Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I rode to Paris and here's my story
  • flimbo
    Free Member

I’ll never ride the Tour de France and I’ll never write a best seller but in 2014 I rode a steady 3,068 miles and here I’ve (finally) written about approximately 770 of them. If you’re at a loose end with absolutely nothing else better to do, please give it a try. (Click the ‘menu’ tab in the top banner to read more).

The Longest Week That Went Too Fast

matt_outandabout

Noted: I’ll read that tonight.

flimbo
    Free Member

Hope you enjoy it!

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

How accurate is this and what made you write up about it two years later?

flimbo
    Free Member

Everything is told exactly as it happened. I used strava to remind myself of the route we rode and to calculate distances and timings. Why do you ask?

I made notes as soon as I returned home and begun writing in October 2014. It took a lot of time and effort to write as you can probably imagine. I was busy with other things (including more riding, obviously) so I’d often go a few months without writing anything at all but it’s nice to finally have it finished.

smell_it
    Free Member

I lost interest at Charlie Boorman, the tosser. But I think that’s more about me than your writing skills. Nice ride though.

Leku
    Free Member

Long Way Round

try ‘Jupiter’s Travels’.

coconut
    Free Member

I lost interest at Ewan McGregor, the tosser.

tillydog
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, thanks! 🙂

(A few recurring spelling howlers: Peddle vs pedal; que vs queue; ‘s for plurals, etc, but I’d be hitting the ‘Like’ button if we had one.)

Congratulations on a great ride.

+1 for ‘Jupiter’s Travels’ – great book.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Congrats. For me it is far too long, I read the Plan and half of the Day 1 page. It needs to be a similar length to an STW piece if you want people to read it, 4 pages max.

russl
    Free Member

That was brilliant, I read it from start to finish in one go.
    It was really inspiring.
    I can’t get my head around how much boozing you all did when cycling that far every day!!!

Naranjada
    Free Member

That was a good read, thx for sharing.

I’ve done some solo touring in France and like you three I experienced the overwhelmingly kind and warm hospitality of the French people. Except in Paris where most folks seem rude, brusque at best!

I’ve also done some riding in Belgium which was fantastic, mainly following canals between Bruges, Ypres and Ghent.

The one thing I really took from your lengthy epistle was the spirit of adventure and all the fun and frustration that can bring!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

It’s very rare that I get a lie in. Today I had one and spent it reading that. Really enjoyed it – found myself really looking forward to this summer’s riding.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m looking to ride on the continent this year so have bookmarked it for a read later

flimbo
    Free Member

Thanks to those who took the time to read it and for the kind comments.

Tillydog; thanks for pointing out those mistakes. I’ll go back and edit what I can but I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Russl; we drunk plenty of energy drinks and water along the way as well but after long days in the saddle beer was a must! Plus, you have to sample to the local tipples!!

Naranjada; yeh, people over there just live bikes. It was such a refreshing change. The fact we’d planned virtually nothing really helped us have a spontaneous trip. Loved it!

Scott; I’m glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading. Those long summer rides seem a long way off still!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I rode to Paris and here's my story’ is closed to new replies.