Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I saw a Grizzly
  • rone

So on a biking trip in the US, and nipping through Grand Teton N.P we came upon a Big momma and two cubs minding their own business about 300m away.

I’m not a bucket list person and a bit nervous of the bears but it was great to see them.

I’m not a fan of the US parks in general as their rules and regs get silly but we’re in Jackson doing a bit of biking so wanted to ride up there.

Moab was great, I can really recommend the Gonzo Inn.

Jackson is okay for biking but maybe not worth the journey for some.

IHN

I can’t see the pics, but I am very jealous.

rone

Bummer. Spent ages finding a image solution.

mogrim

I can see them! That area of the US is spectacular, maybe not for biking but for visiting…

13thfloormonk

I can see pics!

Jealous also, spent two years in B.C. and only got occasional glimpses of bears in fairly benign locations, no proper ‘wild’ experience.

I’m not a fan of the US parks in general as their rules and regs get silly but we’re in Jackson doing a bit of biking so wanted to ride up there.

I know what you mean, but I think the way a lot of beauty spots are going in Scotland, we could do with some additional rules and regs! If nothing else maybe some form of permitting which could be used to fund some facilities such as bins, litter collections etc.

enfht
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/XlAZys_ZMic[/video]

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Saw one in the distance on the Dempster and then on the way back a sow and her cubs by the road in the Yukon.

Magnificent sight to behold.

Just hope we don’t run into any this time in BC

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I rode between a mum and cub in Montana, at first I thought I’d passed an Alsatian dog, slowed down to look back and realised it was a cub and her mum was eating blueberries on the other side of the trail. I haven’t cycled so fast ever, thankfully it was smooth downhill.

Montana biking is lovely, as is moab, Gunnison, fruita, and salida. The tetons take good pics but youre right the wilderness rules are odd, you can take a gun but not a bike. huh.

rone

I get why they do it. But for instance it says dogs only allowed where cars are. Not even on the surfaced bike trails.

And yet it says dogs put bears off!

Not that I’ve got a dog.

And there’s a bloody airport over Jackson. So many contradictions.

rone

I haven’t cycled so fast ever, thankfully it was smooth downhill

Yeah I think the rule of don’t run / cycle off is a bit hard to stick to.

We were told 35mph.

stuey
    Free Member

35mph – <Bear Strava!>

MoreCashThanDash

Spent our honeymoon in British Columbia looking for bears.

Saw lots!

Drac

Spent our honeymoon in British Columbia looking for bears.

Saw lots!

Out of control Grizzly? You want Councilof10’s thread.

bubs

Brilliant – very jealous.

I don’t think I would be comfortable this close however.

Wild Alaska

irc

I don’t think I would be comfortable this close however

This!

I saw one cycling over the pass going east from Jackson/Yellowstone. At least 400yds away. Close enough for me when on a bike.

MrPottatoHead

This was my grizzly encounter about 5 years ago to the day. Taken from a boat about 200yards away at Knight Inlet.

Bella the bear

sweaman2
    Free Member

And yet it says dogs put bears off!

The problem with off leash dogs is if they end up the other side of the bear. Then it’s highly likely the bear will run towards you.

themilo
    Free Member

irc – Member
    I don’t think I would be comfortable this close however
    This!

I saw one cycling over the pass going east from Jackson/Yellowstone. At least 400yds away. Close enough for me when on a bike.

Smarter than your average bear…………..

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Come close to plenty of brown bears, even chased one out of our complex a couple of years back. But never seen a grizzly in the flesh, not many of them in this part of BC, though there were a couple of confirmed sightings of one in the Callagahan valley, just south of Whistler village.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Whistler brown bears are bigger then Rockies grizzly’s though 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

Came upon one in downtown mammoth as I was walking along at dusk.

Was about 100m out and the wife started saying stop stop stop….looked up the road and there was a bear rooting about in the dirt.

Looked at us then ran off across the road.

Was a little surreal

I’m hoping not to see any on next week’s cycle tour of northern BC

MoreCashThanDash

I saw one cycling over the pass going east

The bear was cycling? Who did he think he was?

MrPotatohead – we had 3 days at Knight Inlet on our honeymoon trip. Amazing place. Amazing cookies….

pondo

If I saw an actual bear in the actual wild, I think, rather than taking pictures, I would shit myself to actual death. Chapeau!

molgrips
    Free Member

Driving through Yellowstone there are regular crowds of people taking photos of the wildlife and leaving their cars blocking the road. Fun for the first hour, then bloody annoying. However we were stopped by a bigger than usual crowd so we pulled over (responsibly) and it was indeed a brown bear. People getting ridiculously close to it to take photos. I stayed well back, and kept the engine running…

At least, I think it’s a brown bear.

welshfarmer

Alaska is the place to go to see them and other wildlife. Took a 4 week trip there with Mrsfarmer about 22 years ago. Spent most of the time hiking and camping and had close encounters with Brown bears, Black bears, Wolves, Lynx, Moose, Porcupine, Dall and Mountain sheep, reindeer, hares, beaver, red squirrel, sea otters and others I guess I have forgotten. I think the only one of the “big” animals we didn’t meet was a wolverine. There was wildlife everywhere as soon as you were prepared to walk more than a few miles away from the highways. Getting up for a pee in the middle of an arctic summer night and having a conversation with a wolf who was passing 10 feet from the tent is a memory that will never leave me. A truly amazing place. Unfortunately I have few pics in digital format as they were all slides back then.

Trekster

Spotted a few bears and Moose when on a trip to Saskatoon 😀
    The biggest danger however was the big black fly!!!!!!!! Everywhere we went we needed to carry a can of fly spray!!!!!!!!

nicko74

Saw one in the distance on the Dempster and then on the way back a sow and her cubs by the road in the Yukon.
    Magnificent sight to behold.
    Just hope we don’t run into any this time in BC

tuskaloosa, you did the Dempster? Awesome!

We saw 3 grizzlies and a porcupine while driving up to Inuvik and back. No caribou though (despite there being a herd of something like 100,000 round there).
    The thing that blew my mind was seeing solo cyclists slowly slogging up the hills in the rain, with the road turning to mud. I wondered how they’d hold off a bear…

rone

Off up to Yellowstone tomorrow.

Starting out early.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Nicko – best road trip of our lives… even though we flipped/ragged dolled the car 60Km outside Inuvik on the way back. Truly earned them-Dempster -stripes (tbh very lucked we survived that)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I saw a Grizzly’ is closed to new replies.