Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • i-phone 4s vs i-phone 5
  • theotherjonv

In a nutshell, what does a 5 do that a 4s won’t?

Wife needs to upgrade her old i-phone and in return for extending her currently price effective contract has been offered the 4s for no cost, or the 5 for £269.

2nd – what’s the magic tactic for getting Vodafone to negotiate on the 5? Do you still have to ask for your porting details so you can move to another provider – or are there really no deals to be had?

chainslapp
    Free Member

I’ve got both and think that the 4s feels better quality with a nicer finish. The 5 is a bit faster with another row of apps on the longer screen. Apart from that not a lot different really.

Duane…
    Free Member

5 is lighter and has a better camera (amongst other things).

They’re the main 2 things that were tempting me to get a 5 over a 4s, but couldn’t justify the extra cost.

v8ninety

I think that the 5 is mostly better at picking up scuffs and scratches, and looking second hand more quickly through everyday use. Much to my disappointment.

nealglover
    Free Member

I used a 5 for a week or so while my 4s was being repaired after I stood on it 🙁

I wouldn’t trade my 4s for a 5 – not if it was £269 difference – no chance.

There is not enough improvements to justify that sort of cost difference in my opinion.

LMT
    Free Member

For me, the apple bubble has burst, its just a phone, i don’t facebook or anything from it. Its a great phone but im tempted by the Nokia Windows phone for my next one.

landcruiser
    Free Member

What about 3GS vs 4s – 5 ?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Same as lmt, fed up with waiting for apple to produce and amazing phone only for it to have tech that other players had 8 months earlier.

So I went for the s3. Love it, takes some getting used to after an iPhone but is a great phone.

grum
    Free Member

I just came to the end of my 3GS contract and went for a 4S. Had a play with a mates 5 and while the big screen is nice it doesn’t feel as solid, and the improvements are pretty incremental.

landcruiser – 4S feels a lot faster and has proper turn based navigation, plus the camera is reasonably good on the 4S, pretty poor on the 3GS.

GrahamS

What about 3GS vs 4s – 5 ?

Night and day – mainly due to the screen doubling in resolution (from 3GS to 4) and vast improvements in the camera and speed.

For me, the apple bubble has burst, its just a phone, i don’t facebook or anything from it. Its a great phone but im tempted by the Nokia Windows phone for my next one.

If you don’t even Facebook from it then why bother with any brand of smartphone at all?

(Written on the bog from my iPhone 4)

CountZero

Why would you even be interested in a Windows phone then? It’s main advantage is that social network sites are directly accessible from home page tiles; there are significantly less apps available for other uses, so if you don’t do Fb or Twitter from a smartphone, what on earth is the point in you having one, other than to show it off to an otherwise indifferent public. 🙄

landcruiser
    Free Member

(Written on the bog from my iPhone 4)

🙂 Does it not put that in automatically ?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Gadget Show just reviewed 5, Lumia and the One X – Lumia was awful, 5 was good but nothing new tech wise, One X walked all over the other 2 for screen, speed, battery, etc.
    I don’t think Windows will ever catch up on the other two for Apps without massively subsidising it, Apple and Android are getting very well matched.
    One thing to consider though is the number of viruses popping up on Android now.
    The Play store doesn’t have the vetting process Apple does before an app is accepted so a lot of malware is finding its way in.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Go for the 4.

Like others have said, the 5 just isn’t worth the extra £270 unless you REALLY want a slighter bigger screen, a slighter faster processor and a slightly better camera.

traildog
    Free Member

And better sound…(apparently)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I swapped a 4 for a new 5. If mid have had a 4S I wouldn’t have done it. Why? It’s not worth the money for the small advantages, and I only swap phones every 2 years anyway. Assuming that the 5S comes out next year ill get a 6 when they come out! 🙂
    They are beautifully made bits of kit though, almost jewelley more than a phone.

unovolo
    Free Member

Yes the Gadget show did do a review on the Iphone 5,Lumia and One X but I think you have your wires crossed as it was the Iphone 5 that came across as the worst of the bunch ,they actually rated the Lumia quite highly the only negatives were the weight(Heaviest of the 3 tested but we’re talking a 10/20grammes) and the battery life was not as good as the One X(but better than the Iphone 5).
    At the end of the day its Apples and Pears.
    Iphones are great but so are a lot of Android AND Windows Phones if you try them out properly.
    Regards App availability ,yes the Iphone has the most available but there are thousands that are just variations of the same thing and tonnes of crap out there too.
    Most of the best Apps are available in all formats if you look or a good alternative is available if the official app is not available ie.No official Instagram for Windows Phones but plenty of alternatives.
    Most verdicts on the Iphone 5 suggest it is only a small evolution and not a big step forward for Apple and quite lacking compared to other smartphones no NFC for starters.
    All IMO 😉

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Yes the Gadget show did do a review on the Iphone 5,Lumia and One X but I think you have your wires crossed as it was the Iphone 5 that came across as the worst of the bunch ,they actually rated the Lumia quite highly the only negatives were the weight(Heaviest of the 3 tested but we’re talking a 10/20grammes) and the battery life was not as good as the One X(but better than the Iphone 5).

Think you will find it was more like 50-60g heavier.

I upgraded from the 4 to 5 (skipping 4S). If I hadn’t been due an upgrade and had the phone cheap and no extra monthly I wouldn’t have bothered. It’s really light, does everything the 4 did and some things a fair bit better. Battery life sucks though and all the cables I had are now useless until I get adapters.

My wife has the 4S, the battery life doesn’t seem great on that either. Not sure what changed from 4 to 4S, but battery life isn’t as good on the 4S.

sanderson27
    Free Member

i will pass on 5 since i’m still happy on my 4..

