Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • I questioned someone leaving a bagged dog poo in a hedge.
  • pictonroad

They did it in front of me. I’ve had words with dog owners before not picking up so I politely enquired as to what on earth she thought she was doing?

Where we were standing on a beautiful spot on the South Downs every bit of hedge and path was full of these bags. It’s utterly foul and I hate it with a passion. I presume the dog owners are attracted to these places as they’re so nice so as well as being a disgrace it’s counter intuitive and perplexing.

Back to said incident. She agreed with me, all these OTHER people were a disgrace and she would pick hers up on the way back. I asked (I’m very polite, there was no malice) why she couldn’t carry it but she was insistent that despite the human condition of potential forgetfulness she would never ever forget to come back this way. Just like ALL the other people who would never forget.

I was at Kingley Vale this morning, a unique place of beautiful twisted and gnarled 1000 year old yew trees, and there, stuffed into the trees, bags of dog crap.

I’ve had it with dog owners, the South East is too crowded for this behaviour, but it’s always the ‘other’ owners doing it. I don’t care anymore, every bit of countryside I want to enjoy is plagued with bags of dog effluent. How can we stop it? Dog owners, when does it stop being the ‘other’ owners and a collective responsibility?

I always return from a walk with extra litter I’ve collected, I always pick up any cycling litter I see so that ‘my’ people, cyclists don’t get tarred. Is it time dog owners got together to try and clear these places?

Rant over, I’m sick of it.

jonnyboi

I’m surprised she didn’t punch you or hurl abuse. I thought that was the standard response when people are challenged on their right to do whatever the hell they want with impunity

funkmasterp

Quite good, contains use of unnecessary capitals, but loses points for good spelling and lack of expletives 7/10

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Agree completely. I have a dog and always bag up and take home. Discarded bags drive me mad as does dog poo left by the side and on the local sports pitches. It would be much better to flick it into a hedge rather leave it in a plastic bag.

curto80
    Free Member

7/10? For that? You are Len from Strictly and i claim my £5.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There could be entire new ecosystems developing in those bags, some of the older ones may have developed rudimentary societies.

Cougar

Did you check whether she did?

myti
    Free Member

Well done for challenging it. It maddens me. Even if everyone did come back and pick it up as there are so many people constantly walking dogs at various times of the day there will inevitably always be some bags of poo sat there looking ugly. I think a certain group of people just pick it up as people are watching and then hurl it in the nearest bush when alone. Death is too good for those people. More poo bins 5 to 10 mins from the start of popular walking spots would be good but obviously more hassle and expenses for council. Perhaps a dog tax is on order? Ps dog owner here.

theotherjonv

It would be much better to flick it into a hedge rather leave it in a plastic bag.

It would be – but only in a lesser of two evils way. Stick and flick isn’t suitable in all places and the risk of making stick and flick ‘normal’ is that people will use it inappropriately. Bagging and carrying out is always acceptable (we did this a couple of weeks back)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/government-to-take-action-on-dog-poo-in-trees

and bagging and ‘leaving to collect later’ (yeah, right…) should carry the same penalty as not picking up.

tomaso
    Free Member

It does beg belief.

I wonder how much the council or national park pay for the removal of hundreds of bags of pooh?

scotroutes

How can we stop it?

Easy. Outlaw pet dogs. That’ll put an end to all the whinging about fireworks displays too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Rant over, I’m sick of it.

I hear ya!! Me too. I was on Moel Famau on Sunday and there were **** poo bags everywhere. I feel like giving them some…

pennine
    Free Member

New looking black bag hanging on tree in local woods. The bin for such items is less than 20yds away. I don’t get it!!!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I wouldn’t stick your finger through one lodder’s, very messy

jonnyrockymountain

My philosophy is all you dog owners are to blame, because there is that much dog shit on pavements and paths and bags left on the floor you all should be ashamed of yourselves its absolute disgrace when walking and having to dodge it, it would help if most of you dog people would first keep them on a lead then they couldn’t venture of and just shit where ever they want, you wouldn’t like if I dropped a large turd on the path/pavement and you stood in it would you

teethgrinder

It’s minging. Every single dognonce that does this should have their dog minced.

