Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I saw a recumbent today … not the usual type
  • cinnamon_girl

I have seen this chap before but this time he was off road. The recumbent sat higher up due to larger wheels but I couldn’t help feeling that it could be unstable.

Just curious – anyone know about these?

Thanks. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Beard ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oi! Less of that! She’s a lady!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Was it a 29 er and SS?

cinnamon_girl

Lol, Mr Pies was my stalker for a while cos he knew where I lived. 😯

Cap’n – some would argue with that. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gender, not behaviour! 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

This is true 🙂

cinnamon_girl

😀

I dunno, two niche whores on Salisbury Plain. 🙄 Was riding my ss that’s covered in red sandstone and I look a fright anyway. Even managed to scare a dog. 😆

Thing is, something different like that guarantees that I’ll call ‘hello’ and flash a smile. The same as tandems too.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t want to sound all leftie handwringer, but could it be someone with a disability..?
    There’s a well known chap in Devon that rides a fair bit of XC and downhill on his recumbant contraption

cinnamon_girl

yunki – yes I wondered that but this was Salisbury Plain. Not flat, pretty gravelly in places and not the sort of place that you would want to be stranded in. It’s pretty lonely out there!

yunki
    Free Member

Not flat, pretty gravelly in places

sounds scary.. 😉

stufield
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Blimey, actually blimey to both! Gotta take my hat off to them.

Keef
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    I don’t want to sound all leftie handwringer, but could it be someone with a disability..?

ah,you mean a Singlespeeder…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Esme
    Free Member

Pashley PDQ?

acehtn
    Free Member

Yunki, thats Chris Jones, he races at Gawton and Tavistock woods when he is able to.
    Top fella, bit of a surfer too, also in the process of developing a XC and DH hand cranked trikes.

The photo appears to be Tavistock woods, he is most looking forward to running larger wheels, over the 20″ wheeled rigid trike he is running now, he also knocked out a charity 26mile run over Dartmoor last year on it as well.

Was Lynx now changed to Merici ( i think, maybe spelt that wrong) oh and in that photo he is using the single brake (Magura HS33)as he has to take a hand off the crank/steering to grab the lever, also note below his left hand braking, is the gear shifter for the right hand.

This is not one of his bikes, he bought it, decided he could do better and has set about designing and doing his own thing, but the rigid steel framed 20″ is pretty Niche, he dosen’t have a beard 🙂

PhilO
    Free Member

A pdq has 20″ wheels, so unlikely to be that. Dual 26″ or 700c wheels aren’t that uncommon; it’s a design often called a ‘high racer’. My own ‘bent would fit the description, and would be quite rideable on easy terrain (tracks, blue grade trail centres, maybe).

Something along the lines of an Optima Orca:

TiRed

Haluzak were the original off-road recumbents. Thiink the front wheel was 20″ with FS. Not made any more and probably too rare to be over in the UK.

somafunk

Where’s Ben when you need him?, he’s the stw expert on these machines.

bencooper
    Free Member

Hello 😉

It does sound like a high racer – there are quite a few from Optima, Metabikes etc which have twin 26″ or 700c/29″ wheels. They do look a bit precarious, but actually because of the high centre-of-gravity they’re more stable than low racers.

I got one in MBUK long ago:

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I saw a recumbent today … not the usual type’ is closed to new replies.