Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I should be dead – bastard motorist nearly killed me!
  • Airwolf
    Free Member

I've just had a really near miss on my bike – crikey i should be dead really!

I should be in bed too actually but i'm wired from the adrenaline and i feel like i should tell someone (girlfriend asleep).

On my way home from playing five a side (we lost btw), and this madman cuts across and shoots past me (definitely speeding at about 35-40mph) as i'm casually riding home doing nothing wrong at all, missing me by inches.

So incensed by the feeling that this stupid person has recklessly nearly killed me i put the hammer down and catch him up as he has stopped behind a bus.

Unfortunately at this point i've lost my mind and i pull alongside and get the guy to open his window mostly by going berserk at him.

He then accuses me in his defence, of not having got any lights, at which point incredulous, and demonstrating the i do indeed have 2 rear lights, i kick his car (a nice shiny silver Merc) but unfortunately no way near as hard as i'd of liked and go to ride off.

However this guy jumps out and walks up to me. He puts his face right in my face and starts saying nasty stuff (can't remember what he said now), before he kicks my bike and goes to walk back to the car.

Anyway i lose it. My arm lashes out and i catch him on the arm with the back of my hand as he retreats back to the car. I begin to ride off now, trying to kick his car as i go again (another pretty poor attempt actually) as he jumps back in the driver seat.

He then chased me up the road and we exchanged insults for a while. He drove off and i thought it best to stop and calm down a little – i'm not normally like this, honest!

Anyway i suppose what i am most surprised by is my reaction to his behaviour. I was absolutely livid. I had almost seen my life flash before my eyes (you know those moments), but i am mostly glad now that when the guy got out of his car he didn't put me in hospital or something, as he obviously was about as much of a hard man as me.

Should go to bed now.

kimbers

have a herbal tea and go to bed

Toddboy
    Free Member

Reporting his registration number to the police would be better than a girly slap on the blokes arm 😆

langy
    Free Member

No excuse for his crap driving, but… Unfortunately, as you kicked his door and 'hit' him, reporting it could lead to you being charged with crim damage and assault or whatever the legal versions are in this case.

Better calm down and leave it there, hope he does the same.

Similar situation this week, 3 guys in a car, stupid close, so I lifted my hand to give the finger, but noticed in time there were 3 guys in the car – stopped myself flipping them off. They stopped up ahead to wait for me anyway – great!

However, I kept at the same pace, noted the car type and rego in case they tried anything. As i come alongside, the window is down, blah blah blah, I keep riding and ask if they "had enough room there?" but keep riding, no swearing, no touchng the car or anything. Obviously thought they'd made their point and drove off up the road (erratically too).

Got home, called the Old Bill and reported it – be interesting to know if he thinks he is quite as smart when they knock on his door and serve him his warning; being down under our rules are a little different in licensing terms, so another transgression and he'll lose his license as he is a driver with less than 2 years experience (aka "P plater" for the P plate that has to be displayed when driving).

End result = I win for the sake of a phone call and staying calm.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Airwolf, I really sympathise with you. There are some real idiots about. But… if it were a Smart and you punched it on the bodywork it could crack and slice your hand if no gloves worn (don't ask how I know, I always wear gloves). You're surely asleep by now, good on you. Next time, whenever such an incident happens, stay calm, don't touch the car as it might be unwashed, take a snap of the driver with yur phone, note the plates, report to the Police. Don't go verbal, you might lose your calm and call him something too difficult to understand, e.g. pillock, imbecile or even brainless pile of manure. Instead, if the window is down, inform the driver that his way of trying to get a BJ from you won't work as you have already used a toothpick this morning/afternoon/evening*.
    Another option would be to grow 6'10" tall, 22 stone of muscle rugby player. Or a powerlifter. Or a boxer. Then, you will NOT be bothered by half-an-inch-long-willied drivers.
    (* delete as appropriate)

BlingBling
    Free Member

joo suck at teh futbol

Kit
    Free Member

Should have nutted him 😉

samuri
    Free Member

yep, sounds like so many altercations I've had in the past. You come away just feeling angry and frustrated which is one of the reasons I stopped doing it. I still get angry but have tried talking to people calmly now which I hope helps them understand what they're doing wrong.

At the end of the day they'll still be a cock who can't drive and I'll be right which makes me feel a lot happier.

crazy-legs

On a commute it's just not worth getting into an argument cos you see the same people at the same times – even on a city commute I recognise easily 1 in 10 cars, even know where quite a few people come in from or turn off to so it's not going to be difficult to find you again.

I try and work out various escape routes along my commute as well, there's several alleyways, one way streets, canal towpaths etc that I can nip down but equally there's long stretches of my ride where I have no options other than relying on heavy traffic/traffic lights so it's just not worth risking anything.

luked2
    Free Member

yep, sounds like so many altercations I've had in the past. You come away just feeling angry and frustrated which is one of the reasons I stopped doing it

+1

Being right doesn't stop you being assaulted, as I found out a long time ago. The police were only too happy to get involved as they knew the chap, but even so, it's just not worth it.

