Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • I read this, and I thought of Drac….then got depressed.
  • DezB
    Free Member

Er, which sounds to me like exactly the point I was making…

yossarian
    Free Member

Drinking culture of this country is so pathetic and sad.

It’s a northern European thing. Been going on for millennia and wont stop because the prudish know better.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve seen pissed up youngsters in just about every country I’ve bin to, bar Bangladesh. Might be a reason why they don’t have a problem with binge-drinking there though…

It is part of growing up. Just that some people never grow up in that respect, which is a bit pathetic really.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Emma82 has made me proper laugh my head off. Thanks for that.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Er, which sounds to me like exactly the point I was making…

Nope, you were suggesting it was something to be ashamed of.

It’s not, as long as you have moved on as you’ve got older and (hopefully) wiser.

KT1973
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

Drinking culture of this country is so pathetic and sad.

It’s a northern European thing. Been going on for millennia and wont stop because the prudish know better.

Posted 4 minutes ago # Report-Post
    Elfinsafety – Member
    I’ve seen pissed up youngsters in just about every country I’ve bin to, bar Bangladesh. Might be a reason why they don’t have a problem with binge-drinking there though…

It is part of growing up. Just that some people never grow up in that respect, which is a bit pathetic really.

It’s interesting that since I’ve moved to Spain, I’ve noticed far more of a “going out at night” culture but it’s for tapas and drinks and they take the kids too and I’ve never seen anyone rolling around drunk, nor seen the slightest hint of trouble.
    There’s a supermarket near my house and I’ve often seen the teenagers near there drinking wine (as teenagers do) but they don’t give any cheek when I walk by and I’ve never felt intimidated in the slightest. There seems to be much more respect here.
    It reflects back to a lot of what was said on the tottenham riots thread earlier in the year. There seems to be more of a culture of respect and family values in other parts of Europe that we’ve largely lost in the UK.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Ah it’s a laugh though innit? Go out, get pissed up, have a fight, throw up over a copper or paramedic.

Was a phase when it weren’t a good night out unless there was Babylonian Intervention. Always seemed to kick off just as I was about to pull though, which was annoying.

Posted 1 hour ago

Elfinsafety – Member

I’m not condoning my previous behaviour, but equally I won’t beat myself up over it. I was young, stuff happened. Not proud of it, but equally not ashamed of it either.

Posted 58 minutes ago

Babycham made you do all that ? 😯

Elfinsafety – Member

Ah, I have fond memories of vomiting copiously after a few too many Babychams at teenage parties…

Happy days.

Posted 3 months ago

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Ooh, I tell you; the mornings after were not pleasant. You know those ones where you’re ‘never drinking alcohol again’?

That was me early/mid teens, Ernie. The stuff I’ve mentioned above din’t come ’til later, late teens into me twenties. Beer, mostly, sometimes spirits never drunk wine in pubs and that though.

Uni was an exciting time. 😀

Ooh coon’t be doing all that now though. Not healthy. 😳

project
    Free Member

now some muppet has nicked an ambulance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-16130305

His name to the top of the list for delayed responce or never respond then.

But thats not going to happen….

Drac

All too common there’s some footage somewhere of the one stolen from our service, then there’s this.

http://www.cleveland.police.uk/news/appeals/appeal11378.aspx

and this

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/video_thief_raids_chester_le_street_ambulance_as_medics_help_sick_pensioner_1_3775116

Only found the article and we’ve had more stolen since then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/6346791.stm

Raouligan
    Free Member

The amount it costs the NHS and drain on resources for self inflicted harm is ludicrous really, it would seem reasonable to invoice people for this.

I know it’s at odds with the principles of the NHS…

Essentially though collected by an ambulance for drunkeness could be made a public order issue with a fee of £250 per call out?

Anything to make binge drinking it may even work as a deterrent who knows.

It’s grim that NHS staff have to deal with this, it’s grim that the majority of the populous have to pick up the tab.

alpin
    Free Member

Es and Cannabis and that are far better though tbh. Used to go out on an E buzz, never ended up wrecked doing that.

