• This topic has 60 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • I really HATE George Monbiot
  • binners

I’ve read articles in the past by George Monbiot criticising the climate change deniers for having reached their own conclusions anyway, then simply cherry-picking the research ‘conclusions’ that then justify their already entrenched positions, and ignoring anything that doesn’t

Seems to me like that’s a bit rich, as he seems to employ exactly the same method himself

Oh… nice egg mayonnaise and cucumber butty, if we’re listing lunches 😀

grum
    Free Member

I wonder should have those that were the ringleaders in spreading the scandalous rumors about the MMR jab be prosecuted if people had died due to not having the jab

It’s interesting how upset you are about the relatively tiny numbers affected by this, compared to the huge numbers affected by the bad food we are constantly bombarded with advertising for.

loum – exactly.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Forgotten what the thread was about, but two burgers, some chicken and a kebab.
    Not looking forward to running that off later.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Grum please , please think about the children – you would not understand you dont have any

Cous cous salad with peppers , three bean salad + other salady stuff with some sweet chilli sauce and ground seeds [ need me Omegas] served on a bed of rocket and mixed leaves
    Fresh strawberries and raspberries for pudding

grum
    Free Member

Grum please , please think about the children

Are they wearing helmets? Because if they’re not, let them die.

Wholemeal Pitta with hummus and an apple here. 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

It’s interesting how upset you are about the relatively tiny numbers affected by this, compared to the huge numbers affected by the bad food we are constantly bombarded with advertising for.

I’m against fast food advertisement and I’m for increased labeling of foods and where they can’t be labelled better certain substances should be banned for those foods that can’t be labelled properly.

I am also against raping ecosystems such as the rain forest for beef because it will impair all our freedoms – the freedom to live in an ecologically sound environment and the freedoms of amazonian peoples. Not to mention rainforest destruction is a huge blow for scientific research. This should be done by just banning the import of beef from those countries.

What I am against is outright taxation of certain foods and blanket bans. I like to drink a bottle of wine a week, or have say two or three pints in the pub. The latter of which can now cost me anywhere up to 15 quid. Basically I am a soft/left-libertarian.

grum
    Free Member

or have say two or three pints in the pub. The latter of which can now cost me anywhere up to 15 quid.

You drink in the wrong pubs and/or live in the wrong part of the country. £15 would get me nearly six pints of decent ale in my local.

bawbag
    Free Member

I think that he is one of the best journalists around. He always provides detailed references for all his facts and has even published a list of all his interests in the name of transparency.

He is also willing to change his viewpoint depending on evidence as he has done regarding nuclear power.

mt
    Free Member

Was the egg free range and was that bread proper stuff (none Chorleywood). Nearly forgot, organic cucumber?

As has been said above, it’s a pity that we can’t just get straight to the discussion on the quality of what is sold as food and the way it’s sold to us, the whole food industry including retailers. Getting bogged down in arguments about the personalities, there take on the science (good or bad) I think is preventing a change that will help many people in the long term.

I should make clear that the science is important.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Bawbag, I almost have some respect for him when it comes to his environmental articles. But that’s his area that he’s studied for years and whilst he’s no scientist he’s read about if for years, he’s got a good brain so many of those articles are well constructed and articulated. But the further he goes from trying to argue opinion to science the more he falls down. That is especially the case now he’s trying to argue about health matters, a subject he has no real grounding in! It’s a bit like reading Peter Duesbergs journals on aids, a genius but totally and utterly wrong about aids!

loum
    Free Member

This should be done by just banning the import of beef from those countries.

A trade war with Brazil?
    What a plan!
    Are you George Osbourne?

bwaarp
    Free Member

A trade war with Brazil?
    What a plan!
    Are you George Osbourne?

The complexities of the world hey, now has taxation massively reduced consumption of alcohol? It does seem that it has a small effect. If it has a big effect, someone show me the evidence. Would taxing beef burgers stop people from eating them at any significant level or would they just spend more of their disposable income on them?

mt
    Free Member

A trade war with Brazil? As long as it does not include nut imports, very important part of my diet.

binners

Was the egg free range and was that bread proper stuff (none Chorleywood). Nearly forgot, organic cucumber?

Free-range eggs from a farm down the road, cucumber from the local greengrocers (not sure if it was organic or not, to be honest). Bread was Warburtons farmhouse, but as that’s made down the road too…..

I don’t know if George would aprove, or not. Its all just so confusing 😕

mt
    Free Member

“Its all just so confusing”

Just think, you are what you eat. I’m mainly a cabbage.

binners

In that case I would appear to be extremely ripe and cheesy

oldbloke
    Free Member

A trade war with Brazil?
    What a plan!

Not sure we need that, but how hard would it be to insist that the rules applying to food production here were applied equally to anything improted here?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

it’s a pity that we can’t just get straight to the discussion on the quality of what is sold as food and the way it’s sold to us, the whole food industry including retailers.

This +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

MrAgreeable

What that Monbiot article really needs is some stupid animated GIFs to get his point across.

sparksmcguff

Can’t we just invade Brazil? Than we’ll have all the nuts we could possibly eat? And we’d get a second go at doing a really really good olympics because now it would be somewhere hot and sunny.

Anyone see Die Zeit or was it another paper? Anyway, Germans praising British organisation! Are they learning Sarcasm? (I can say that and it’s not racist or nothing coz I lived there and have German family).

mt
    Free Member

We could never do a good Olympics in Brasil the distractions are to great.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I really HATE George Monbiot’ is closed to new replies.