Northwind

I got “bagging it and hanging it in a tree makes it easier for the rangers to pick up”

kudos100
    Free Member

I agree.

I’ve nicknamed my local woods, dog shit woods due to all the inconsiderate tossers leaving their dogs business behind.

What I really don’t get is bothering to pick it up, wrap in a bag and then leave it in a tree?!?

Why not just flick it into the bushes with a stick.

A suitable punishment is having the offenders face pushed into said dog turd.

CountZero

There could be entire new ecosystems developing in those bags, some of the older ones may have developed rudimentary societies.

It’ll probably closely resemble those who left it there in the first place…
    One answer might be to carry a rattle can of dayglo orange paint, and if catching someone doing this, say, oh, well done, may I shake your hand, then spray it orange, along with the offending bag of shit, letting them know that they’ve been marked and noted, and the bag had better be removed.

RustySpanner

Top of Marchlyn Mawr reservoir on Monday.
    It’s lambing season, but one genius decides to ride up with his dog, off the lead.
    Thoroughly deserved the bollocking he got from the warden.
    And yes, he’d left a bag of dog shit at the bottom gate, which he seemed quite proud about.

All the usual entitled dog owner excuses:
    ‘We come here all the time’.
    ‘But he’s a working cocker and my wife walks him every day’
    ‘He’s been fine around sheep so far’.

He’s a lucky man.
    Most of the farmers round there shoot dogs first and ask questions later.

Drac

I’ve had it with mountain bikers, the South East is too crowded for this behaviour, but it’s always the ‘other’ mountain bikers doing it. I don’t care anymore, every bit of countryside I want to enjoy is plagued with people riding bikes. How can we stop it? Mountain Bikers, when does it stop being the ‘other’ bikers and a collective responsibility.

I agree though chucking bags of shift into the treees and hedges is disgusting.

TheWrongTrousers

Where I used to live there were several dog poo bins scattered about. Someone would collect all of the dog turds out of their garden and put them in a black bin liner over the course of a few weeks. Then they would take the bin liner and dump it next to a poo bin, cos it was too big to fit in by this time. Then everyone would ignore it, including the blokes who empty the bin until it’s been sat there for a couple of weeks. By which time the bag has split and spilt it contents all over the place.
    The stench was atrocious, flies, maggots, the works. All over the place. Right next to a path.
    Delightful behaviour.
    Then, after asking the Parish Council to do something about it several times, it would disappear, only for the next black bin liner to appear a week or so later !
    Seriously WTF !?!?!?!?!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

anagallis_arvensis

Is it time dog owners got together to try and clear these places?

Maybe you are right. If I see discarded inner tubes I pick them up..thats an annoying habit too. I dont pick up other dogs shit though..maybe I should as I rarely leave the house without bags…

Northwind

pictonroad – Member

Is it time dog owners got together to try and clear these places?

Dog community leaders should have to condemn it

RustySpanner

🙂
    Very good, Northwind.

I like dogs btw, family full of them.
    Not keen on some of the owners.

irc

Same mentality that will walk 2hrs carrying heavy full cans/bottles to a bothy but rather than carry the light empty ones out leaves them bagged for the non existent bin men to collect.

pictonroad

Dog community leaders should have to condemn it

I’m aware of the absurdity of collective responsibility based on a shared commonality, but, I’m somewhat at a loss what else can be done.

Suggestions from owners welcome.

Behaving like an entitled bellend is of course a modern right but I feel this is something that should be solvable.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I thought you were going to be talking about Highdown but it could be anywhere really. How many ‘dog shit alley’ segments are there on Strava? I recon there are hundreds thousands in the UK

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’m surprised that no ones driven past these reprobates in a tractor with the silage spreader on full whack

Realistically, we need a kind of ‘candid camera’ tv prank show to ridicule the tools that leave the dog mess behind.

