Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • I ruddy hate running….
  • DrP

Does it get any easier?

I find that it’s not that I get ‘tired’ – it’s just that I HURT!

I thought I’d go for a short 4K jog yesterday morning as I had to pick up some bread…and the same ol same ol happened..thighs pounding as I run, then agony in the thighs 12 hours later, likely to last a few days..

I could get on a bike and ride and ride, and it wouldn’t HURT unless I pushed into the anaerobic zone, but a simple bimble sans bike and I’m hobbling and wincing when I crouch etc.

I’m not that fussed about running, but would like to get better at is. Is it just a case of ‘keep going’ and eventually my thighs will shake themselves off completely so there’s nothing there to hurt??!!

DrP

mikey74
    Free Member

Start with 1km and build up from there. Sounds like you are trying to do too much too soon.

Bregante

Try the couch to 5k programme. Just because you’re physically capable of running 3 or 4 miles straight off the bat doesn’t mean you should. Build it up slowly and let your muscles and joints get used to it.

I don’t particularly enjoy running but have tried to maintain a fairly regular regime of two or three runs a week over the last two or three years. I’ve just been given the all clear to start again after tearing my patellar tendon in January and I’m down to two miles of run / walk for now.

scaredypants

I did my first run for about 10 years last Thursday. Took care to keep a nice short stride so everything was smooth(er) and no big impacts for my old-man ankles & knees

Now I admit I’ve been out on the bike twice since but, **** me, my legs are sore

DrP

Ah, so my ‘cycle to running distance conversion theory’ is way off then?
    I would have thought 4K is a short distance, but it sounds like I’m blasting off too far, seeing as I’m a fit ‘non runner’.

Shall humbly start of slower and shorter 🙂

Ta

DrP

scruff9252

As others have said, do the couch to 5km stuff.

Also think about your foot strike – you may be slamming your foot into the ground too hard, causing muscular soreness. Try and aim for a quiet as possible foot strike with your forefoot hitting the ground, not your heel, first.

scaredypants

My “run” was about a mile, DrP

I’m dropping to 50 metres

in 2 minutes

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘To save having to run simply set off earlier and walk instead’

mikey74
    Free Member

Ah, so my ‘cycle to running distance conversion theory’ is way off then?

Yeah, it’s hard if you are bikey-fit: When I started running, I had all sorts of injury issues (mainly calf and tendons) because I could more than my muscles were used to.

The hardest thing is forcing yourself to stop when, from a cardio point-of-view, you feel fine. What I did was, rather than running a loop, run 1km out, and then walk the same distance back home: That way, you feel you’ve covered a bit of distance, but you also warm down properly.

fifeandy
    Free Member

As above, your cardio system is much stronger than your running muscles, need to start small and work up to it.

miketually
    Free Member

I found taking shorter strides at a higher cadence helped me to ‘get’ running.

I tried the sensible, slow start approach but never really got going. In the end I just went out and ran 5k, based on knowing a few relatively unfit people I knew doing Parkruns and being sure I should be able to run that distance if they could.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure if it’s been explicitly said, but the reply to your first sentence is yes it does get easier – once you’re used to running you won’t get pain like that from a shortish run.

ThePilot
    Free Member

It might not help with your current problems but, when you can, try running off road (unless you already do). It’s 100 times better. And there’s somewhere to go for a cr^p when the inevitable happens 😀

dudeofdoom

Great its not just me then who’s wondering how anyone manages to run…

Never really thought about the bikey-fit thing until it was mentioned an then it makes sense 🙂

Is there any reason to do riding an running ?

I was under the impression that riding wasn’t the greatest things for legs and doing some running as well wasn’t a bad thing.

jam-bo

Stretching. It’s all about stretching.

If I don’t spend ten minutes stretching after a run I’m bloody crippled the next day.

nickc

slow down at bit

mikey74
    Free Member

The problem with cycling is it actually isn’t very good for the whole body, leading to muscle imbalances and tight tendons.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I tend to find if I’m MTB fit it doesnt mean I’m road bike fit and again doesn’t mean I’m running fit. I like to vary through the week with all three, just started doing some off road running and Im loving the traffic free freedom of it, so much so I’ve ordered some trail running mud shoes so I continue despite the slump in conditions. IMO as others have said going straight to 4k will hurt a lot, build up to it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

do intervals.

I have run for a long time but never enjoy it, but intervals can actually approach fun as you, after some practise, actually find yourself running/sprinting quickly.

I do it by jogging 100 paces, then sprint 50 paces, then stop and gasp a bit, and repeat.

For normal running I’ve just bought a forerunner and set the low speed alert so at least their feels a point to the pain, as oppossed to running junk miles.

swanny853

Stretching. It’s all about stretching

This. Also the rest. But lots of this. Ideally run little and often to start with- I only really find the time for one 10k a week at the moment but I should really do two. If I don’t stretch I feel like I an barely walk the next day!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I only really find the time for one 10k a week at the moment

I had one of those health mots at the Gps a short while ago – asked about activity – said I am running a 10k most weeks, and also asked if I should be concerned that I was hitting 189 bpm when on the turbo trainer. Somehow that got on my record as me being an opportunity for a discussion about increasing my physical activity 🙁

robz400
    Free Member

Yes it gets easier.

Run regularly for a couple of weeks and suddenly you’ll be able to cruise along and really enjoy it.

