Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I rode a 26" rigid singlespeed today – the trails came alive!
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Quite literally.

First time out on the winter SS for quite a while, and my word – shaken to bits by a mix of 26″ wheels, skinny tyres and rigid forks, not to mention having a seat post up my jacksie for the descents. I swear I could feel every pebble I rode across.

Quite the learning curve (again). Seems odd to think this was the norm (other than the SS bit) back in the early norties.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Nice one. I rode one once, it was one of the single most unpleasant experiences of my life!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

At my peak of MTB’ing I had a £3k full suss 29er, a £2k 29er hard tail and an £850 on one inbred SS 26″ and it was more fun than the other two put together, I learned so much more about line choice, fitness and reding the trails.

When I returned I came back on a 29″ 1 x 10 rigid which seams to be my perfect bike

ampthill

Having done most of my off road riding on a rigid bike I am amzed that people think that rigid forks are anything clever

I can see that the debate continues about the back. But the front is another matter

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I rode fully rigid from 1990 to – ooo – something like 1995, but like to think I was ahead of the curve running 2.2(!) Specialized Hardpacks (mainly to save my forearms).

I really liked riding the SS around the Chilterns as a nightride/winter bike, but since moving to the IoW there’s a lot more field-trotting which is definitely easier on biggerer wheels.

Or maybe I’m just getting older and less fit. 😉

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve recently converted my scott scale 26″ to rigid ss. It weighs 18lbs and is such a cool ride. Took it to the Surry hills the other day and overtook a bunch of guys with double crown forks on BKB. Made me smile but not as much as how direct it felt negotiating the super rooty trail that goes from the beginning of Telegraph down to the car park. I rode it in a controlled, precise kind of way instead of just trying to go fast. loved it and had a great day. I’ve stuck a 2.4″ tyre up front at 15psi which works so well on rooty stuff.

Most recent ride was on my blue Pig with 160mm of travel up front. loved that too.
    Love my road bike as well.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Sounds like fun PJ, using the arms & legs in a whole new way again, picking lines, it brings the old dull stuff back to the fore & allows the local stuff to be fun & challenging again, enjoy 😉

Kryton57

I’m night riding near the Chilterns on a rigid 26 SS tomorrow night.

Can t wait.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Rode straight through 2 winters in Epping forest on a rigid 26 SS such fun but finally bent the forks after hitting one too many bumps. Went out today first time on brand new bike SS rigid salsa el mariachi felt like somebody had laid a carpet round the entire forest – l really liked it

Kahurangi

overtook a bunch of guys with double crown forks

*swoon*

duntstick
    Free Member

I love full suss, most of what I do is with it, but I’ve just ordered a Surly Troll fork, and panniers to turn my old Pastey Howler into a touring beast, bloody good, these mountainbike thingys..

Cheezpleez

Rigid rocks! *

* so does suspension

Mister-P
    Free Member

Hmmm might dig the Genesis iO out the shed. It should make the commute across town so much more gnar.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hmmm might dig the Genesis iO out the shed. It should make the commute across town so much more gnar.

Pavements come alive? 😉

FTR, it’s a 1st gen IO I’m on, Mr. P. 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

I thought it might be, knowing your history 😉

TiRed

Went from rigid 29er SS to HT 26er SS. My hands like the suspension as I don’t rub the skin off them now. I also switched to some funky drop bars and the trails are positively vibrant.

shermer75
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz, have you tried 2.4 Schwalbe Nobby Nics? They’re not too bad in the mud and the cushioning is much appreciated 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz, have you tried 2.4 Schwalbe Nobby Nics? They’re not too bad in the mud and the cushioning is much appreciated

No – on Bonty Mud Xs at the moment which are great, but not too cushioned. 😕

I thought it might be, knowing your history

I think Jim even took some of my suggestions on while designing it! Well, that’s what I’ve convinced myself anyway. 😉

pictonroad

Been on the rigid steel singlespeed for a while now, just getting used to it being the norm. As it’s so dry I took the carbon full sus whizz bang out last night. Ridiculous, like riding a sofa, I could just slam through all the roots.

I don’t know if this is a good thing? I really don’t. I was faster, a lot faster, but was it more fun?

as it happens I smashed the mech off after an hour so had to ss the bike and crawl home anyway.. 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pffft. 16″ wheeled soft tails are where it’s at these days! (Or at least it’s what I seem to be riding almost exclusively, anyway!)

chrispo
    Free Member

I did an XC race on a rigid 26″ SS with no front brake the other weekend and it was definitely the front brake I missed most

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Only got a SS Rigid at the moment, the full suss SS was canibalised to build it onto an old Corratec Ally frame and yes you could ride over a 2p and tell if it was heads or tails.

Been riding since about 89 and always had rigid bikes, brief dalliance with full suss Giant Yukon (now the SS Susser above) but the faff of setting everything up and the incessant fiddling was a PITA so went back to rigid.

Just makes riding the same routes a bit more interesting but a lot, lot slower.

shermer75
    Free Member

Pffft. 16″ wheeled soft tails are where it’s at these days! (Or at least it’s what I seem to be riding almost exclusively, anyway!)

Brompton?

sefton
    Free Member

did someone say rigid 26″

22lb – quick as hell. built up for some cheap xc racing

plans…some less aggressive tyres

sticking with 3×9 as I was up and down the rings allday on sunday.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just makes riding the same routes a bit more interesting but a lot, lot slower.

That was what I noticed the most. Descending was definitely slower – I also never thought I’d miss the dropper that much.

stevomcd
    Free Member

overtook a bunch of guys with double crown forks

I reckon there’s a bunch of guys with big bikes who are perpetrating a massive hoax on all the rigid singlespeeders in the country. They have found them all and are following them around and allowing themselves to be overtaken often enough to each RSS rider (all 3.5 of them) to overtake them a couple of times a year.

It’s the only possible explanation for how it seems to be impossible to got out for a singlespeed ride and not overtake someone on a big bike. And then report it on here.

sefton
    Free Member

defo slower descending or on anything technical. but at the same time rewarding to pick a good line and keep the ‘flow’ going.

living around the west pennines 90% of trails are pretty tame

different kind of riding..having to constantly get out of the saddle to keep momentum up over bumps/ruts etc.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And then report it on here.

😆

It didn’t happen if it’s not reported on here. 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I rode a 26" rigid singlespeed today – the trails came alive!’ is closed to new replies.