+1. in fact, plus many. there are well over half a million people out on a weekend popping pills. how many of them (as a percentage) end up in A+E compared to those that drink….?

i think that those drinkers that end up so paralysed that the emergency services need to spend/waste time on them should be billed for their lack of self-control.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Drunk and incapable is an offence with fixed penalty notice. All that is required is that it is proved the person was so drunk they unable to stand or walk or unaware of what they were doing or unable to understand what was said to them.

Just enforce it and perhaps increase the fine. Simple enough I would have thought.

epicyclo

Raouligan – Member
    The amount it costs the NHS and drain on resources for self inflicted harm is ludicrous really, it would seem reasonable to invoice people for this….

I think if someone is drunk enough to be incapable of looking after themselves and is doing that regularly, then they have a problem.

How about if someone is picked up they are placed in a secure location, treated, and not released until the hangover period is over, say at least 24 hours.

If they were picked up again within the year, then keep them another day for educational purposes as well as treatment.

If the drinker was a frequent pickup, then the period of retention should be longer each time.

BTW I don’t remember the same amount of excessive drinking when I was young. We did get blootered from time to time, but the sheer cost of alcohol in those days meant we couldn’t afford to do it often.

retro83
    Free Member

project – Member
    now some muppet has nicked an ambulance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-16130305

His name to the top of the list for delayed responce or never respond then.

But thats not going to happen….

He stole an ambulance from Hackney and drove it all the way back to Chelmsford – where he lives about a mile from an A&E. What the shit?

Woody
    Free Member

Oh dear – someone will be in deep poo for leaving the keys in the motor.

It’s happened a few times but you can’t always keep the vehicle secure when you need to get the patient into the ambulance quickly. Here’s a muppet on my patch

Raouligan has the right idea. A fine based on being drunk and disorderly is entirely appropriate as the Police are now unable to lock most of them up for fear of vomitting/choking or other possible medical condition. Once it’s proved that they were simply drunk, slap the fine on.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Essentially though collected by an ambulance for drunkeness could be made a public order issue with a fee of £250 per call out?

Yeah, great idea. As long as it is also applied to other ‘self-inflicted’ injury, such as MTBing injuries etc….

Ah, not such a great idea now, is it, eh?

No.

Shooduv thought it through really, eh?

dogbert
    Free Member

I was out last night with work, met in a pub at 3pm, drank a few, went for a meal, drank a few more. Cut out drinking at 8, started drinking pints of water (much to the dismay of the bar staff) by 9:30 i just wanted to go home, felt badly dehydrated, like i’d cycled 40 miles in 90 degree heat with no water. I probably drank more than i would usually but certainly not a skinful.

What did surprise me though was when i said i was going home people just kept trying to pur drink down my neck or complain as i was a party pooper. Sometimes the UK’s attitude to drink is the reason we get looked at like the louts of europe.

Strangest comment i heard was “i cant guage when its time to go home by what time it is, i go by how drnk i am”

Woody
    Free Member

Yeah, great idea. As long as it is also applied to other ‘self-inflicted’ injury, such as MTBing injuries etc….

You seem to be confusing ‘self inflicted’ with ‘accidental’.

qwerty
    Free Member

two pages of mleh and i’m still struggling to understand how a drunk bird bent over with no knickers on makes you depressed ❓

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You seem to be confusing ‘self inflicted’ with ‘accidental’.

Or how about ‘avoidable’?

Most people don’t intend getting so drunk they fall over and need medical assistance. Same as most people don’t intend falling off their bikes.

Anyway, in order to fine them you’d need to introduce a new law, as well as having to take a blood sample to produce admissible evidence of their drunkenness. Which opens up a whole new ethical can of worms.

And AKAIK, a paramedic isn’t legally qualified to diagnose any medical/physical condition, so you’d need a doctor to sign the paperwork. Add to that the possibility that the patient may well in fact be suffering from a medical condition that makes them appear to be ‘drunk’ (such as diabetes), have inadvertently taken other medication that reacts adversely with alcohol, have mental health issues, etc etc etc.

