207.You just need to take the plunge and get insured it soon comes down

jackthedog
    Free Member

deleted, ignore.

DT78
    Free Member

IG6 (206 1.6) first insured under my own name at 24, cost me £1.1k

Tips to reduce insurance. Add your mum as a named driver, reduce you mileage (if you can), only get SD&P.

First (and only) crash I've had was in that first year too. Afraid the stats show it's far more likely (because of people like me) so you get clobbered in your first year's premium

Flaperon

The insurance companies have put the prices up this year. I'm 24 and last year's insurance was £380. This year, despite much shopping around, it's £485. Some companies returned quotes in the region of £4000. While I hate uninsured drivers, it's sorta obvious why there are so many.

muddy@rseguy

Ditto the advice about 3rd party being a waste of money, on a cheap car you are rated as high risk regardless but the additional cost of going fully comp is either nowt or negligable and you feel a right twonk if you have a no fault accident that trashes your car and you have to pay out for another one yourself.

State a low yearly milage (sub 8k, 6 if you can) Another possible idea is to go through someone like the AA or RAC and get the cheapest roadside assistance too (they give you a discount on your insurance if you do this).

The only other thing to remember is that you're 21 and you have points on your licence so insurance will be high until you have a few years no claims under your belt and your points are taken off. Until then, grit your teeth, drive something slow and group3 insurance or lower, pay the money and most importantly dont crash or get nicked by the police.

2cvs are actually pretty cool as first cars… 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

2cvs are actually pretty cool as first cars.

They cost loads now!I was looking for one as a fun summer car but gave up because of the prices when I managed to find one

andrewh
    Free Member

My first was £600.
    1.6 litre Proton Persona, actually a nice car (relatively, was only £200)
    23, 3 points, no crashes.

Would recomend non-turbo 1.9 litre 306 diesel. Group 4 and plenty big enough to carry a bike. My second car, as above at 24, £300 to insure.

Edric64
    Free Member

Citroen Xsara non turbo Diesel Estate takes a bike and is cheap to insure and cost 500 quid .Also it's gutless so would suit a new driver

hora
    Free Member

Joe I'd say bite the bullet, buy the policy and drive carefully whilst you build your insurance profile.

Its crackers now- my insurance went UP even though I have no points, 5yrs NCD, parked on drive etc etc. I think its all the rear-ending scams and people who drive in snow/ice when they should have left the car at home this winter…etc that don't help nevermind your own particular risk profile.

DT78
    Free Member

Mate works in car insurance. Apparently the 'base rate' that all insurers start with has gone up this year.

My policy went up as well, despite being another year of NCB…

hora
    Free Member

Don't be tempted to drive without insurance- you'll screw your profile for years for one moment of madness/caught once.

matt_outandabout

*sits smugly at 35 with full NCD, no points and a sub £100 premium*

technicallyinept
    Free Member

How did you manage that? I'm over 35, 10 year old undesirable smallish car, no points ever and full no claims – still nearly £400

andrewh
    Free Member

Postcode makes a huge difference.

As above, me 23, licence for 2 years, 3 points for jumping red light. 1.6 litre Proton as my first car, and so my first policy. £600ish per year.

My friend, 25, clean licence 5 years, 2 years NCD, 1 litre Fiesta, £1,200 per year.

Both cars worth about the same (ie. naff all). I lived in rural Lincolnshire, he in Battersea.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Just think, if you'd taken out insurance 3 years ago, you'd have 50% ncd.

So it would only be £750.

And given that kids usually have friends in the car when they crash, showing off, and every streetwise urchin knows they sustained "personal injury", a low speed parking knock, into another vehicle can easilly top £20k now with 3 passengers and a bit of third party damage.

Blame solicitors for appleaing to peoples greed to line their pockets, and the short sighted medical experts who choose not to write honest medical reports, before you blame insurers.

Accident solicitors, generally, are scum of the lowest order. And for the inevitable pipsqueak who tells you about his client who would never walk again, who got £500k, theres thousands of "whiplash" victims, who don't have anything wrong with them except greed, to whom these solcitors "pander".

br
    Free Member

I paid about £300 in 1983 for my first car, which was more than a months take home – so £1500 seems almost reasonable.

Especially as we are now in a claims-culture, and any accident will have a far greater cost.

Such as the one my wife is 'fighting'. She ran into the back of a Transit, while in a queue, doing no damage to her car. Current claim from 3rd party is £1600 damage, £1600 hire vehicle and £6000+ injury by the (strapping Eastern European male builder) passenger…

hora
    Free Member

I lived in rural Lincolnshire, he in Battersea

More than car crime, I bet theres a higher risk of low-speed collisions in the urban streets of London…

matt_outandabout

How did you manage that?

Living in the Highlands helps.

Taff
    Free Member

Jesus Matt, the only other person I know with under a £100 premium is my Dad nad he's not made a claim in 15 years! Touch wood, don;t want to jinx it….

woody74

Stick your mum on as a named driver and it will bring the price down. Worked for me back in the day

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I still can't get car insurance.’ is closed to new replies.