CountZero

I’ve yet to see the Gadget Show give a proper, unbiased review of Apple products.
    The 5 is significantly faster than previous models, in fact it runs as fast as my G3 PowerBook. The camera is a lot better than the 4S, and the Nokia has been tested and found to be noticeably poorer in low-light conditions.
    But hey, it looks pretty when showing off to your friends.
    The one-shot panorama function on the 5 is excellent, and a feature I’ve been using a lot, but not much use if you don’t take many photos.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Am posting this from iPhone 5. It’s my first iPhone but 2nd apple product I have purchased within last 2 months.

Got iPad 3rd 32gb which I have had for bout 2months and found it best thing ever for simplicity to get any info double quick. My laptop broke so lovin apple so far…

My moby contract came to an end recently and so opted for a IPhone 5 due to the fact battery life is incredible on iPad which it is also I have found on the 5.

But the camera is shockingly good and this phone weighs equivalent of a niner maxled fork to a rs pike.
    Speaker for music is very good clarity and depth but as always with me I want a speaker to rock the world from side to side.
    Count zero has just reminded me to use the panoramic feature which I will test out later on me thinks.

It is a pimp phone out of my military designed griffin funkin £30 triple pieced protector set.
    The only problem I have encountered is people on end of line having difficulty hearing me even if I lift up the waterproof seal on bottom of moby.

Not iPhones fault I don’t think.

I came from an htc desire hd which had deteriorated battery life wise sin e day one 3
    2 yrs ago.
    Longevity wise now though. Apple phone will no doubt last longer in terms of battery longevity and processing speed.
    It’s almost scary as I believe it’s faster than my actual new gen ipad!

: o

Apple get thumbs up from me but a point deducted for not allowing me to use purchased album tracks to be my ringtone!?

The 5 scores a 9/10 so far as not sure if it is a known handset problem with contacts not being ad to hear me at times.(?)
    Also the fact bout having to pay for for ringtones I mean .99 p for a 29 sec segment of a song ffs!

It’s all subjective as I am aware with moby’s etc but only time will tell…
    😀

deano8
    Free Member

I love it over my old i phone 4

It only cost me £99 to upgrade, on a £36 per month contract. I sold my old phone for £250, this enabled me to buy new bling for my bike 🙂 a rp23 new second hand and xtr rear shifter, I love them both.

Feels great when using it, thinner, lighter and quicker.
    Camera is amazing for a phone.
    Larger, clearer screen.
    You can sync to I pads, and tether your 3G from your phone so you can use I pad whilst travelling without buying more expensive i pads.

Most phones do amazing things now, it just comes down to what you can afford. You could upgrade phones and sell the 5 for £480 +
    Good luck

tarquin
    Free Member

Most phones do amazing things now, it just comes down to what you can afford. You could upgrade phones and sell the 5 for £480 +
    Good luck

You know that contract prices are inflated to pay towards the phone?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I still can’t believe that people think that the contract price doesn’t offset the phone cost! The post 2 above being the prime example.

Upgrade to new phone on £36 a month contract and sell upgraded phone, what’s the point? My iPhone SIM only contract is £16pm for 600mins calls, unlimited txt and data. so that’s £20 per month extra for the contract with a ‘free’ or ‘cheap’ phones, over 24 months this is £480!

By all means sign a contract for a subsidised phone for 2 years to help pay for the phone but don’t go thinking they’re giving you anything, no such thing as a free lunch as they say, or as ‘mericans are prone to saying, do the math.

Or ignore all this and do what you like 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

I use my smart phone for tracking cycling routes, blogging pictures, playing odd games, the Nokia has the xbox function which i will use.

At the moment i just don’t see enough progession between iphones, yes the 3gs to the 5 is major difference, but essentially its still the same phone.

deano8
    Free Member

On reflection and now being awake Blazing saddles is correct, ignore most of my post.
    Sticking with the same phone is the cheapest option and take a cheaper provider, a friend got a great deal online for about £10 a month for the sim only.
    If you have the money to buy a new high end phone outright it will work out cheaper, but you need the cash upfront. If your not bothered stick with the old and enjoy the extra cash:)

theotherjonv

Can’t stay with the same phone, battery is shagged after 3 years use and tech has moved on too far.

So like I said – she can keep a very cost effective monthly package (for another 24mo) and get the 4s phone for free and the 5 for £269

So the package undoubtedly subsidises the phone, but it’s not as if she’d be paying £20 a month more for the package (although she could opt to do that too if she wanted to get the 5 for cheaper)

jfletch
    Free Member

I can’t say that any of the new phones offer a really compelling reason to upgrade over my 4. They all do things slighly better but in general they don’t do much different.

On that basis if I had to make a choice today (and sticking with my 4 wasn’t an option) I’d probably take the 4S but insist on a 12 month contract for the same price. When mobile wallet and NFC are properly live I’d want to upgrade then so wouldn’t want to be stuck with a long expensive contract.

GrahamS

yes the 3gs to the 5 is major difference, but essentially its still the same phone.

Eh?? Not sure I know what you want then?

Your objection seems to be that despite being majorly different it is still an iPhone?
    I guess you probably need to go to some other brand to find something less iPhoney.

GrahamS

I can’t say that any of the new phones offer a really compelling reason to upgrade over my 4.

Only thing tempting me from my iPhone 4 is that the 4s supports Bluetooth Smart, so I could sync up a heart rate monitor for Endomondo etc (and use it for work too).

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘i-phone 4s vs i-phone 5’ is closed to new replies.