Drac

I’m aware of the absurdity of collective responsibility based on a shared commonality, but, I’m somewhat at a loss what else can be done.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2015/apr/28/dna-testing-dog-poo-have-to-be-barking-council

wilburt
    Free Member

Dog owner here, two actually and they often do a couple of shits each when out and about (one even saves a little shit do in front of people).

I think I’m pretty good at telling when they’re about to drop a load and I would say 19 times out of 20 pick it up and dispose of properly.

Possibly miss the occasional one, sometimes dogs have ninja shits that’s just the way they are.

When off the beaten track I’ll probably choose to kick a little bit into the deep undergrowth rather than bag it but its a decision to make on the spot regarding the risk of someone stumbling across it any chance of that and it gets bagged and binned.

However I think its the reluctance from some owners to make this assessment (probably in fear of the poo nazi’s) and because they are in an open space far from bins and dont want to carry it so they bag the poo and chuck it, which is silly of course.

So the best solution is to try and educate people on when it may be ok to leave it in situ.

It wont work though, as we see on lots of subjects many humans are a bit stupid and getting stupider. It’s like a zombie outbreak in slow motion, tbh I think youre all fekked.

Cougar

Weird comparison between dog owners and cyclists on a mountain biking forum.

Me, there’s nothing I hate more than the smell of inner-tubes on a trail, or riding over a discarded inner tube, or those lazy bastards who hang an inner tube on a tree to collect “on the way back.” I always pick up discarded inner tubes from other cyclists when it happens, oh, never.

loddrik
    Free Member

When off the beaten track I’ll probably choose to kick a little bit into the deep undergrowth rather than bag it

I’m sure I read somewhere that this is what the forestry commission recommend rather than taking bags into rural areas.

I do go through a few bags, my border terrier has at least 5 shites a day!!

Rubber_Buccaneer

inner-tubes

Inner what granddad? 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

At Macclesfield Forest there is a huge problem with dog muck (in and out of bags) especially near the car park and amazingly, within 50 metres of two very visible dog poo bins and lots of signs asking owners to pick it up.

vickypea
    Free Member

I think the people who pick up what others leave behind should stop doing it, and let the dog muck mountain on the footpaths and in the countryside pile up until the hideous sight and the smell finally alert them to their selfish behaviour.

Houns

As someone who has to go around and collect these things, if I ever catch someone doing it, they shall have my bin bag full of little wrapped presents dumped over their heads.

I’ve had bags split open and contents go over me (Those that are flung in to tress, hedges and undergrowth) I’ve hit hidden bags with mowers and strimmers resulting in having shit over me. Nappies are often hidden too.

The effort some go to to traipse through undergrowth and hide bags in animal holes at the foot of tress

I’d happily hide out for days with a sniper rifle picking them off one by one

mudmuncher

When off the beaten track I’ll probably choose to kick a little bit into the deep undergrowth rather than bag it

great when you have kids who love to run in the undergrowth.

Seems to be an explosion of dog shite in my area. Instead of enjoying the scenery I spend most of my time looking down at the path immediately in front of me and steering my kids out of the undergrowth / verges.

Promised the kids a country walk to a local pub for lunch last weekend, we got about half way when my 6 year old stood in a massive runny dog slick. Got it everywhere – trainers, trousers and hands when he went to wipe it off. Had to abort the trip, was flippin furious.

sirromj

I was going to create a dog shit and broken glass alley segment near me but was so spoilt for choice I thought I could number them at which point realised it was a futile exercise.
    Someone has sprayed some pick up and bag dog shit stencils on one of them which unfortunately seem to be covering the opposite message.

Drac

You lot seem to see issues way beyond what I see, never seen it as bad as some of you describe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘I questioned someone leaving a bagged dog poo in a hedge.’ is closed to new replies.