Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • I promise I'm not taking the p!$$; what is Enduro?
  • IHN

It’s obviously all the rage, and I’m incredibly out of touch. So what is it?

MSP

0/10

IHN

I’m honestly not trolling.

wombat

I dunno either, I assume it’s short for endurance so it must be going for a longer ride than usual….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Enduro is the new name for all mountain.
    of course all mountain was the new name for trail riding.
    of course trail riding was the new name for mountain biking.

It’s what most of us have been doing all along. (only now they use more garish colours).

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a cross country race where only the downhill bits are timed.

Or something like that.

seems a bit of a waste of time to me as i like racing uphill but people love it so it’s all good.

I assume the people up there still ride cantibreaks and flexstems^

NormalMan

Onzadog – Member
    It’s what most of us have been doing all along. (only now they use more garish colours).

With a username that hints at BITD riding I would have thought you’d have been used to garish colours 😉

IHN

Given I started doing what I’ve been doing all along in the purple-anodised mid 90’s, I’m not sure your point about colour is accurate 🙂

nbt

It’s like the the MTB version of car rallying. The “special stages” are timed – usually downhill sections for MTB races. You must get from the end of the timed section to the start of the next time section by a suitable method – usually according to rules like wearing a helmet at all time, respecting certain rules etc etc (I remember one guy being DQed from an enduro in whistler becuase he wore a full face helmet but lifted it to rest on top of his head while riding between sections instead of weaing it properly)

mos

It’s what freeriding used to be before ‘hucking’ and ‘jibbing’.

munrobiker
    Free Member

What NBT said- it’s rallying on bikes. Since we already had a discipline called enduro, Rallying would be a better name for it.

tomhoward

It’s a race format similar to rallying. You have a number of timed stages (mainly downhill) that all count to your race time then link sections that you (often, but not always) have to complete within a certain time to avoid time penalties.

What I don’t get is all the condescension. it’s a race format, nothing more, nothing less.

Edit, must type faster….

IHN

Right, gotcha, thank you.

Since we already had a discipline called enduro

Hang on, what was that then? Are we talking Mayhem-type stuff?

Kunstler

If you were try to analyse it from looking at the photos my friends post on Facebook you might suppose it was the use of bikes that look like they’d be great on rocky descents but ate used on steep muddy trenches somewhere near Innerleithen.

tomhoward

Right, gotcha, thank you.
    Since we already had a discipline called enduro

Hang on, what was that then? Are we talking Mayhem-type stuff?

Yeah.

fasthaggis

It’s like this ,but on push bikes

antimony
    Free Member

Thanks for asking the question. I’ve didn’t really know but was too scared to ask.

IHN

There’s no such thing as a stupid question 🙂

*awaits Hora’s next thread*

Northwind

Thread needs more GW.

It is 2 things, an actual real and very good race thing which has been a massive success on merit and largely on word of mouth… and a marketing thing to sell you yellow shorts. (half the point of enduro racing is that it’s like the riding we already did, on the bikes we already had, with the kit we already had. So it’s really weird that now it’s a blunt weapon to sell things.)

Also, you know how nobody really liked “all mountain” as a description? Now it’s #enduro.

Pigface
    Free Member

Fast Haggis being very pedantic there are a lot of differences aren’t there? Can you burn checks in cycle Enduro? Are you on a minute?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You obviously weren’t actually there, were you?

binners

It seems that you its just the same thing as you always did, except you apparently now have to wear goggles 🙄

cakefacesmallblock

And yellow garments 😉

traildog
    Free Member

It seems that you its just the same thing as you always did, except you apparently now have to wear goggles

See above. Goggles have always been in use.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Googles and an open face helmet are clearly nothing new!

br
    Free Member

It’s a race that normal folk can enter where they neither need to be fit or brave.

If they were fit they’d go XC-racing and if they were brave they’d go DH-racing 🙂

Although the fast guys/girls at an Enduro are certainly fit and brave.

binners

Googles and an open face helmet are clearly nothing new!

Maybe not, but It’s still epically confected bell-endery

Northwind

I heard a guy in the car park yesterday “Man, it’s a shame goggles work so well for this, they make me look like a total fud” I reckon it’s largely anti-fashion, a lot of people doing it because it works even though it looks ridiculous. Was sort of glad I didn’t like it!

b r – Member

If they were fit they’d go XC-racing and if they were brave they’d go DH-racing

Done all 3, stuck with enduro because it’s the best of the 3. IMO of course! And I’ve been more scared more often doing enduro tbh- harder trails on a smaller bike with less practice and more tiredness.

tomhoward

There’s no such thing as a stupid question

Only stupid people, asking questions.

*awaits Hora’s next thread*

Ah, gotcha.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Wonder if the folk slagging goggles and open face helmets have ever tried to race fast down a muddy downhill track that they’ve just had to pedal 45 mins in the heat to the top of?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Wonder if the folk slagging goggles and open face helmets have ever tried to race fast down a muddy downhill track that they’ve just had to pedal 45 mins in the heat to the top of?

Of course they have, because ‘its the riding they have always done, just in bright colours now’.

julians
    Free Member

I’m a recent convert to wearing goggles instead of glasses when on the bike, it works well for me , keeps the grit out of my contact lenses, stops the wind from affecting my vision.

Glasses were never 100% effective at either of the above. I guess if I didnt have to wear contact lenses then it may not be such a problem getting a bit of grit in your eye, but if you’ve never experienced the pain of a small stone stuck between a hard plastic lens and your eyeball , you dont know what you’re missing.

Northwind

glasgowdan – Member

I reckon a lot of people see it as a silly fashion-led fad, people trying to “look enduro”, so judge it accordingly. And for some folks, it actually is exactly that… But not most, I think. I can’t imagine anyone racing in goggles is thinking “This is way worse than glasses but it looks great”, but probably quite a few are thinking “this is great but it looks awful”

I’d race in a pink tutu if I thought it made me faster 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

I’d race in a pink tutu if I thought it made me faster

If you believe it hard enough then it might actually make you faster, I’ve got one you can borrow…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Well it couldn’t make you any slower.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s rad

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s rad

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s not that rad. Anyway pumptrack racing is where its at. You can do it in your jeans.

jimjam
    Free Member

Enduro, I believe is the most popular MTB race format at the minute in terms of participation. But more importantly it’s the latest whipping boy of curmudgeonly internet cynics and keyboard warriors who claim it’s just an evil marketing ploy on the part of bike companies to liberate money from consumers.

The same people have been claiming on all these threads for several years that “it’s what they’ve always done” but I think they fail to see that “Enduro” is a race format, so unless they were racing timed dh stages with three or four hundred friends over the course of their leisure rides then they haven’t, just like I wasn’t Downhill Racing when I was dicking about the local dh tracks on my Giant Glory. I think a lot of the confusion and negativity comes from the fact that “all mountain” and long travel trail bikes became popular in the UK before “Enduro” race formats did.

Rorschach – Member

It’s rad

Rorschach – Member

It’s rad

So stoked you had to post it twice.

jam-bo

its like strava, but real.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I promise I'm not taking the p!$$; what is Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.