I can see the argument for such a ‘deterrent’, but then carrying a knife is illegal yet still people get stabbed. Drink-driving is illegal, yet still loads of people do it. Yadda yadda.

It would add a whole load of extra problems to an already overworked system, and would it actually affect things?

Then, what about concerned friends not ringing for ambulances, cos they don’t want their drunken mate to get into trouble? So, potential for people not getting medical attention that they need (what if they’ve injured themselves and need stitching up?).

No, it’s a bad idea. I’ve thought it through and I’m right.

qwerty
    Free Member

And AKAIK, a paramedic isn’t legally qualified to diagnose any medical/physical condition,

how about a STEMI ? amongst others

flap_jack
    Free Member

Of course this is a modern problem…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

STEMI ?

What does that mean?

Jamie
    Free Member

two pages of mleh and i’m still struggling to understand how a drunk bird bent over with no knickers on makes you depressed

It’s the fact those who are trying to help these people, are being abused for their troubles.

Woody
    Free Member

Anyway, in order to fine them you’d need to introduce a new law

See my comment above re ‘drunk and disorderly’ or you could add ‘drunk and incapable’ but that might only apply in Scotland.

BTW elf – you are talking bollox about something you quite evidently know little about and trying to obfuscate the argument by introducing irrelevancies such as ‘knives’ and ‘drink driving’.

meehaja
    Free Member

I can diagnose all sorts of conditions and treat appropriatly, STEMI’s included. I’m also pretty good at telling the difference between pissed and hypoglycaemic. Fortunately where I live its not the 1970’s so we have blood glucose monitoring equipment.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See my comment above re ‘drunk and disorderly’

Irrelevant. In order to charge someone for medical attention received as a result of being drunk and incapable you’d probbly have to introduce new laws and that. All very compulcated you see. And how can you charge someone for something they’ve not asked you for? A ‘charge’ would require stuff like contracts between both parties etc, and a ‘fine’ would require addition, change or amendment to the Law.

BTW elf – you are talking bollox about something you quite evidently know little about

Am I? So, a paramedic is legally qualified to pass medical diagnosis are they? Are they allowed to pronounce soemone dead? Stuff like that? Please, enlighten me.

Or is the limit of their powers, in a legal sense, to ‘treat symptoms’?

I’m talking about legal definitions here, not medical ones. A paramedic sez ‘that’s just a swollen ankle, rest it up’, and it turns out in fact to be a fracture, paramedic is in trouble. Hence, why only a doctor can make such a judgment, legally. See? Which is why paramedics don’t diagnose; they treat symptoms.

Apology accepted, btw. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Are they allowed to pronounce soemone dead?

What, like ROLE?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can a paramedic/nurse issue a dearth certificate?

meehaja
    Free Member

Hello elf, normally I agree with you (but keep it quiet) However,

Yes I can “Diagnose death” without the need of a doctor. Given that I can produce an ECG showing that there is no electrical activity in the heart (asystole) or that I have recognised life is extinct (e.g hemicorperectomy, decay, PM staining, etc).

I can also diagnose and treat a varied range of illness and injury, remember a diagnosis isn’t a fixed answer, and can be wrong, a diagnosis is simply a statement of “here is what i think is going on”. From that, any treatment requires a diagnosis, and as such by that logic even the most basic first aider can diagnose legally. e.g “I diagnose that this man has no head”.

As the NHS pushes further towards “see and treat” pre hospital care, the diagnostic role of the ambulance service becomes even more relevent, and further training and development reflects that (just google ECP/Paramedic practicioner etc).

for further reading please feel free to enjoy the JRCALC guidelines 2006 here

Also, re: the ankle injury, I diagnose all the time, have a google for “Ottawa ankle guidelines”.

Have a nice weekend!

jim

qwerty
    Free Member

Can a paramedic/nurse issue a dearth certificate?

