Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • i-spec – a solution for a non-existent problem
  • martinhutch

New bike has i-spec shifter/brake combo. So now I’ve had the spectacle of my LH shifter bouncing alongside my fork halfway down a descent on two separate occasions, despite using loctite on the bolt and tightening as much as I dare.

Is this just user error on my part, or is there anything else I can do to keep them together?

Can’t say I used to mind two separate clamps on my bars, and always put the dropper clamp outboard of the shifter/brake clamp anyhow. So what’s the actual point of i-spec stuff?

JoB
    Free Member

i think it’s quite a neat solution, maybe that’s because mine hasn’t come apart

jam-bo

I agree.

rs
    Free Member

had a two clamp issue with sram stuff last year, new bike with guide brakes and reverb on the same clamp, problem is, where I like my brake levers, so that I just need one finger, I can’t reach the reverb lever without moving my grip inward an inch, so back to two clamps. Dunno why i’m telling you this…

STATO
    Free Member

Have you used the right bolt? Mine was stepped, in that the thread had a gap in it, so if it was loose it would rattle around long before it would actually undo the second portion of the bolt. There are different versions though so maybe be some difference.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

You’re doing it wrong. It is great.

martinhutch

Have you used the right bolt? Mine was stepped, in that the thread had a gap in it,

There are two bolts – the one you mention holds in the little threaded sleeve that the main bolt goes into. It’s the main bolt which is coming loose despite loctite and enthusiastic tightening.

Just a grumpy semi-rant because it doesn’t really do much for my setup except look a bit neater. 😥

And obviously the bolts are long gone because they tend to finally fly out halfway down a rocky descent. Be nice if they were retained in the shifter by a washer rather than just loose.

STATO
    Free Member

There are two bolts – the one you mention holds in the little threaded sleeve that the main bolt goes into. It’s the main bolt which is coming loose despite loctite and enthusiastic tightening.

The ‘bolt(small)’ is not the one i mean. The main bolt (silver in pic below) has a gap in the thread, this is there seemingly to stop it dropping off if it comes undone. As you install the first threaded part passes through the nut and the bolt will rattle about but not fall out. Then the shifter is clamped tight with the second part of the thread.

Ive never heard any issues with any ispec so amazed yours is falling off more than once.

legend
    Free Member

ust a grumpy semi-rant because it doesn’t really do much for my setup except look a bit neater.

it ensures there is no compromise on where you can put your shifter after putting your brake exactly where you want it – its a good thing.

Also never heard of anyone else having a problem. It’s a static part so shouldn’t be rattling loose

martinhutch

Hmmm. Curious. Will have to have a gander at the one that’s still attached.

mark90
    Free Member

I lost the stepped silver bolt from my LH shifter coming down the Beast in the Peak(s). Had the shifter swinging about by the forks. Replaced with a disc rotor bolt and been fine ever since. Keep a few spare rotor bolts in my ride bag.

I can certainly see the point of it, it’s just annoying that they have now ‘upgraded’ to I-spec II and all the incompatibility issues that go with that.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

it’s just annoying that they have now ‘upgraded’ to I-spec B

Get with the program, iSpec B is old news as well. It is iSpec II now! 😆

martinhutch

Yep, I noticed that rotor bolts would do as a stopgap. Can’t see anywhere that sells individual replacement bolts though, which is a nuisance as I now need two!

scotroutes

Get with the program, iSpec B is old news as well. It is iSpec II now! [/quote]
    And the good news is that there’s no wee bolt to lose/come loose 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Get with the program, iSpec B is old news as well. It is iSpec II now!

Damn, you got in before my sneaky edit.

I-spec II is what I meant. The bar clamp one.

Trying to get a set of I-spec B brakes to work with an I-Spec II shifter while my I-Spec II brakes away for warranty. What a bloody faff. There’s a lot ot be said for one standard, but the bike industry is well beyond that.

taxi25
    Free Member

It it a neat solution if it works for your hands. I like my brakes outboard a fair bit and the shifters in quite a bit so they don’t rub on my Thumb. Seperate clamps for me.

mark90
    Free Member

Yep, I noticed that rotor bolts would do as a stopgap. Can’t see anywhere that sells individual replacement bolts though, which is a nuisance as I now need two!

My stop gap rotor bolt is lasting longer than the original stepped bolt. I see no reason to change, especially as the step didn’t do it’s job, well not long enough for me to notice during the descent.

taxi25
    Free Member

It it a neat solution if it works for your hands. I like my brakes outboard a fair bit and the shifters in quite a bit so they don’t rub on my Thumb. Seperate clamps for me.

martinhutch

My proposed new standard should solve all these problems.

legend
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

My proposed new standard should solve all these problems

I-spec II B isn’t due until 2018.5

boggie62
    Free Member

SJS Cycles usually have i-spec bolt kits

martinhutch

Am I right in thinking that a b-spec shifter mounted on a b-spec brake lever would only need three out of the four bits shown here?

The bit I don’t recognise from my kit is the silver ‘nut’ bottom left.

mark90
    Free Member

Yes it’s an either/or situation, depending on the brake lever / shift combo with mixing matching I-Spec A and B

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘i-spec – a solution for a non-existent problem’ is closed to new replies.