Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • I really really really hate……my XT indicator window….
  • shiny
    Free Member

The sodding indicator window on my XT 1×11 shifter!

Please can you put me out of my misery and tell me where I can get a cover for it so I can remove it!

I only have a 4 days to get one including delivery…please help!

Cheers
    Shiny

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Take the window off, some shifters have the blanking plate clipped to the underside of them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did me fine.

nickjb
    Free Member

Take it off and put a square of gaffa tape over the hole

binners

Edit: Chapaking beat me to it

wukfit
    Free Member

11 speed don’t come with the cover (at least they didn’t when I bought mine)
    I just stuck some tape over it, has been fine

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member
    russyh
    Free Member

My first XT 11 speed shifter came with the crappy window installed with no blanking plate, the warranty replacement came with a blanking plate in the box. it appears that Shimano now provide them with a black plate.

oldejeans
    Free Member

surely this millenium’s least controversial entry to MTB room 101

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah nothing screems ‘Noob’ like an gear window – I’m shocked Shimano still ofter them on their mid/high level groupset let alone add them by default.

I’m glad the come with a cover now, when I bought mine it was a case of buying the right one.

davidr

It could be a lot worse, on the (few years old now) Deore shifters I have it required the judicious use of a hacksaw and then a bit of tape to remove them.

mcnultycop

Singlespeed?

iainc

new 1×11 XT on new bike last week and was just wondering about this, so have ordered one from SJS link above, cheers STW 🙂

shiny
    Free Member

Cheers all, I had resurrected a post from 10 months ago and there seemed some doubt over whether it fitted hence the check with the collective oracle. Tape will not survive the monsoon season here in Malaysia as I have tried it before.

Have just ordered one and will have it delivered next week by my old man who is out for a visit.

Cheers
    Shiny

martinhutch

Yeah nothing screems ‘Noob’ like an gear window –

I like my gear window. Tells me at a glance how awesome or weak/lazy I’m being on my local climbs. The only alternative is looking between my legs. 🙂

I’ll miss it on my new build.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Bit late to the party 😉
    I started the old thread so happy to see that you were pointed in the right direction and can confirm it fitted fine. I’m a bit miffed that Shimano are now including them.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

yea I like the window thing, but I’m a noob

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sharpie on the inside.

Or sharpie bimble at one end and gnar at the other?

richmtb

You know when I went 1 x 11 nearly a year ago I bought the window version as that’s all I could find in stock, fully intending to remove it at some point.

It’s still there, but I only just remembered because of this thread. I honestly can’t say I’ve noticed it not not being there.

avdave2

The only alternative is looking between my legs.

How awesome does that make you feel?

iainc

I’m a bit miffed that Shimano are now including them.

do they definitely include them ? and if so are they attached somewhere ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’ll be in the box Iain, you wouldn’t have got the box as it’s a fully built bike.

iainc

^^^^ cheers nobeer – will get it from Dales if they have it, though more likely never shipped from Giant…

philjunior
    Free Member

Even 9s doesn’t point in a way that you could infer the gear you’re supposed to be in from (even if you were a noob etc.). Unless the window has got a lot wider I can’t imagine 11s is any better is it?

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I took it off and used a bit of that weird Sugru stuff to blank off the top of it (being careful to avoid the mechanism) – has survived for over a year without coming off unlike tape

belugabob
    Free Member

While accept that it’s a matter of personal preference, whether to remove gear indicators or not, I’m curious how many of you “removers” have taken the numbers off the gear knob in your car 😉

fin25
    Free Member

Why exactly does removing this make you better?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It doesn’t make you better, it’s just a pointless piece of equipment. You know if you’re in the right or wrong gear for whatever you are doing, do you really look down and think ‘Christ, I should be in a bigger gear!’….

A bit like looking at the numbers on your car gear stick, or the display on modern cars that tells you to shift up…

chakaping
    Free Member

Why exactly does removing this make you better?

In a lot of cases it lets you fit the brake lever inboard of the shifter, putting both controls in the most ergonomic position.

So you can change gear and brake while keeping a firm grip on the bar.

kayak23

I’m thinking of making mine into a snow globe.

gelert
    Free Member

I was disappointed the bar mount M8000 shifter came with the display and no blanking cover in the box (Feb 2016). I’ve recently taken a cog off the cassette and fitted a one up spacer behind the block to help with chain line issues (backpedal) so I’m only using 10 of the 11 clicks now.

Thanks to the SJS link above I’ve ordered a couple of the covers.

I do like the M8000 shifter and mech. The 11s cassette has been a disappointment compared to the 10s XT one though. At least the M8000 shifter and mech work with the 10s XT + an expander so it’s not a total dead loss.

steel4real
    Free Member

I liked

Larry_Lamb – Member
    Took 2 secs with a google search

– yeah he’s so good he found you the 10 speed one when the OP wanted 11.

Nugget.

teethgrinder

As above – some form of rape tape over the hole. 1″ Gorilla tape here.

joebristol

Does it even matter if it is there or not? Can’t say I ever spend anytime looking at my handlebars anyway.

jekkyl

I like having the window and I’m not a noob. I like having a quick idea of what gear I’m in, especially helpful in the dark as well.

andyl
    Free Member

I was disappointed the bar mount M8000 shifter came with the display and no blanking cover in the box (Feb 2016). I’ve recently taken a cog off the cassette and fitted a one up spacer behind the block to help with chain line issues (backpedal) so I’m only using 10 of the 11 clicks now.

Surely you only have 10 clicks anyway so are not only using 9 clicks? 😉

benp1

Conversely I quite like mine!

On a leg burning climb it reminds me how many gears I have to go. I try to keep one ‘spare’, i.e. keep in 2nd, so that if I feel the need to give up (e.g. up a long fire road climb) then I still have one more gear to drop into

iainc

SJS one ordered as above, but will only remove indicator and put on if I need to move dropper lever to the right hand side (arthritic left thumb, old git … 🙁 )

philjunior
    Free Member

joebristol – Member
    Does it even matter if it is there or not? Can’t say I ever spend anytime looking at my handlebars anyway.

As someone’s already said, it depends where you want to put your shifters/brake levers, and what shifters/brake levers you are running.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘I really really really hate……my XT indicator window….’ is closed to new replies.