Of course then you start trying to go faster and y
    that hurts too 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m 49 and studiously avoided running all my life. My sister-in-law convinced me to try for general fitness and also to shift a few pounds that the gym wouldn’t shift. Started on the treadmill and built it slowly. Started doing Park Run on a Saturday morning. Run / walk to begin. Then started a few races. So far this year I’ve done a 5K, 5 mile road race, 10K road race and an extreme obstacle course. Today I did a 10K mixed terrain and managed the full distance with no walking and few after effects. The key is start small and build. The main thing though is to do it regularly! Muscle memory counts for a lot. I’m running 3 – 4 times a week. It gets easier.

Still don’t like it mind. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

😯 I used to be quite a decent runner – but I always hated the interval sessions, and tended not to do them as much as I should. Too much pain. I have to wonder how hard you’re trying if you’re enjoying them!

epicyclo

mikey74 – Member
    The problem with cycling is it actually isn’t very good for the whole body, leading to muscle imbalances and tight tendons.

Riding single speed is better in this regard than general cycling because you use more of your body, and especially core muscles. (IMO)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I used to be quite a decent runner

I am not a decent runner and my ‘intervals’ only have sprints of 50 paces. But the fun was relative to my normal running…

ahwiles
    Free Member

You say ‘thighs pounding as I run’…?

You’re doing it wrong.

Seriously.

PiknMix
    Free Member

As others have said, yes it gets easier if you want it to. You just have to keep dong it.

I’m a rubbish runner but I do it everyday, I run 3 miles home from work but often loop that into a longer run when I pass my house and can drop my bag off.
    On my days off I usually do a longer one, I managed 14 miles on Friday (which considering I couldn’t do the run home from work without walking intervals 10 months ago I’m fairly happy with)

I don’t seem to get any aches anymore, but I can remember when just a short one would cripple me.

One of my fav routes goes up past lady cannings, so if you see a chubby bloke blowing out of his arse give us a wave.

andeh

I share your pain. I used to run a fair amount but haven’t for years due to moving into a city. Back out in the country now and the quiet roads and dirt tracks are calling. Went for my first run on Thursday, did what I would previously consider to be a short run, about 6km.

At the time I felt ok, I was surprised I wasn’t out of breath and didn’t need to stop.
    Then the next day came.
    Sweet jeebus, gingerly lowering myself downstairs, squeaking in agony on every step, was not what I expected. I’m hoping it’ll get better with time.

whytetrash

its a great way to keep your fitness up when you only have an hour or so! I first started when kids were little and ran when they were in bed, I used to run out and back so by adding a couple of hundred yards each time the distance soon increased. off road is lots more fun, ipod helps too, I ran a half marathon last night and whilst legs feel battered today then loosen up soon enough! YEP IT GETS EASIER!

nedrapier

At the time I felt ok, I was surprised I wasn’t out of breath and didn’t need to stop.
    Then the next day came.
    Sweet jeebus, gingerly lowering myself downstairs, squeaking in agony on every step, was not what I expected. I’m hoping it’ll get better with time.

Yup! This is familiar. Been there many times. I don’t run generally because I’d rather be on the bike, and I get ITBS and shin splints when I have run / played rugby regularly in the past.

Every now and then I get roped into playing 5 a side or some charity 5km or relay and I always run and run in the game, always push it, because I’m like that, and cardiovascularly, I’m fit. If I’ve not done anything but biking for 6 months, serious pain follows as above.

5 aside with mates – 1 week, agony. Second week, 25% of previous week’s pain. third week, same reduction again. Then I realise I don’t enjoy it that much, and I sack it off for more riding instead!

irelanst
    Free Member

Does it get any easier?

No, you just go faster, farther or both!

“Thighs pounding” sounds as though your quads are taking a hammering – is it down hill? Have you been over-striding? Try to land your foot under your hips rather than out in front.

surfer
    Free Member

Stretch after a run if you want but there is no evidence it does any good. If you dont run then even a short run of £4k may hurt a bit. You do have to condition your muscles etc.
    To answer your question yes it does get easier and after a few years of training every day you will be able to run 10 miles in an hour very easily. You get out what you put in 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

trail run …..and try not to heel strike …..short distances are definitely the way forwards if you aren’t used to running

trail_rat
    Free Member

short distances +10000

Took me about 2 months to feel comfortable the next day after runs of 2-3 km.

about 6 months on – 5k is no bother and i can run 10k in under an hour without feeling horrible.

Like cycling – consistancy is definantly the key and the fact there is zero freewheeling for recovery means its much more punishing when you do fatigue.

dragon
    Free Member

Stretch after a run if you want but there is no evidence it does any good.

Yes there is, you are confusing it with stretching before.

Also run offroad doesn’t have to be ‘offroad’ just a football field or astroturf will do. I never suffered as badly after 5 aside on astro as I do having been around the pavements.

surfer
    Free Member

Yes there is, you are confusing it with stretching before.

Show me

brant
    Free Member

I started running when I had my time off after leaving On-One. I was running lots. From Hebden Bridge to the M62 and back. Nice day out.

Tomorrow is school sportsday at the children’s school. And it will be one year since I snapped my hamstring in the dads race.

And twisted my ankle so bad it still hurts.

I’d had lots of niggly injuries along the way.

Take your time and build up slowly.

I don’t run any more.

CountZero

Never really interested in running, a quick sprint across the road was as far as I went, but a recent diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my left knee following an impact with Tarmac after my bike went out from under me means a fast walk across the road now, not a sprint. 😐

surfer
    Free Member

@Dragon. While I await the evidence this is quite an interesting read

About stretching

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I ruddy hate running….’ is closed to new replies.