Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • I ruddy hate running….
  • nickc

don’t run any more.

Not surprised ! Ouch!

molgrips
    Free Member

Search for the recent thread where I posted about foot strike and how that might help.

aracer
    Free Member

To answer your question yes it does get easier and after a few years of training every day you will be able to run 10 miles in an hour very easily.

Hmm, I could manage 10 miles in an hour at one point, but I’m not sure I’d have described it as easy – maybe if you can do a 2.5 hour marathon…

mikey74
    Free Member

Whilst this no stretching thing might be true for seasoned runners i.e. those for whom it is their main activity, those who have spent a lot of their life cooped up on a bike will certainly need some conditioning before running properly. Not to mention going from a low impact sport to one of the highest impact ones.

The latter reason is why starting off running off-road is good advice. However, you will need to lengthen those hamstrings and calfs, and stretch those tendons, so to say “don’t stretch” is pretty dangerous.

Having said that, I am an advocate of dynamic warm-ups, that help stretch by their very nature, whilst still being relatively low-impact.

surfer
    Free Member

However, you will need to lengthen those hamstrings and calfs, and stretch those tendons, so to say “don’t stretch” is pretty dangerous.

You cant lengthen your hamstrings, unless you do it surgically. Tendons also dont “stretch” or lengthen through the act of “stretching”

Whilst this no stretching thing might be true for seasoned runners

Nope. You got there in the end though. Your warmup should be dynamic, start slowly then get quicker, also warming down is good. Go through the range of movement running requires, start off walking if you want. Stretching is a myth.

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, bad choice of words, but I stand-by the sentiment.

Stretching is a myth.

As someone who has gone through this, I disagree.

surfer
    Free Member

OK Mikey but what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

aracer
    Free Member

Aha anecdotal evidence!

mikey74
    Free Member

OK Mikey but what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

And therefore you can’t tell someone that it won’t work, or it won’t help them. They need to try and find out what works for themselves.

I certainly agree that dynamic warm-ups will help more than stretching.

DrP

Ok…so basically you’re saying donning a pair of shoes and sprinting 5k is going to hurt, if the last time I had the runs is after a dodgy tikka…
    Slow and steady…

(The real answer is f that… I’ll stick to cycling for another year then resurrect a similar thread…)

DrP

aracer
    Free Member

Donning a pair of shoes and sprinting 5k is going to hurt if you’re Paula Radcliffe. It’s just that she’s used to it and happy to go through that pain for the potential rewards – that and her running at your flat out sprint speed would be nothing more than a gentle jog which wouldn’t hurt for her 😉

surfer
    Free Member

If you are going to recommend that an activity will help then you shouldn’t do so without some knowledge of the subject. Trotting out the same rubbish is lazy and unhelpful. If anecdotal evidence based on a sample of 1 is good enough for you aracer then you will be too busy to run, undertaking an unlimited number of superstitious warm up routines. Good luck with that ?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I ruddy hate running….’ is closed to new replies.