Treat motorists in the same way you would treat any other large unpredictable animal. If a deer ran out in front of you in the forest, you wouldn't rush after it and try to remonstrate with it.

legend76
    Free Member

i've come to the opinion that to just let it go over your head is the best way.
    i drive for a living and on saturday whilst driving thru a car park a lady reversed out of her bay straight into the side of me, i kept cool got her details(even tho she blamed me)and went on my way.
    ten minutes later man on mtnbike appears from behind a van and crosses straight in front of me without so much of a glance,i went home for the day as i thought the world was out to get me 😯

Airwolf
    Free Member

Thanks for the (mostly) good advice guys. I think i was lucky in more ways than one last night. I'll try and remain calm next time someone almost kills me!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Anything that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger 🙂 You should thank the Merc driver, he's reminded you of your own mortality and hence given you reason to enjoy life to the full…

Airwolf
    Free Member

Now why didn't i think to do that at the time i wonder!

tonyg2003

A mate of mine. Generally the most laid back person I know was riding home when a van came past and someone in the passenger seat reached out and slapped him, extremely hard on the arse/leg. He caught up with them at the next set of light and asked them why they had done it. They fell about laughing. So he reached down pick up a rock and put in their windscreen. He's still not even sure why he did it and we still wind him up about it. The point is though even the most laid back of us can lose it. Don't worry, it's call the fight or flight response and you can sort of tell from the story which side of the fence your response went!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i nearly got taken out by a cyclist yesterday, travelling at speed past my house (i live in the sticks, on a steep hill, with no pavement) who had obviously decided it was a good idea to shoot said hill with no braking and ride at speed past someone (i.e. me) who was stood on the side of the road with their back to him giving all of 2ft clearance.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry, but don't see how legend76's experience is related. Being in your car is rather less dangerous than naked* on a bike! And therefore is less likely to send you flying off the hook a la the OP

(*obviously not without clothes, but not surround by steel)

5thElefant
    Free Member

You need to learn to relax, or get the bus. Or punch harder.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Don't go reporting him or he'll have you done for criminal damage.

FFS calm down, how did you know he wasn't some kind of **** mentalist who would've kicked your over agrivated arse into next week and left you at the side of the road.

The key to this is he "nearly" hit you, no actuall harm done until you lost your rag and possibly put yourself in line for a right good kicking.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

so we all get home, sigh and say "made it through another commute without being killed!?!"

come on guys, contact your council to see if they have a cycle forum or check out a campaign group and be part of the change you want to see!!

tang
    Free Member

the dangers of 5 a side.

steve_b77
    Free Member

PaulBecks -> not in the slightest, however chasing down a motorist and initiating a violent reaction is NOT the way to deal with such things.

Since when has something nearly happening been sufficient to evoke a reaction that could lead to criminal prosecution?

I'm sure the local council will recommend that you shoudl waer reflective clothing, rear lights (am I correct in thinking flashing lights are illegal?) and keep your whits about you.

Sounds about even to me.

This morning I got over some lights on amber. They were the sort with no delay before the other set change. So this t**t who could see me coming starts accelerating hard so he could brake and sound the horn at the same time.

A quick exchange of single digit salutes before I disappeared down a cycle track and I was well chuffed. He had already stopped presumably to take things further.

Years ago I had someone deliberately pass me by inches doing nearly a ton. It was a country lane, dead straight, wide and with nobody else around.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

I'm not condoning chasing motorists down or retaliating in any way.

As a council cycling officer myself i lead a very proactive cycle forum from where we as cyclists can instigate change.

Who's to know of your near misses, why should we have to put up with these attitudes whilst sharing the highway!?!

Flashing rear lights are legal, as for whatever else you wear, that's up to you and your decision on how much you value your own personal safety.

Your passion, have a voice!

racemonkey

Steve_b77

While I agree that violence usually leads to more violence we often do things out of character when we feel threatened.

And why should we have to wear reflective clothing just because some **** doesn't look at what's around him / her when they're in charge of a car, they don't wear a hat saying "shit driver" so we know to take extra care around them.

Oh and as far as I'm aware plod are quite happy for cyclists to have flashing rear lights (illegal or not) as they tend to catch other road users attention more so than a static light.

simondbarnes

gavtheoldskater – Member

i nearly got taken out by a cyclist yesterday, travelling at speed past my house (i live in the sticks, on a steep hill, with no pavement) who had obviously decided it was a good idea to shoot said hill with no braking and ride at speed past someone (i.e. me) who was stood on the side of the road with their back to him giving all of 2ft clearance.

2ft? how much bloody clearance do you need? That's plenty for a car passing at 60mph

cpon
    Free Member

Flashings lights are not illegal but are recommended to be used alongside a constant beam.

legend76
    Free Member

dezb i mean from a driving point of view cyclists do stupid things too, don,t you think i would be affected if i'd killed the biker.
    what i mean to say is not to get violent because as soon as you do you've lost!

BoardinBob

edit

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Fight or flight adrenaline reaction is hard to over-ride

Glad you're safe

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I should be dead – bastard motorist nearly killed me!’ is closed to new replies.