No. Why would they. It’s not relevant to their role. They have the “legal” power to ROLE a patient, miss out the doctor and take direct to the coroner at his mortuary if the situation dictates.

paramedic

please clarify to which you are refering: student paramedic, state registered paramedic, emergency care paramedic, critical care paramedic?

Spin
    Free Member

This is just the old ‘dole scum’ argument in a different guise.

Make your choice:

a. A system that tries to look after everyone.
    b. A system that only looks after the deserving.

The trouble with a is that people get pissed off with the perceived waste of resources.

The trouble with b is who decides who is deserving?

I’d rather live with b and shoulder a little extra tax than live in a country where people can fall through the cracks.

Woody
    Free Member

No apology required elf and meehaja has covered the main points.

You could, as you probably will, argue that ‘legally’ a Paramedic cannot diagnose death as it needs GP or Coroner to sign but in reality a Paramedic confirmation is good enough for the Police. It certainly was on the two I did this week.

Bearing that in mind (and getting back on topic) if a Paramedic or the Police have sufficient reason to believe that a patient is drunk, and in the absence of other medical conditions, it would be relatively simple to gain a conviction and impose a fine.

gusamc
    Free Member

elfin

“If you have been involved in a road accident, then under the Road Traffic Act, the ambulance service can make a charge, not a lot of people know that….. *might be Scotland only, not clear from http://www.national-ambulance.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60

I do actually coz I was charged after getting knocked off a motorbike by a car driver.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok so it’s a misunderstanding of terminology; what I’m getting at is stuff what would be admissible in a legal setting. Where there is doubt.

So, if I go to hospital with a knacked ankle, a nurse/paramedic would make an initial medical diagnosis based on obvious signs. But just say I was to make a claim against someone for injury caused, then a doctor would be the only person legally qualified to write down ‘this patient has a sprained/broken ankle’ etc. Am I correct? IE, nothing a paramedic or nurse sez would have any legal weight. No?

Because every time I’ve bin to hospital to get patched up, I’ve bin told I can’t be ‘signed off’ until I’ve seen a doctor, ‘for legal reasons’. Hence why when I had a finger bitten half off, and the paramedic looked at it and said ‘that will probably just need a few stitches’, I’m pretty bloody glad a proper doctor referred me for emergency surgery. Had that paramedic just stiched the wound up, I would probbly have lost my finger, possibly my haynd or may even have died.

I was glad of the lack of faff when I had an Avocado Incident, however, when the Triae Nurse just bunged a few stitches in, as it meant I was in and out within 40 minutes and din’t have to trouble an overworked doctor.

Anyway; point is in order to start charging/fining folk for their treatment if they’re pissed, a whole load of beauraucracy and faff would have to be introduced.

Can’t just have a paramedic’s word, in a court of law, just saying ‘the bloke appeared to be drunk’, you’d need blood samples and that. Some proper physical evidence. Like with drink-driving. No conviction could take place without such evidence.

Are paramedics legally qualified to take blood samples which can then be used as admissible evidence in a court of law?

if a Paramedic or the Police have sufficient reason to believe that a patient is drunk, and in the absence of other medical conditions, it would be relatively simple to gain a conviction and impose a fine.

Really? Without physical evidence?

Drac

Elfin probably best you stop spouting rubbish on something you clearly know nothing about.

We actually have a legal obligation to diagnose and treat, we’re state registered now and because so we’re expected to act professional, correctly diagnose and treat patients.

Drac

Am I correct? IE, nothing a paramedic or nurse sez would have any legal weight. No?

No you’re wrong a Dr may never even be involved.

qwerty
    Free Member

Are paramedics legally qualified to take blood samples which can then be used as admissible evidence in a court of law?

Changing direction quicker than a cornered rabbit. And for that reason, i’m out!

Jamie
    Free Member

Elfin probably best you stop spouting rubbish on something you clearly know nothing about.

…and change a habit of a lifetime? Good luck with nailing that particular brand of fog to the wall.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘I read this, and I thought of Drac….then got depressed.’ is closed to new replies.