Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • i phone failed, whats my rights?
  • flatback
    Free Member

18 month old 4s,on orange contract after downloading ios7 the wifi chip fails huge problem for thousands if you look around net, apple and orange say phone cant be repaired its tough, does consumer law with product life span cover this? or am I just wasting my time, girl on orange told me yes you have a 2 year contract but the phone has a one year guarantee as that’s its life span…

wysiwyg
    Free Member
    fourbanger
    Free Member

But you have to prove the fault was there from manufacture right?

wysiwyg
    Free Member
    scaredypants

But you have to prove the fault was there from manufacture right?

can’t be hard if thousands have been affected

I thought electronic devices had to have 2yr warranties anyway – did I imagine that ?

scotroutes

Does the warranty still apply if you’ve tried to upgrade the software though?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah cos apple ram it onto your phone pretty much by default. Its not a third party app

wagenwheel

Make an appointment to see a ‘genius’ always had good service from the Apple store with out of warranty items.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Make a genius bar appointment at an apple store – you should have a 2 year guarantee through Apple.

If they knock that back, you should still be entitled to a free repair through your statutory rights – basically the sale of goods act says that goods should last for a reasonable amount of time – for example if you buy a TV you should have a reasonable expectation of a lifespan of between 3 and 5 years. Likewise with phones etc.

I don’t expect you’ll get any joy with EE, but I reckon Apple will see you alright.

scotroutes

Aye – fair do’s.

plyphon
    Free Member

Just take it to Apple – they’ll give you a as-new refurb if it is truly bricked, but will most likely reset the software & firmware and flash it with a new OS.

So back anything up that you need before hand.

EDIT: and don’t go in there hot headed waving SOGA printed off on a piece of A4 paper, just be cool and explain the situation. They reward nice customers and will sort you out.

Source: Apple have just replaced a £450 quid logic board in my MBP for free when my laptop was 1 week out of the 3 year warranty.

flatback
    Free Member

went in genius yesterday they did full diagnostics and rebooted ios7 it did not work they offered me a 160quid graded 4s and that was all they would not budge

jambalaya
    Free Member

@flatpack, certainly seems to not be an isolated incident based on Forum posts, rather bizarre. I would do a full restore via iTunes, I assume Apple didn’t do that just a reboot.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Its a 1 year warranty on iPhone s, £160 is pretty good. I’d be doing that.

cranberry
    Free Member

Now would be the time to start waving the SOGA at them then.

jambalaya
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    Now would be the time to start waving the SOGA at them then.

I assume you mean at Orange, its they who sold the OP the phone.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Read the link. At this point FA to do with Any genii unless purchased from apple which it was not

fourbanger
    Free Member

All those citing SOGA, don’t fully understand SOGA.

Cougar

Under EU law, electrical goods have a two year warranty as per the Apple link.

Under SoGA goods have to last a reasonable amount of time. If a phone’s in contract, it’s wholly reasonable to expect a phone to last for the length of the contract.

Your contract is with Orange not Apple, they’re responsible for fixing it. However, Apple might help with less fuss.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They reward nice customers and will sort you out.

That’s about the most **** thing I’ve ever read. The op doesnt want “rewarding”, they just want the phone they’ve paid good money for to work as it sdhould.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Under EU law, electrical goods have a two year warranty as per the Apple link.

Its just a matter of how you define “warranty”, because its not as simple as it just not working anymore, or the OP could just go in there waving his copy of the Sales of Goods act an give them a lecture on EU electronics consumer law.

chewkw
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

They reward nice customers and will sort you out.

That’s about the most **** thing I’ve ever read. The op doesnt want “rewarding”, they just want the phone they’ve paid good money for to work as it sdhould.

Now you have to beg them to repair a faulty item?

Are they going to say to you … “be a nice boy and you will be rewarded. Woof! Woof!”

D’oh that’s a dog.

🙄

Frankers
    Free Member

Frankers
    Free Member

I love Apple products but they always try to wriggle out of the warranty

Mates iMac packed up after 18months and they refused to repair, he had repaired by 3rd party then chased them for the money, through branch manager of shop. Eventually they paid up.

Seems their initial response is generally to stick to 12 months unless you’re prepared to fight.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Mine went a few days outside of the 3 month warranty I got when I paid £120 for a refurb 4s days out of the first year warranty. They wanted another £120 for another refurb. No thanks.
    The best CS in the world (which it seems ou a handful get) isn’t worth much if the product isn’t fit in the first place.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I find it frustrating that the manufacturer is now regarded as being responsible for an in contract handset rather than the netwrok provider. I have an Xperia Z that had a slight problem. Sony failed to fix it first time and when I held 3 to account they said its Sony’s fault and told me the only way to go forward was to speak to the ombudsman. While Sony got it right second time I was taken aback at how quickly 3 denied all responsibility!

Northwind

Your communication device failed? Well in that case I think you have the right to remain silent.

<Insert tumbleweed here>

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Im surprised at Apple, Ive had three iPhone replacements over the years, all out of of the 1 year warranty and none have taken more than about 15 minutes in store.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘i phone failed, whats my rights?’ is closed to new replies.