Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I REALLY dislike Continuous Annual Payments…
  • awh
    Free Member

Continuous Annual Payments are not for my ‘convenience’ it’s to rip me off! A well known breakdown service sent me my membership renewal saying £120 would be charged to my credit card automatically. I checked online and as a new member I could get the same cover for £65. When I phoned up they asked me how much I’d seen it for (I didn’t tell them to see what deal they would offer) eventually they said they would match the online price of £85… They must know their current online price. I’m no longer a member.

trail_rat
    Free Member

admiral did that to me with my car.

only i pay with credit card – and the card had been canceled – they then proceeded to tell me i was due them for the month of cover they had provided without me paying … i laughed – if id crashed i know they wouldnt have paid out.

car was sorned anyhoo ! – they didnt get a dime out of me !

Gary_M
    Free Member

They usually ask if you’re happy to accept a continuous payment plan, I know they did when I renewed my insurance last year. I assume they asked you and you said ‘yes’.

awh
    Free Member

Continually asking me for the online price I’d seen suggested they were only interested in how much money they could get out of me and weren’t going to offer me their best price. I don’t like that as a business model.

They usually ask if you’re happy to accept a continuous payment plan, I know they did when I renewed my insurance last year. I assume they asked you and you said ‘yes’.

I don’t remember ever saying ‘yes’, but I know it’s never a good idea to just accept, didn’t realise the deal was this bad!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Admiral took a few weeks to refund £1000 they had off me… 😈

sam_underhill

I had an argument with Egg a few years ago about a continuous annual payment. I’d cancelled the card and a request for a payment came through. Which they paid. I didn’t get a bill for ages from Egg (as I’d cancelled the card) and they wanted to charge me interest when it finally got to me. Apparently (according to Egg) they are obliged to pay continuous payments even if the account is cancelled. We agreed to disagree in the end, I paid the original amount (as I actually want the product) but refused to pay any interest, which they reluctantly accepted.

jerseychaz

See this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17911241

and the banks wonder why we hate them!

franksinatra

HSBC took £1500 renewal for car insurance off me once.

I complained on the following grounds:

They hadn’t notified me of the renewal
    £1500 was more than 3x the previous years price
    The car had been written off by them 8 months earlier!

They suggested that it was my fault for not informing them that they had written off the car. They did offer to refund though but wanted to deduct 5 days cover from the refund, this was the amount of time it took for me to notice and bring it to their attention.

I used my angry voice.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I just had this from the AA on my car insurance, despite me saying categorically I didnt want continuous payments…

zippykona

Our electricity in the shop is on a yearly contract and we have to let them know 2 months in advance if we want out. The electric always goes up hugely the next year so we have to go shopping around for another company.
    I dread to think how many older people are getting ripped off by these scumbags. A lot of old people take pride in being with the same company for years and believe their loyalty will be rewarded.
    Nothing but thieving parasites,the lot of them.

toby1

The AA do this every year – luckily my wife arranges it as I’d have binned it off years ago, every yeah she phones and has to get the premium reduced, although the cover then always ends up being slightly different. Breakdown cover that is.

As for insurance each year I’ll change if I have to to get a lower premium, real pain in the butt though.

Customer loyalty is rewarded in some industries, such as grocery shopping but in insurance they just don’t seem to care!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Been there, got the t-shirt

richmtb

For the AA just pay by direct debit and delete the mandate after its set up.

They send you a letter saying they can’t take a payment for your renewal. Ignore this and then in a few weeks they will offer you the cover for £40 rather than the £90 in your renewal!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I REALLY dislike Continuous Annual Payments…’ is closed to new replies.